What is the Singularity?

ccpro

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
It is very interesting, I'd like to know how Neil DeGrasse Tyson would explain it. That guy has a way of dumbing down complex theorem for layman to understand.

Times Roman

Reaction score
It is very interesting, I'd like to know how Neil DeGrasse Tyson would explain it. That guy has a way of dumbing down complex theorem for layman to understand.

we already have AI on a limited basis. He might explain it as an exponential growth in the speed, processing power and AI's ability to understand complex algorithems. As the speed of this power accellerates, it will become self aware. It is at this moment we will have the singularity. And as this awareness grows, it will be able to comprehend things we fail to understand. This singularity will have the ability to rewrite it's code, and improve itself. Over time, it will become "godlike".

It is impossible to guess how intelligent this awareness will become in a very short period of time, much like ants have absollutely no ability to comprehend what it is we humans do.

ccpro

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
we already have AI on a limited basis. He might explain it as an exponential growth in the speed, processing power and AI's ability to understand complex algorithems. As the speed of this power accellerates, it will become self aware. It is at this moment we will have the singularity. And as this awareness grows, it will be able to comprehend things we fail to understand. This singularity will have the ability to rewrite it's code, and improve itself. Over time, it will become "godlike".

It is impossible to guess how intelligent this awareness will become in a very short period of time, much like ants have absollutely no ability to comprehend what it is we humans do.

Times, did you look at the link I posted. An example of AI doing what it does best...learning instantly!!!

Times Roman

Reaction score
Times, did you look at the link I posted. An example of AI doing what it does best...learning instantly!!!

Yes. When i was a youngster, back in elementary school (back in the late 60's), for two years i went to the lawrence livermore lab and was taught computer programming. There were no monitors. Our output devices were teletypes, and our processors were main frame computers. While I was there, there was this very rudamentary AI that you could "talk" to via a keyboard. That was 40 years ago, and although in some ways, we are light years ahead from where we were, in other ways, it still seems that a conversation has this "disjointed" feel to it. We are very quickly coming to a point where these conversations will feel "human like".

There is a simple test gauging an AI's degree of self awareness that reallly anyone can perform for themselves if they like, with their AI. The test goes like this.

Removing one self from the environment, and two possible scenerios

1) Having a conversation with an AI
2) Having a conversation with a human

(it doesn't necessarily have to be a "voice" conversation, but it would be helpful)

we are very very quickly coming to the point where you will not be able to tell the difference, nor will you be able to tell if it is the AI or the human you are speaking with. It is being suggested that this is one possible test to determine the degree of self awareness an AI possesses.