Major leg cramping....??

j2048b

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Just got a 200 mlg test shot today from doc..., so i go to work, at the gym in my building and do 2 warm up sets w just the bar, go grab a weight bar to do some overhead squats for stretches and movement to get acclimated before i add weight and DANG! BOTH QUADS CRAMP UP! Like knots! Then the inner tear drops start cramping and im like wtf? I hobble over to sit down and they r finally relaxing but crap it feels like ive done a complete workout already... Any suggestions? Im not sure wth is going on? I did not do anything as far as stretches or cardio before hand... Might that be the issue? Man alive ive got to basically start over from scratch due to 2 hernia scares and crap so im at a loss rght now...

mistah187

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I was having MAJOR cramp issues a while back. They would wake me up in the middle of the night. Like locked up to where I couldn't move. I started taking taurine and upped my glutamine and they went away. People say it's bs but it absolutely worked for me.

j2048b

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I was having MAJOR cramp issues a while back. They would wake me up in the middle of the night. Like locked up to where I couldn't move. I started taking taurine and upped my glutamine and they went away. People say it's bs but it absolutely worked for me.

Im gonna have to get some and see what happens thanks man!

nastyNate

Reaction score
On just test now? How old are you, do you take any antihypertensives (more specifically looking for potassium wasting loop diuretics), on any other rx meds?

I assume you're hydrated pretty good

PillarofBalance

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Hydrate. This has nothing to do with the test

j2048b

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
On just test now? How old are you, do you take any antihypertensives (more specifically looking for potassium wasting loop diuretics), on any other rx meds?

I assume you're hydrated pretty good

Just test, some normal protein powder, new usplabs amino stuff, and creatine, just started it today...im 36

Basic cholesterol stuff at night:

Coq10, nac, ryr, aspirin,

j2048b

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Hydrate. This has nothing to do with the test

Yeah ive been downing the water alot more lately... Just do not understand how 2 warm up sets could destroy my legs... Perhaps something from the list

PillarofBalance

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Yeah ive been downing the water alot more lately... Just do not understand how 2 warm up sets could destroy my legs... Perhaps something from the list

Well if you are home now look up "couch stretch" on youtube. It's getting hot out so time to drink more water. Shit happens

BigGameHunter

Veteran
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Increase water, bananas, V8s, spinach and yogurt you wont cramp. Heat can bring on cramps up the potassium you'll be fine.

nastyNate

Reaction score
Hydration is way up there on the list of causes but also keep in mind low magnesium, calcium and obviously potassium. I'm sure you keep an eye on your bp but if not check it out 3 or 4 times a day for a few days to get a baseline read. If it is high get a chem panel and look at creatinine and gfr. you'll see the occasional person with extremity cramping from nac but usually in the setting other medical comorbidities, not so much in relatively young healthy people.

without obvious cause, I like the idea of checking electrolytes and renal function pretty aggressively. untreated htn can present early as ext cramps not so much from the hypertension but the secondary effects on renal function.

j2048b

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Increase water, bananas, V8s, spinach and yogurt you wont cramp. Heat can bring on cramps up the potassium you'll be fine.

Yeah been at a banana a day for a few weeks now, almost agallon of water downed today, gonna have to start adding in some different foods as u said bgh!

j2048b

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Hydration is way up there on the list of causes but also keep in mind low magnesium, calcium and obviously potassium. I'm sure you keep an eye on your bp but if not check it out 3 or 4 times a day for a few days to get a baseline read. If it is high get a chem panel and look at creatinine and gfr. you'll see the occasional person with extremity cramping from nac but usually in the setting other medical comorbidities, not so much in relatively young healthy people.

without obvious cause, I like the idea of checking electrolytes and renal function pretty aggressively. untreated htn can present early as ext cramps not so much from the hypertension but the secondary effects on renal function.

Im gonna have to get a heart rate monitor and also got a theraputic phlebotomy comming up on friday, gonna talk to doc about getting a very in depth bw done next week or after as i get one done e5years, and its about 5 pages long...

nastyNate

Reaction score
good deal. the severity of what you described gets my attention. I would be hesitant to write it off as just hypokalemia or dehydration especially after you mentioning the fluid intake etc.

PillarofBalance

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
good deal. The severity of what you described gets my attention. I would be hesitant to write it off as just hypokalemia or dehydration especially after you mentioning the fluid intake etc.

aids????????

Pinkbear

Elite
Reaction score
J20 you drink energy drinks?
I used to drink them all the time and I had major cramps to. Nothing like waking up in the middle of the night with two Charles horses.
But I rarely drink them anymore and haven't had many cramps that I can remember.

But hydration is key. And anything else some has said before me

Jayjay82

Elite
Reaction score
Branched chain amino acids and taurine will help make sure you are also getting your daily vitamins

j2048b

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I have the new amino blast stuff from usplabs..., it does have energy stuff in it....

EVERYBODYS GOT AIDS, aids aids....

j2048b

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
good deal. the severity of what you described gets my attention. I would be hesitant to write it off as just hypokalemia or dehydration especially after you mentioning the fluid intake etc.

Yeah im not sure wth is going on but 2 warm up sets, dang near a gallon of h20, today, and the legs feel like ive done a shit ton of sets.... A banana and shake for bfast, another shake at work a few hours before gym. And a few chicken breasts w rice and veggies eaten today.... Usplabs amino lift is what the new supplement ive added this week....