Calorie/Protein shake.

SkinnyAssShotgun

Reaction score
Afternoon.
So I've been taking Dymatize mass gainer.
It adds around a thousand calories and over 20 grams of protein to my diet.
I take it sometimes with an egg and milk usually.
Lately I've came across some research that says it's better to eat something small like a banana before a workout.
I'm trying to gain as much weight as possible as quick as possible thoughts on when the best time to drink this would be?
A few months back I would try to drink a small shake before workout and after workout.
Now I am unsure.
Some thoughts on when to drink it and why?thanks in advance , Skinny.

IHI

Elite
Reaction score
Do you put gas in the car so it has fuel to take you places? Same goes with food before a workout, gotta have fuel to burn if you want to kick ass. I tried working out at 4am fasted from a night of sleep, didn't go well, as well. Now I do my oatmeal/protein shake, light cardio to get nutrients flowing and blood pumping, then workout. The result of even this quick shake has made a big difference in my workouts, then post workout I eat like an asshole to spike blood sugar and feed body post workout nutrients.

Jada

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Word of advice watch what u eat or u going to be adding unnecessary fat, gaining weight as per being in bodybuilding it's something you want to do gradually. For diet help we have a section for that.

CardinalJacked

Squat King
Reaction score
Afternoon.

How much protein?

That a pretty shitty mass gainer to be getting what over 20g of protein means for 1000 calories.

Joliver

E-Fighter Extraordinaire
Reaction score
I think serious mass is 25 grams on 600 cals. You may be reading the label wrong. You reading the single or double scoop side of the nutritional label?

trodizzle

Elite
Reaction score
Afternoon.
I take it sometimes with an egg and milk usually.
Lately I've came across some research that says it's better to eat something small like a banana before a workout.
I'm trying to gain as much weight as possible as quick as possible thoughts on when the best time to drink this would be?
A few months back I would try to drink a small shake before workout and after workout.
Now I am unsure.
Some thoughts on when to drink it and why?thanks in advance , Skinny.

Doesn't matter, calories are calories drink it when you want, your body doesn't care.

John Ziegler

Elite
Reaction score
First and foremost that chick in your Avi is totally hot I'd lick that middle finger fresh out of her butt hole.

The best time to drink that would be right after a big meal as a preworkout then again after a big meal as a post workout.

Those are good tasting extra calories that will also stretch out your stomach so you can start eating more.

stonetag

Elite
Reaction score
To gain weight, the best time to consume calories is before bed.

Yeah, "they" always tell you don't eat after 8pm, but do you want to gain some poundage? What Jol said!

SuperBane

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Who gives a ****.
Over a period of time it comes down to daily calorie intake vs what has been expended is it not?
Macros (and total calories) are an individual assessment based on body type and goals is it not?
At the end of the day:
Eat BIG Lift Heavy Sleep good. (To bulk)

Last edited:

automatondan

Elite
Reaction score
Yeah, "they" always tell you don't eat after 8pm, but do you want to gain some poundage? What Jol said!

I believe the origin of this urban myth is rooted in the 1984 fantasy classic "Gremlins."

Personally, I want to become a monster, so I eat most of my macros after midnight...

Last edited:
Reaction score
The best time to eat is when you're not eating. That's how you bulk.

This, Timing really isn't everything in a bulk. Least that's what I have found. Just get my in all my calories everyday. Add weight to the scale. Adjust my calories as needed for added weight.

CardinalJacked

Squat King
Reaction score
According to Brian Shaw.."Eat every two hours until you're about to puke. If you have to, throw in a pizza at night just to get some extra calories."

saltylifter

Elite
Reaction score
For me I have a shake and a protein cookie before working out then I'll do a mass shake before bed, something slow to digest.

TheBlob

Elite
Reaction score
Man talk all this talk worrying about small pieces to the puzzle. (fyi eating before bed DOES NOT cause you to gain weight utter bioscience). Brother its this simple. If you are not gaining any weight. Increase your calories..BOOOM. I would recommend increasing carbs if you are already consuming enough protein. Just like that. Don't worry about timing or any of that crap. Just worry about coming up with a schedule and eating your calories

Reaction score
i drink a weight gainer shake after my workout. it's cheaper to just make your own rather than buy some overpriced product. my recipe is 1 tbsp. coconut oil 1.5 tbsp. peanut butter, one egg, some milk, 3/4 cup oatmeal and 1.5 scoop protein powder. weight gainer shakes typically make me fart a lot so i prefer to drink it after.

John Ziegler

Elite
Reaction score
Timing really isn't everything in a bulk.

Not speaking for everyone but me personally, timing does matter.

If I don't eat right before and soon after the workout my body will get sore easier and feel lousy.

There is also a time around say 20 hours after a workout that I get super hungry.

If I don't eat big at the time that hunger kicks in I get sore angry and lethargic.

If I do eat big at that time then take a nap I wake up feeling big & strong.

New Threads