Deadlift PR

nissan11

Elite
Reaction score
I haven't posted an training videos in a while so I thought I would upload one. I was able to pull 520 today.

When you guys test your PR do you do accessory work after or just stop after your heaviest pull?

NbleSavage

Veteran
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Congrats on the PR!!

Listen to PoB, DYS, Ecks on the accessory work relative to yer PR. Me personally, I only test PRs maybe once every quarter.

ECKSRATED

UG BENCH KING
Reaction score
Congrats brother.

Yes u can still do some light accessory work after. Just don't go crazy. Its different for a lot of guys some are spent after a max effort day and some aren't.
And I think u could have pulled that for at least a double Nissan.

snake

Veteran
Reaction score
520.....B O O M! Nice job my man.

nissan11

Elite
Reaction score
Congrats on the PR!!

Listen to PoB, DYS, Ecks on the accessory work relative to yer PR. Me personally, I only test PRs maybe once every quarter.

I've knocked the frequency of testing PR's back from every cycle to every other training cycle, or every 14 weeks.

DF

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I agree with X. You got more in the tank there. Congrats on the PR!

SFGiants

Elite
Reaction score
If your testing a PR warm up real good the when you get to the lift you're testing you should take big jumps and singles only then do accessories as you please, some programs have you cut down the accessories some don't.

For a 520
135x5
225x3
315x1
405x1
475x1
505x1
520x1

If it was a meet it would look like this

Last edited:

PillarofBalance

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
That was @8. Nice job. Smart move pushing the testing back. I actually prefer to use a 3rm for testing weekly.

As for accessory work after that's up to you. Some light stuff isn't a bad idea after this like split squats or hypers with bodyweight.

Could always get some extra pressing in after too

Seeker

Veteran
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Nice work, Datsun. Good shit. I can't understand why people roll their eyes to the celing when they squat and deadlift. Haha

Milo

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Good shit. RPE 8 you had more.

halfwit

Elite
Reaction score
Nice work, Datsun. Good shit. I can't understand why people roll their eyes to the celing when they squat and deadlift. Haha

It's to keep your spine aligned. I guess it's considered old school, but if you pick a point on the ceiling or area in front of you, you're less apt to turn your head, potentially tweaking your back. :)

Nice PR OP! I bet you could have hit 535 though, given how you still looked pretty strong after the lift. ;)

Milo

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
It's to keep your spine aligned. I guess it's considered old school, but if you pick a point on the ceiling or area in front of you, you're less apt to turn your head, potentially tweaking your back. :)

Nice PR OP! I bet you could have hit 535 though, given how you still looked pretty strong after the lift. ;)

If I picked my head up and looked at the ceiling I'd probably pinch a number of nerves. I'm no doc, but that position doesn't look conducive to spinal alignment. Actually looks like it would make it worse. A neutral head position is what would keep the spine "aligned".

halfwit

Elite
Reaction score
If I picked my head up and looked at the ceiling I'd probably pinch a number of nerves. I'm no doc, but that position doesn't look conducive to spinal alignment. Actually looks like it would make it worse. A neutral head position is what would keep the spine "aligned".

I hate quoting other forums for articles because it can be misconstrued as bro-science, but he does link to some good information. I wanted to provide some actual pubmed stuff for you, but I'm in a hurry to get to a movie with the wife. I learned this back in the 90's when I was into competitive powerlifting, so I haven't stayed super current on new lifting techniques or styles - but it looks as if it still holds true according to the five minutes I spent on Google. :)