Neck Tension When Lifting

Reaction score
I dont know if I'm tensing the back of my neck or shoulders.. But when I do certain exercises like barbel curls or military press.. Or cable chest flys ect I sometimes get a tension/burning/exertion like feeling in the back of my neck. Im not sure if its because I'm stiffening my neck or something is off with my posture?

This started when I was doing heavy military presses about 3 years ago.. But why would it happen doing bicep curls?

Wierd cant see my post..

Last edited:
Reaction score
I dont know if I'm tensing the back of my neck or shoulders.. But when I do certain exercises like barbel curls or military press.. Or cable chest flys ect I sometimes get a tension like feeling in the back of my neck. Im not sure if its because I'm stiffening my neck or something is off with my posture?

This started when I was doing heavy military presses about 3 years ago.. But why would it happen doing bicep curls?

Wierd cant see my post..

Last edited:
Reaction score
I dont know if I'm tensing the back of my neck or shoulders.. But when I do certain exercises like barbel curls or military press.. Or cable chest flys ect I sometimes get a tension like feeling in the back of my neck. Im not sure if its because I'm stiffening my neck or something is off with my posture?

Wierd cant see my post..

Viduus

Elite
Reaction score
Focus on intentionally pushing your shoulders down and back regardless of the excercise. I had the same issue.

Turns out I was rolling them forward throughout the day. Lifting made me tense up even more.

BRICKS

Veteran
Reaction score
That happens when you curl in the squat rack. Don't curl in the squat rack.

Note: Unless it's your home gym. Then do whatever the fk you want to.

Seeker

Veteran
SI Founding Member
Reaction score

I can only imagine the things you've done in your squat rack

Reactions: Jin
Reaction score

lol �� nope not me

Reaction score
Focus on intentionally pushing your shoulders down and back regardless of the excercise. I had the same issue.

Turns out I was rolling them forward throughout the day. Lifting made me tense up even more.
interesting thank you!

Rhino99

Elite
Reaction score
I recentlyherniated 2 discs in my neck and they compressed 2 nerves.
Pain and burning were 2 of the results.
Let me tell you dude, you dont want that kind of pain.
Take your symptoms as a warning sign and change things up.

Battletoad

Reaction score
I experienced the same issues *unfortunately* when going a little too heavy, and straining too hard. I have a natural tendency to kinda crane my nack back when I want to grind out that last rep or two. Drop your weight down a bit, and try to keep your head neutral (straight ahead). I know it's a bit of a disputed topic, but try some dedicated neck training during your accessory training for awhile. I found that a lot of the stress was localized in my cervical spine, and as mentioned earlier, that kind of injury is awful. Step things back a bit, and build your stabilising musculature throughout your neck and shoulder girdle.

New Threads