Anavar and liver toxicity

Reaction score
Guys,

I need some advice here.
Briefly about myself, 33yo, male, 183cm, 90kg (from 82 on Jan 1st to 90kg end fo Feb).
Not counting my macros but making sure I get at least 160g of protein in every day.

I've recently run a short Anavar cycle for about 8 week (50mg/day) and had a liver test about 10 days after finishing the cycle. My liver results were alarming with a GPT of 140 (apparently the healthy range is 0-30).
For reference
GOT 50
GTP 15
ALD 148
LDH 193

I had some issues 6 months ago when I was on D-bol but after finishing the cycle, the numbers looked good about 3 months later... that's when I then started with Anavar...

Now my questions are
1. how bad is a GPT of 140? I get that it's way above the healthy range but does it mean my liver is already fried or is there hope?
2. will this go down to normal levels again over the next few weeks?

By the way, I take Liv-52 but nothing else to protect my liver.

Any thoughts, comments, feedback are welcome.

Thank you

Gadawg

The Tick
Reaction score
I dont know what that exact liver value is but generally, increased liver enzymes show stress and not necessarily damage. Do you take anything else (painkillers, booze, pills of any kind really)? From all the reading Ive done on it, anavar is not nearly as toxic to the liver as most other orals.

maxmuscle1

Elite
Reaction score
Tudca-Nac-Gluthianone. Research articles. Only thing I know besides anti inflammatory supps like curcumin and r-ala

BRICKS

Veteran
Reaction score
SGPT and SGOT are the older names for ALT and AST respectively. These can bump up above normal range just from heavy weight training. That number is not alarming. Recheck again down in 3 months if it makes you feel better, but an 8 week run of 50 of anavar isn't gonna fry your liver.

Side note: not saying it's you, I don't know your habits, but it makes me chuckle a little when guys get concerned about a few weeks of reasonable oral AAS use when they drink alcohol.

Last edited:

PillarofBalance

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
We not expect normal liver values on orals. Simple as that. If you are turning yellow you have cause for concern. Short of that, limit usage and you will be fine. Enjoy the pumps :)

Now get some test to go with the var since you have a pp cause oral only is for girls.

Rot-Iron66

Elite
Reaction score
Tudca-Nac-Gluthianone. Research articles. Only thing I know besides anti inflammatory supps like curcumin and r-ala

This ^^

I take TUDCA, NAC, injectible Glutathione (Amino's Unlimited or Racehorse Meds) and also this Solgar product w/ L-Methionine and other stuff.

https://www.solgar.com/SolgarProducts/Lipotropic-Factors-Tablets.htm

Get off the orals for a couple of months and get re-tested, you'll probably be fine..

DieYoungStrong

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Nothing had ever fukked up my liver values more then a statin.

JuiceTrain

Elite
Reaction score
Love me some Var;
Keeps my pp nice and vascular

Reaction score
I dont know what that exact liver value is but generally, increased liver enzymes show stress and not necessarily damage. Do you take anything else (painkillers, booze, pills of any kind really)? From all the reading Ive done on it, anavar is not nearly as toxic to the liver as most other orals.

That's what I thought too. I'm not taking anything else and only have 1 drink 2-3 days a week but nothing excessive.

SGPT and SGOT are the older names for ALT and AST respectively. These can bump up above normal range just from heavy weight training. That number is not alarming. Recheck again down in 3 months if it makes you feel better, but an 8 week run of 50 of anavar isn't gonna fry your liver.

I had a pretty hectic and intense work schedule, a lot of stress, plus 5 workouts a week. That might have had an impact too but let's be honest... the major factor is the Anavar. I'll keep checking on a regular basis.

Thanks, guys. Much appreciated.

Last edited: