Anyone have experience with arthritis in hands?

Reaction score
I feel I have the onset of arthritis coming in my hands, specifically the thumb knuckels, (1st and 2nd joints) and some of my other fingers. I used to crack my knuckles. I've heard it said that this does NOT cause arthritis, however what I've noticed is that I can't crack them anymore because it hurts, for the last few years this has been the case. So that tells me there is inflammation. I'm not sure what a GP would advise for this kind of minor pain, maybe just some ibuprofen or something?

BrotherIron

Reaction score
I know arthritis is common among BJJ practioners and they will soak their hands in cold/ ice water and work on putting their hands through their full ROM to keep things moving well.

For inflammation you want to look into tumeric, ginger, garlic, etc.

OldeBull1

Reaction score
I've recently experienced tendinitis in my wrists and forearms. I've started using wrist wraps with my pressing and straps with pulling. It helps take some strain away.

Adrenolin

Bad Daddy
Reaction score
More cts here. Numb/stingliness in my left wrist and forearm, occasional nerve pain in my left hand. I haven't found anything that helps other than moving it more

flenser

Elite
Reaction score
I've had osteoarthritis in my hands (and elsewhere) for years. Knuckle cracking is an ingrained habit at this point, because it generally give some relief to the achy feeling. One thing I've learned, though, is if I have difficulty cracking a given knuckle, forcing it will cause a LOT of inflammation. So does pulling on it, which seems to be an impulse with me when I can't crack it.

The only thing I take for it is gelatin, though a lot of people swear by various joint supplements. Those never work for me. If I haven't eaten much gelatin in a while and the arthritis flares up, adding it back in to my diet provides very noticeable relief in under 24 hours. It won't do anything for inflammation directly, but it might reduce the conditions causing it.

I have some minor CTS as well. Gelatin doesn't touch that, unfortunately.

Reaction score
I have arthritis at the base of both thumbs and I carefully place them to reduce the pain on pulls and bench. In addition I wear wrist wraps as well.

Reaction score
More cts here. Numb/stingliness in my left wrist and forearm, occasional nerve pain in my left hand. I haven't found anything that helps other than moving it more

Fluid balances shift towards things being more swollen at night which is why CTS is typically worst at night / early morning when you wake up. It can be difficult to treat. Nocturnal splints for your wrists is where they’ll usually start. PT after that and if it’s not improving refer you to Ortho for surgery evaluation. Your probably doing a lot of the same stuff PT would do, extreme extension at wrist to slide those tendons into the sheath and stretch them out. Like others have suggested you can soak your hands in a mini ice bath for the hand pain. Seconds on the turmeric. Do you type a lot at work? Sometimes you pounding away at the keys can exacerbate it. You got to perfect that gentle… stroke?

Adzg

Reaction score
I don’t think cracking causes arthritis. Possibly doesn’t help the situation if there is arthritis coming on. I’d suggest exercises that don’t force you to squeeze or hold tight. Maybe working on the muscles in your forearm to reduce tension from there.

I have arthritis in my lower neck and I have found massaging my traps (top, middle and lower) makes a big difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yano

Flatlandah
Reaction score
Takes me a few minutes in the morning to even get my fingers moving , some ibuprofen , turmeric , good hot shower and im ready for the morning work out. For me cold is the worst , hands start to ache and then I can't even move them after a few minutes.

New Threads