Best workouts for a thicc chest

1bigun11

Elite
Reaction score
Guys, move on already. @CJ already asked for people to get back on topic and stop beating a dead horse.

1. People are stating their opinions, this is fine to debate as long as it doesn't get ugly. Everyone has the ability to stop the back and forth; all it takes is one side to exit the conversation.

2. Everyone has made their points about consistency, stating the obvious, and what they think is really important. The OP is smart enough to decide what is relevant and what isn't.

3. This back and forth is exiting the realm of being productive. If people continue, then I'll just start thread banning people. I don't care about name or status.
Yeah, and who was the first person to start posting in the thread after CJ said to cool it? That's right. FearthaGear. He started it right back up, then went right back to whining to you like a little baby when it did.

Yeah, you guys got another one of those on your hands.

Send0

Taskmaster (Moderator)
Reaction score
Yeah, and who was the first person to start posting in the thread after CJ said to cool it? That's right. FearthaGear. He started it right back up, then went right back to whining to you like a little baby when it did.

Don't care about then; that's gone and past... already happened. I care about what happens from here on forward.

FearThaGear

Reaction score

POST #155

@Candice?

So, just for the record, nothing about this post is untrue. There isn't one specific exercise that is going to make your chest or any muscle for that matter thicker if you use it exclusively. In order to make your muscle thicker, more developed and to promote overall growth, you have to hit it from all angles.

Also, regardless of the naysayers, without consistency, progress will be much slower if at all. I mentioned this because too often, especially when someone first starts training, they are excited and are always motivated to workout. Over time, the newness(for a lack of better words) can wear off. This is where you have to push yourself to keep going, even on the days that you can find excuses not to go.

Regardless of the naysayers and argumentative comments, this is something that needs to be said, especially for someone who is just getting started. This life is a commitment.

You can do exclusively free weights whether it be all barbell or all dumbbell movements or a combination of both. If you like machines better, train with machines. The fact is simply this. It is always better to train with a combination of exercises that ensure that you are hitting the muscle from all angles whether it be upper and lower chest, inner and outer quads or back exercises that hits traps, rhomboid and lats, shoulder have 3 heads that need to be worked in order to get complete development. Even the smaller muscles like biceps and triceps where you need to hit both heads. Biceps even have a third focus point being the brachialis that a lot of people don't realize.

There isn't a true one exercise to reach your goal.

PS: My apologies for responding to the original poster like this and getting attacked for it.

silentlemon1011

Resident Jizz Towel
Reaction score
POST #155

@Candice?

So, just for the record, nothing about this post is untrue. There isn't one specific exercise that is going to make your chest or any muscle for that matter thicker if you use it exclusively. In order to make your muscle thicker, more developed and to promote overall growth, you have to hit it from all angles.

Also, regardless of the naysayers, without consistency, progress will be much slower if at all. I mentioned this because too often, especially when someone first starts training, they are excited and are always motivated to workout. Over time, the newness(for a lack of better words) can wear off. This is where you have to push yourself to keep going, even on the days that you can find excuses not to go.

Regardless of the naysayers and argumentative comments, this is something that needs to be said, especially for someone who is just getting started. This life is a commitment.

You can do exclusively free weights whether it be all barbell or all dumbbell movements or a combination of both. If you like machines better, train with machines. The fact is simply this. It is always better to train with a combination of exercises that ensure that you are hitting the muscle from all angles whether it be upper and lower chest, inner and outer quads or back exercises that hits traps, rhomboid and lats, shoulder have 3 heads that need to be worked in order to get complete development. Even the smaller muscles like biceps and triceps where you need to hit both heads. Biceps even have a third focus point being the brachialis that a lot of people don't realize.

PS: My apologies for responding to the original poster like this and getting attacked for it.

Yes there is
EMG stimulation of Bench press and DB press is categorized at 100

You can add things like cable or DB flies once you pushed past failure, but they are less effective

Your OPINION is not correct
It is wrong
If you want to argue, at least back your points with science please

If you check electrical stimulation on the three heads of the tricep in every exercise that thr main mechanical tension is being put kn the tricep.....you will also see you are incorrect.

A discussion typically entails....
Step 1
Make a point
Step 2
Prove your Point
Step 3,
See what other people come up with in terms of relative data
Step 4
Review and see which is more scientifically proven and what is proven by people with extensive experience
Step 5,
Summerize

Youre just repeating yourself ad nauseum about something that wasnt asked without any data.

I and everyone else is happy to discuss a science/experience based approach based off of the current discussion....none of which you are currently doing

RiR0

Sage of Swole
Reaction score
POST #155

@Candice?

Wrong again. You don’t have to hit it from all angles. This is objectively wrong.

Also again no one argued against consistency.

FearThaGear

Reaction score
Yes there is
EMG stimulation of Bench press and DB press is categorized at 100

You can add things like cable or DB flies once you pushed past failure, but they are less effective

Your OPINION is not correct
It is wrong
If you want to argue, at least back your points with science please

If you check electrical stimulation on the three heads of the tricep in every exercise that thr main mechanical tension is being put kn the tricep.....you will also see you are incorrect.

A discussion typically entails....
Step 1
Make a point
Step 2
Prove your Point
Step 3,
See what other people come up with in terms of relative data
Step 4
Review and see which is more scientifically proven and what is proven by people with extensive experience
Step 5,
Summerize

Youre just repeating yourself ad nauseum about something that wasnt asked without any data.

I and everyone else is happy to discuss a science/experience based approach based off of the current discussion....none of which you are currently doing
OK so. are you saying that all he need is dumbbell or barbell bench press and he will have a thick chest? I just want to make sure I understand.

If so, can you link this science study that led to your conclusion since it is necessary to prove your argument?

I am all about data.

1bigun11

Elite
Reaction score
Wrong again. You don’t have to hit it from all angles. This is objectively wrong.

Also again no one argued against consistency.
Next he will be saying to do preacher curls to lengthen his biceps, and concentration curls for peak.

RiR0

Sage of Swole
Reaction score
OK so. are you saying that all he need is dumbbell or barbell bench press and he will have a thick chest? I just want to make sure I understand.

If so, can you link this science study that led to your conclusion since it is necessary to prove your argument?

I am all about data.
Absolutely. A big chest be built with barbells and dbs.
as a coach you understand this correct?
What builds muscle? Mechanical tension.

If you take an incline bench press for 135lbs for 10-12 reps and get it to 300lbs for 10-12 do you not understand that person would have a much larger chest?

silentlemon1011

Resident Jizz Towel
Reaction score

I am all about data.

I did not say that
Read again
But technically yes
You will fully stimulate your chest with Bench or DB press

Hence why most coaches preach "Heavy movers" first

Here is an example
Do Bench
max working set RPE 10x2

First set x12
Next set youre going to lose reps if you pushed RPE10
x8

Now youve exhausted the most effective mover
Time to move onto something less exhaustive and more isolated to push yourself to hell.
Im a fan of moving to a machine like Smith or Hammerstrength incline to try and beat myaelf up more

No ine said consistency is a BAD thing
Consistency is good

But if you are consistent and using thr most effective movers that engage the muscle thr most.. initially... then move on to smaller isolated movements....
it will be MORE effective

No one said you wont gain from what you said

But imagine you add science and effective movements TO a consistent program

Thats MORE effective

The initial top was BEST
Not what "Works so to speak"

If you want to see the numbers, google "EMG chest exercise"
Its fairly clear

silentlemon1011

Resident Jizz Towel
Reaction score

I am all about data.

Its kind of like your tricep point

Dips are the undisputed king of tricep movements, its just that simple

Isolation of a singular head is for bringing up symmetry

Even on a short head movement, youre still hitting long head.

If you use dips to stimulate all 3 heads and push to failure....youre going to get insanely strong

Being insanely strong lets you oush higher weight in every movement... thats going to build size

Quite simply the basic idea of mechanical tension and progressive overload will never change.
More strength = More weight
More weight = More mechanical tension
Mechanical Tension to failure = Gains

SFGiants

Elite
Reaction score
True story, I did feel pumped from push ups yeasterd lol.

Reactions: DF

RiR0

Sage of Swole
Reaction score
There’s a coach as well as an ex pro who has been in this game a long time. Very very long time.
Big fucker.

His chest work for his off season routine that he used throughout his whole career and who he had all of his competitor clients use
Was 2 movements for chest 1 set each to failure 1x a week.

An example would be
Incline bench 6-9 reps
Db fly 6-9 reps

Add weight or reps each week. Each set to failure.
If a movement stalled 2-3 weeks in a row change it.
That’s it

FearThaGear

Reaction score
Bench press wins every time using EMG stats.

So here is one take with some data backing it up using EMG statistics. Barbell bench beat all of the others here.

More data suggesting the flat barbell bench as the best exercise using EMG

This one talks about the importance of bench angles to stimulate more growth for difference areas of the chest. IE: More than one exercise to increase growth potential.

white ape

Elite
Reaction score
It's all I do know, but because of my past I'm not flat, just a lot smaller and weaker lol.

I train functionally for a specific sport to have legs and a free arm slot.

Since you don’t ever tell us what sport I always imagine you being on a world level curling team. The ice sport. Not a gym thing

RiR0

Sage of Swole
Reaction score
Bench press wins every time using EMG stats.

So here is one take with some data backing it up using EMG statistics. Barbell bench beat all of the others here.

More data suggesting the flat barbell bench as the best exercise using EMG

This one talks about the importance of bench angles to stimulate more growth for difference areas of the chest. IE: More than one exercise to increase growth potential.
Okay do you wanna get into the limitations of emg studies?