Cheat Day ...

transcend2007

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
My opinion is, if you’re not trying to meet a deadline, like a show, and just trying to get generally leaner then it’s not a big deal as long as you get back to it.

I think for most, as far as general pop goes, these “cheats” derail them and they don’t ever get back on board 100%. And that’s the problem. Not the one day.

Even several days if you’ve been doing great for a long period of time, and then after continue to do great. And that’s assuming you don’t go from extremes like 1800 calories a day to 5 days of 8000 calories a day lol.

My check is always that I feel way better eating Whole Foods, so junk food back to back gives my brain fog, allergies act up, and my joints start feeling a little achy so I want to be back on track regardless of fitness goals.

Now I think things change a little if you’re trying to be really lean, like 6,7,8 % body fat.

But I’ve never been that lean so I can’t speak much for that, otherthan for me, I’d have to be pretty dang strict and I don’t want that bad enough. I’ll stick to the low teens as good for me.
I'm right there with you ... 15% is my goal ... right at 20% currently ... on vacation so I'm not panicking about a few high calorie days ... but also want to not get crazy ...

Oakley6575

Reaction score
I'm about 15% trying to get to 10% rn. I rarely go off diet, but if I do it needs to be something worthwhile, like really good, and even then I don't go crazy with it.
I don't know how that is possible. 😞

iGone

The Reporter
Reaction score
Man I wish I had the appetite y'all do.

My biggest downfall is NOT eating. When I was up around 4,000 calories I was struggling on the weekends to even eat 2k because I was at home and not in my routine.
Cutting now has been a cake walk after 18 months of bulking lol.

With that said my go to off plan meal is chickfila

2 spicy chicken sandwiches
medium waffle fry
large dr pepper
3-4 chickfila sauces

followed by a fat nap

Test_subject

Super Duper Elite
Reaction score
I don’t do the cheat day thing because I go off the rails easily ,so it’s just a bad idea.

If I want a ribeye, I’m having a ribeye. I just plan the rest of my macros for the day around it.

Diesel59

Elite
Reaction score
If I want a ribeye, I’m having a ribeye. I just plan the rest of my macros for the day around it.

For most people, this is the best approach IMO.

I sometimes find a "cheat snack" is enough for me. Some treat in-between clean meals goes a long way to keeping me happy while staying within my numbers.

transcend2007

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
All I can say is thank God it was not a cruise ... that is about only I could eaten worse ... let ass whoopin and kicks in the nuts fly ... my discipline was sub-optimal ...

TomJ

"Elite" 😏
Reaction score
Man I wish I had the appetite y'all do.

My biggest downfall is NOT eating. When I was up around 4,000 calories I was struggling on the weekends to even eat 2k because I was at home and not in my routine.
Cutting now has been a cake walk after 18 months of bulking lol.

With that said my go to off plan meal is chickfila

2 spicy chicken sandwiches
medium waffle fry
large dr pepper
3-4 chickfila sauces

followed by a fat nap
This is me in a nutshell. Off-season eating is the bane of my existence. The farthest I get off plan is skipping meals.

I lost 6lbs over MDW eating entirely off plan, all the junk I wanted, a decent amount of drinks, whatever.

Still less than I'm supposed to eat.

Reaction score
I call them growth days as long as you haven't been a pussy for the last few weeks.

Listen to your body if you know how.

JAXNY

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Depending on what your goals are. For me, I like to to be as lean as possible during the summer months.
So I'll cycle my diet every year the same way at the same time of the year, every year.
Usually around May, I'll start a 12 week strict diet and get absolutely ripped by the 12th week. During these 12 weeks, I'll have one cheat day were I'll eat what ever I want and as much of it I want. This day must be the same day every week, for example every Sunday would be my cheat day. Doing this does two things for you. One, it helps keep you on your diet all week knowing that your cheat day is near, you're less likely to cheat during the week. Second, it helps trick your system from adapting to the diet and Is Plateauing.
At the end of the 12 weeks, I resume to a "sensible" diet during the summer. Nothing crazy, but enjoy yourself. By the time I begin to smooth back over, it's fall. Then I loosen up on the diet some more. By winter, during the holiday months, Thanksgiving, Christmas and New years, I eat anything and everything and bulk up. I don't car if I gain a little around the waist at this time.
Once the Month of May rolls around, I repeat the process over.
No one can diet all year every year without failing.
This process has worked well for me for many years. You look exceptional during the summer months and really decent for the rest of the year. And you keep your sanity.

Reaction score
Depending on what your goals are. For me, I like to to be as lean as possible during the summer months.
So I'll cycle my diet every year the same way at the same time of the year, every year.
Usually around May, I'll start a 12 week strict diet and get absolutely ripped by the 12th week. During these 12 weeks, I'll have one cheat day were I'll eat what ever I want and as much of it I want. This day must be the same day every week, for example every Sunday would be my cheat day. Doing this does two things for you. One, it helps keep you on your diet all week knowing that your cheat day is near, you're less likely to cheat during the week. Second, it helps trick your system from adapting to the diet and Is Plateauing.
At the end of the 12 weeks, I resume to a "sensible" diet during the summer. Nothing crazy, but enjoy yourself. By the time I begin to smooth back over, it's fall. Then I loosen up on the diet some more. By winter, during the holiday months, Thanksgiving, Christmas and New years, I eat anything and everything and bulk up. I don't car if I gain a little around the waist at this time.
Once the Month of May rolls around, I repeat the process over.
No one can diet all year every year without failing.
This process has worked well for me for many years. You look exceptional during the summer months and really decent for the rest of the year. And you keep your sanity.
Is that you in the av? Do you compete?

Jenn_is_Jenning

Female Alpha Leader
Reaction score
uhggg, I haven't had a cheat meal since my kid's birthday sept. of last year.

My cheat snack of a cheesebun I haven't had since March.
I would Kill for a burger and some cake!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

transcend2007

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
This community is honestly inspirational ... I've seen JAX over the past 12 years (impressive) and Jen steadily improve over this past year (great job) and TomJ share his diet, nutritional and workout regimens (thank you incase I've never personally extended gratitude for taking your time) and so may others ... I do track my meals daily but honestly in comparison fall considerably short ... but you guys keep me motivated and trying ... I will hit my 15% bodyfat goal in the next 45 to 60 days ...

PZT

Elite
Reaction score
uhggg, I haven't had a cheat meal since my kid's birthday sept. of last year.

My cheat snack of a cheesebun I haven't had since March.
I would Kill for a burger and some cake!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Hahaha! My animal crackers said “fk u”

Hey I bet a cheat meal would help you out psychologically. Just a thought

New Threads