Chest every day? Lagging chest.

Reaction score
One last ending comment... absolutely do not push yourself harder if you know you are nursing a shoulder injury. At least do not do it without a tool to help protect you (like the slingshot). Your shoulder injury is also another reason as to why you should definitely not be doing chest 6 days a week.

I will be 42 in about 2-3 weeks, so I completely understand your comment about needing to proceed with caution. I guess that's why I wrote a novel in my last post; I don't want to see anyone held back because of an injury... it absolutely sucks and can be demoralizing.

Anyway, good luck man.

this^^ yes! He’s right. 100%

I say slow and CONSISTENT wins the race..

Send0

Taskmaster (Moderator)
Reaction score
Totally agree here.

My recommendation of trying a 6 day program was because he is obviously not training hard enough. Otherwise 2x per week would be more than enough.

Question for you.... I never seem to get DOMS the day after a workout, but I can tell my muscles are fatigued the next day. If I try to repeat a given excercises the following day then I am unable to repeat the previous days weight, or if I can push it then I definitely can't hit the same number of reps.

Is that normal for some guys, or is this an indication that I train like a pussy? I am asking this question with all sincerity. Want to make sure I'm not subconsciously going easy on myself.

BigSwolePump

Elite
Reaction score
2x to 3x a week is plenty. Hitting your pecs every day will make you burn muscle.

BB Reclined Shoulder Press
https://exrx.net/WeightExercises/DeltoidAnterior/BBReclinedShoulderPress

DB Incline Bench Press
https://exrx.net/WeightExercises/PectoralClavicular/DBInclineBenchPress

Not necessarily.

Have you been to a planet fitness?

I have seen people train with low intensity and do total body workouts 5-6 days per week and making gains..

It all comes down to the intensity of the workout.

1bigun11

Elite
Reaction score
My drill instructor used to make us do push-ups whenever he was pissed off which was at least ten times a day, seven days a week. We would go till he got tired of watching us, or ran out of cuss words.

He did not tire easily. And knew a lot of words.

Reaction score
Thank you very much. I'll def look into the slingshot, never thought about using one. Haven't used a bar in well over a year, just sticking to dumbells, cables, bands but am gonna start using the smith machine since I go solo all the time and what not. My hand positioning is about just outside shoulder width and am trying not to flare my elbows out like I used to.

Tiny

Elite
Reaction score
I'm working on bringing my chest up. Here's how that goes.

Break chest in to 3 categories. Upper shelf, mid thickness, lower square (squaring off the low outer chest where many carry fat)

I'll pick one to work on. Day 1 work it out, nasty pump, look great. Next day, those muscles are FLAT because they're broken down. Following day they look fuller assuming I fed my body correctly the day before. Muscles are healing and growing day 3 and depending on volume day 4. I can keep volume light since I'm laser focusing training and hit another section day 4.

For a plateau, maybe some spurt of back to back training but for the most part there is no way that would work for me.

BrotherIron

Reaction score
Training is only one part of growth like so many have stated already... You have to eat and rest to repair the torn down muscle so it can grow. Different muscles are able to be trained more or less. Smaller groups seem to be able to be trained more frequently.

Send0

Taskmaster (Moderator)
Reaction score
Thank you very much. I'll def look into the slingshot, never thought about using one. Haven't used a bar in well over a year, just sticking to dumbells, cables, bands but am gonna start using the smith machine since I go solo all the time and what not. My hand positioning is about just outside shoulder width and am trying not to flare my elbows out like I used to.

I can't speak for others, but the smith machine is actually uncomfortable for me due to the bar path that it forces you to take. Not just that, but quite a few shoulder issues stem from weak stabilizer muscles, and the smith machine doesn't allow you to properly work those out (to be fair, the slingshot also doesn't let you properly work shoulder stabilizers).

You don't have to use a bar with the slingshot; you can keep using dumbbells as long as your conscience of form, bar/dumbbell path, etc. If you're interested, my current shoulder rehab/chest protocol involves doing two sets of 30-40% of my normal working weight, without using the slingshot, while doing reps until my form fails. Then I put the slingshot on, and so 2 sets of moderate to heavy weight, stopping as soon as I break form. This let's me exercise the stabilizer muscles tied to the shoulder, but also let's me get in a little bit of heavy weight to work out the chest muscles.

In addition to this, I do overhead carries, and also landmines at a low weight (but very slow eccentric and concentric motions).

The sports clinic I go to for rehab has me doing a lot more, but I feel these exercises help me the most in between my physical therapy days.

Last edited:

Send0

Taskmaster (Moderator)
Reaction score
You know... Maybe I should be asking you where you feel stress/pain in your shoulder? Are you getting it in the front delt, rear/side delt, or is it happening somewhere closer to the lat/teres major-minor/under the shoulder blade area?

Gadawg

The Tick
Reaction score
I cant recommend much for you for growth if you already have a shoulder problem. My specific type of workouts need healthy joints. Sorry to hear it. Cuff issues suck.

Send0

Taskmaster (Moderator)
Reaction score
I think more side delt

Do you feel the issue more doing lateral raises, or while doing bench press? Does it feel like fiber strand that is rubbing and catching, near the acromion (this is the boney protrusion at the top of the shoulder, kind of in-between the front and side delt where it meets the clavicle). If it doesn't feel like something rubbing/catching/etc, then how would you describe the pain/discomfort?

Reaction score
Haven't done lateral raises in probably 2 years. Hard to describe exactly the pain....I usually stop when it's just mere discomfort just to be safe. I think I have felt what you're describing years ago though. Sorry Im not giving you much to work with.

BigSwolePump

Elite
Reaction score
Question for you.... I never seem to get DOMS the day after a workout, but I can tell my muscles are fatigued the next day. If I try to repeat a given excercises the following day then I am unable to repeat the previous days weight, or if I can push it then I definitely can't hit the same number of reps.

Is that normal for some guys, or is this an indication that I train like a pussy? I am asking this question with all sincerity. Want to make sure I'm not subconsciously going easy on myself.

I am just seeing this so I apologize for the late response.

I am not sore after every single workout but when I am finished with my ideal workout. I can't go anymore. That particular muscle is shot. What I mean by this is that I would have a hard time doing a pushup without some serious concentration to keep myself from falling on my face. Biceps would be to a point where pouring a glass of milk from a gallon jug would be difficult because my arm would be shaking. I am talking about to a point where your nervous system has been effected.

At that point, you have have broken down that muscle to a point that it needs several days to recover. Working that body part the next day is as appealing as getting kicked in the sack.

To answer your question, if you don't feel like this after your workout, this doesn't mean that you train like a pussy lol. It just means that your muscle needs less time to recover so you can essentially train it more frequently.

Personally, over the last 3 decades of lifting heavy shit, I have come to terms with what is important in my life. I love working out but for me, life is short and I have no desire to miss out on other things life has to offer so I can spend 6 days per week in the gym.

When I go to the gym, I am there to do work. My mission is to destroy that muscle to a point that I don't have to go back until next week. I do this for every muscle group and don't need more than 4-5 days per week. Honestly 3 days per week has been my sweet spot for a while now.

Spring is here and Summer will follow and I have fish to fry. Ill make the most of my time in the gym when I am there but I am not leaving until I know that I don't have to fuk with that muscle until next week.

A quick suggestion, try more fly movements with dumbells and cables if you are having a hard time dialing in your upper chest. They will also help you to get the burn/pump you are looking for to really get the blood in their to feed the muscle. Years ago I used an incline bench at the cable machine to do incline flys. One of the best exercises that I ever did to dial in my upper chest..

Good Luck

Send0

Taskmaster (Moderator)
Reaction score
I am just seeing this so I apologize for the late response.

I am not sore after every single workout but when I am finished with my ideal workout. I can't go anymore. That particular muscle is shot. What I mean by this is that I would have a hard time doing a pushup without some serious concentration to keep myself from falling on my face. Biceps would be to a point where pouring a glass of milk from a gallon jug would be difficult because my arm would be shaking. I am talking about to a point where your nervous system has been effected.

At that point, you have have broken down that muscle to a point that it needs several days to recover. Working that body part the next day is as appealing as getting kicked in the sack.

To answer your question, if you don't feel like this after your workout, this doesn't mean that you train like a pussy lol. It just means that your muscle needs less time to recover so you can essentially train it more frequently.

Hah, thanks brother. Its funny you mention the push up thing. When I do chest day, and I think I'm done, I try to do a couple of push ups to wrap up to test if I'm done or not. If my arms crumble from under neath me then I call it done... if not then I pump out non stop reps until I collapse.

Anyway, appreciate the response. Now I can stop wondering if I'm training like a b**** or not LOL :D

Reaction score
Never train chest every day. Especially when you are doing 6 or more sets when training the chest.

New Threads