First Upper and Lower split

permabulker

Elite
Reaction score
Not necessarily, because when our ancestors(and some current cultures) were taking shits, they didn't have heavy loads on their backs. You can be perfectly safe in some positions unweighted where you'd be fukked if a heavy load was placed upon your body.

We're all built slightly differently, different limb lengths, different hips sockets, different ankle mobility.

I was thinking that it’s so different with no weight in comparison to adding a lot of unnatural weight which is essentially what we are doing. I suppose the smith machine also reduces the odds of doing it very wrong.

ATLRigger

Elite
Reaction score
I was thinking that it’s so different with no weight in comparison to adding a lot of unnatural weight which is essentially what we are doing. I suppose the smith machine also reduces the odds of doing it very wrong.
I can’t squat in good form unless I’m loaded with at least my own bodyweight. If I’m loaded too lightly, I can’t seem to sit back properly.

permabulker

Elite
Reaction score
I can’t squat in good form unless I’m loaded with at least my own bodyweight. If I’m loaded too lightly, I can’t seem to sit back properly.

I’m still very new to regular consistent leg days I wish I could squat my own body weight that easily. But just goes to show we are all a little different.

ATLRigger

Elite
Reaction score
I’m still very new to regular consistent leg days I wish I could squat my own body weight that easily. But just goes to show we are all a little different.
I started squatting and deadlifting about 18 mos ago. Wish i had incorporated it into workouts earlier in life.

permabulker

Elite
Reaction score
I started squatting and deadlifting about 18 mos ago. Wish i had incorporated it into workouts earlier in life.

me too man Iv always neglected legs but I feel like it’s the most adaptable muscles for workouts. And when you do it right it feels good

permabulker

Elite
Reaction score
28/01

Went in the morning today. Tired. Hips were hurting quite a bit on squats so I didn’t overdo it.

28/01
Day 2

Smith machine squat 3x10
Warm up bar, 50kg (10 reps), 50kg (8 reps) 50kg (10 reps)

Deadlift trap. 3x10
Warm up bar, 35kg (8 reps) 35kg (10 reps) 35kg (10 reps)

Leg extensions 3x10-15
40kg (10 reps) 40kg (12 reps) 40kg (12 reps)

Leg curls 3x6-10
45kg (10 reps) 45kg (9 reps) 45kg (7 reps)

Calf machine 3x10-20 (position 5)
45kg (16 reps) 45kg (13 reps) 45kg (12 reps)

Tricep extension machine
20kg (15 reps) 25kg (12 reps) 25kg (9 reps)

Cross trainer Intensity 3
8 minutes

110.9kg

permabulker

Elite
Reaction score
Okay so two things happened today.
1. I had very little motivation to go to gym and I felt weak and tired. (Yes this happens a lot I’m fat it’s harder for me than most fit people)
2. I changed several parts of my routine. I feel like although I have done well lifting on mostly machines, Iv lifted heavier and that feels good for my confidence and has helped my strength and stamina, but it’s not been giving me hypertrophic and doms and I’m starting to get frustrated again. so I’m hoping that by changing a few of my machine exercises to the dumbbell, or cable equivalent I can get some fresh motivation and better progress. I noticed I lifted heavier on some of the old exercises I used to do before joining site, probably from the last two months of upping my machine weights.

i might have made some mistakes here by changing things, I’m sure you guys will let me know, but to me it felt right and I went from a frustrating potentially wasted gym session to feeling pumped and satisfied. Workout below.

Reactions: CJ

permabulker

Elite
Reaction score
31/01
Incline bench press 3x6 last failure
Warm up bar, 60kg (6 reps) 60kg (6 reps) 60kg (6 reps)

Machine rows 3x8 to failure
Change to dumbbell pullover
20kg (8 reps) 24kg (8 reps) 26kg (8 reps)

Machine chest press 3x8
65kg (8 reps) 65kg (7 reps) 65kg (5 reps)

Machine shoulder press 3x8/12
Seat position 6
25kg (12 reps) 25kg (12 reps) 25kg (9 reps)

Machine pull down back 3x8/12 (vertical traction) change to
Cable rows
40kg (10 reps) 50kg (8 reps) 60kg (6 reps)

Cable flys 3x8 change to
Dumbbell fly’s
12kg (8 reps) 14kg (10 reps) 16kg (10 reps)

Cable Tris 3x10/15 (straight bar)
25kg (12 reps) 25kg (10 reps) 25kg (8 reps)

Dumbbell hammer curls 3x10/15
Cable hammer curls.
30kg (16 reps) 35kg (11 reps) 35kg (12 reps)

Cardio intensity 3
I know I shouldn’t skip this but it was a miracle I even went today and I trained hard.
110.8kg

Reactions: CJ

CJ

Mod Squad
Reaction score
i might have made some mistakes here by changing things, I’m sure you guys will let me know, but to me it felt right and I went from a frustrating potentially wasted gym session to feeling pumped and satisfied. Workout below.

If it gets you motivated to hit the gym and work hard, I'm cool with it.

And as long as you didn't just pick an easier exercise. :32 (8):

Last edited:

permabulker

Elite
Reaction score
If it gets you motivated to hit the gym and work hard, I'm cool with it.

I think what I did today will give me better doms and hypertrophy and most of the exercises are the same just a little more challenging because they don’t have the movement restrictions machines do. And I did have experience doing these things before so I’m doing them well.

dumbell pullover and cable rows? No if anything harder. But it felt good. Dumbbell pullover used to make it so I could barely lift my arms the next day.

Last edited:

CJ

Mod Squad
Reaction score
I think what I did today will give me better doms and hypertrophy and most of the exercises are the same just a little more challenging because they don’t have the movement restrictions machines do. And I did have experience doing these things before so I’m doing them well.

dumbell pullover and cable rows? No if anything harder. But it felt good. Dumbbell pullover used to make it so I could barely lift my arms the next day.

Just so you know, all things being equal, cable rows aren't as good as chest supported rows. With the cables you have more liberty to "cheat" the movement, bringing unwanted muscles into play. Also, when you have the chest support pad, you have something immovable to drive into, which allows you to use more force and therefore more weight. Same as with cable flies seated on a bench with a back support vs standing flyes.

Regardless though, if you prefer them, just work hard. And when you think you're working hard, work HARDER!!!

And don't worry about DOMS, your focus should be on progressing weight and/or reps every week. If you want DOMS, just whack whatever muscle you want to hurt with a hammer.

permabulker

Elite
Reaction score
Just so you know, all things being equal, cable rows aren't as good as chest supported rows. With the cables you have more liberty to "cheat" the movement, bringing unwanted muscles into play. Also, when you have the chest support pad, you have something immovable to drive into, which allows you to use more force and therefore more weight. Same as with cable flies seated on a bench with a back support vs standing flyes.

Regardless though, if you prefer them, just work hard. And when you think you're working hard, work HARDER!!!

okay so things I noticed from today
seated dumbbell flys were better. I felt some deep tension there. The same feeling about the pullover. I want that in my routine for now I know that will really test me too.

the cable rows I was indifferent I was just experimenting change. So if you think machine is better I will go back to machine for rows, and stick to the pullover and dumbbell fly’s.
what do you think?

and it’s not just about the doms thought I feel like so many machines wasn’t testing my enough. I don’t just want to be really strong I want to see change in my size.

CJ

Mod Squad
Reaction score
okay so things I noticed from today
seated dumbbell flys were better. I felt some deep tension there. The same feeling about the pullover. I want that in my routine for now I know that will really test me too.

the cable rows I was indifferent I was just experimenting change. So if you think machine is better I will go back to machine for rows, and stick to the pullover and dumbbell fly’s.
what do you think?

and it’s not just about the doms thought I feel like so many machines wasn’t testing my enough. I don’t just want to be really strong I want to see change in my size.

Does your gym have a Pec Deck? It takes the positives from both the DB flyes and cable flyes and combines them. You have constant tension through the entire range. If not, I have no issue with DB Flyes.

Also no issues with the cable row, it's a great exercise. Try different grips, different handles, see which you connect with best.

And if you want to see change in your size, that will come with moving heavy weights, so again make that your focus to progress.

Biggest thing right now is cementing the habit of you getting to the gym. Not looking for perfection in a program or exercises, step 1 is getting that habit locked in.

permabulker

Elite
Reaction score
Does your gym have a Pec Deck? It takes the positives from both the DB flyes and cable flyes and combines them. You have constant tension through the entire range. If not, I have no issue with DB Flyes.

Also no issues with the cable row, it's a great exercise. Try different grips, different handles, see which you connect with best.

And if you want to see change in your size, that will come with moving heavy weights, so again make that your focus to progress.

Biggest thing right now is cementing the habit of you getting to the gym. Not looking for perfection in a program or exercises, step 1 is getting that habit locked in.

okay man all understood thanks as always for the advice. Pec deck and me are very bad friends. Iv been using that machine since I was a kid and no matter how light I go I can’t seem to get the form/tension right.
i feel like flys on a bench I know what I’m doing... you think it’s worth going back to the deck to try and fix my issues?

CJ

Mod Squad
Reaction score
okay man all understood thanks as always for the advice. Pec deck and me are very bad friends. Iv been using that machine since I was a kid and no matter how light I go I can’t seem to get the form/tension right.
i feel like flys on a bench I know what I’m doing... you think it’s worth going back to the deck to try and fix my issues?

Nope, do the DB flies if you like them. If an exercise just fits you better, the hell with what's "optimal", do what feels best.

permabulker

Elite
Reaction score
Nope, do the DB flies if you like them. If an exercise just fits you better, the hell with what's "optimal", do what feels best.

I will try it next week just to see how it feels but I think I will use dumbbells for now.

CJ

Mod Squad
Reaction score
I will try it next week just to see how it feels but I think I will use dumbbells for now.

The DBs are fine, I never should've made that post about the cable vs supported, etc.. That's for another time, not important at all right now. Pretend you never saw it.

The exercises you chose are perfectly fine, and if you enjoy them, and connect with them, then they're the better choice.

New Threads