Full range of motion. Why?

dk8594

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Those who were in the game in the 90’s might remember the ads and introduction of Power Factor Training. They used Paul Demayo as their spokes person and it was an overly complicated system that required a stop watch and mathematics.

One of the aspects of it was the exclusive use of partial reps and I have been thinking about that a lot lately. What, other than time under tension is the benefit of full range of motion, if the all or nothing principle of muscle contraction is to be believed(ALL OR NOTHING PRINCIPLE:The nerve/muscle fiber will either fire or it won't.)

In other words, if you have the contraction, what is the point of the stretch?

CJ

Mod Squad
Reaction score

The Phoenix

Elite
Reaction score
I come from a family of bodybuilders, brother and uncle competed in 80s-90s. I was always taught to do the full extensions, ‘specially for back, biceps, pull-up & leg curls.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

OldeBull1

Reaction score
I think you are selling yourself short of both strength and hypertrophy by not doing a full range of motion. Tension at the stretched position is just as important as at the contraction. Think the bottom of pec flies.

We know that isometric work for both strength and size. But there isn't much carryover outside of a limited ROM, and hypertrophy isn't ideal from these alone. I think contraction only reps would follow the same rules.

That being said, no reason not to include partials on the reg, to augment full ROM sets.

The Phoenix

Elite
Reaction score
I think you are selling yourself short of both strength and hypertrophy by not doing a full range of motion. Tension at the stretched position is just as important as at the contraction. Think the bottom of pec flies.

We know that isometric work for both strength and size. But there isn't much carryover outside of a limited ROM, and hypertrophy isn't ideal from these alone. I think contraction only reps would follow the same rules.

That being said, no reason not to include partials on the reg, to augment full ROM sets.

My trainer has me do the fulls on slow concentrated motion and partials at the end when burning to get the pump.

New Threads