I hate alcohol

ATLRigger

Elite
Reaction score
I quit drinking and smoking on same day 4 months ago and I'm SO ****ing glad I did. I smoked for a good 25 years and drank pretty good the past 20 years so this is the longest I've ever been sober since I was a teenager. I wasn't a fall down drunk 24/7, but I did drink to excess every time I drank! I lost jobs because of drinking and relationships and I just got to the point where I wasn't happy with my actions/decisions anymore so I quit. I absolutely LOVE not waking up hungover anymore or constantly smoking.

I've recently had a chest x-ray and a full blood work panel done and luckily everything is well within range so I'm very thankful for that :)
ur lucky indeed to get out unscathed

Reaction score
I drink alcohol (scotch) every two weeks and while I don't get shit-housed I still end up having fascinating conversations with myself when it comes to dietary choices that if completely sober I would find appalling, which I do AFTER the fact when I crawl into bed hating myself for it a few hours later.

What's that? Eat 1,000 calories of those salted caramel peanuts? Sure, no problem!

Oh, I should consume an entire tub of hummus with flatbread? Nah... I better not.

inebriated brain: But it's whole grain bread...

Yeah, you're right! It could be worse... it could be white bread! Let's gooo!

I oughta only have a few handfuls of these chips.

inebriated brain: Lentil chips, it's made from legumes... and what are legumes? A Plant... It's a health food... just shut up and eat the whole bag!

You know what? You have a point... NOM NOM NOM!!!

Humans... we're strange creatures.

Last edited:

ATLRigger

Elite
Reaction score
I used to love drinking. As I got older I made worse and worse mistakes. If I went a few days without drinking I would notice severe depression once I started drinking again. Hit as close to rock bottom as I ever want to on Dec 15th. Have not drank since and do not miss it. Doing 2021 with no booze and then will reevaluate.

So yeah - I get the feeling like shit thing for a few days after drinking. Mine was more mental than physical though.
Two months sober is great

MS1605

Elite
Reaction score
I could drink a case and get up and run ten miles the next morning. But the depression and anxiety it causes always made me drink more. Perpetual cycle turned into semi functional alcoholism with bouts of non functioning including withdrawals.

This is 100% me. I can be on the top of my game the next day after drinking a bottle tequila the night before I'm just a (more) Depressed mess inside my head. I know it's NOTHING compared to being sober but I have managed to give myself only 2 days a month to consume booze. I really should try and go completely sober now that I'm in my mid 30s and staying lean seems to be getting harder and harder.

Reaction score
Hey! I know what you mean. At all the holidays I am the only one who buys water. Some people make fun of me, but I know that any kind of alcohol would make me sick, so I don't risk it.

Grinch

Reaction score
Alcohol is a cruel mistress. Very deceptive and things can snowball fast. Sobriety is hard in the sense that everything you drowned out comes back to the surface. It's never pretty but, long term it only makes you stronger. Most of the people from my past are still doing the same shit they've been doing for 20 years. Same bars, same gossip, same drama, nothing changes. Their lives seem to come to a standstill. I didnt want that and still dont and that fear of stagnation keeps me dry and moving forward.
I think everyone has vices and we all have our own forms of escapism. I wouldnt trust someone who claims they dont have a vice. The question is, what is the vice and is it worth keeping ?
My dick still smells like old hamburger....the kind that's green and has a thick film of slime on it. It even has the same greasy sheen that shimmers and dances in the light. My rotten tiny dancer.

stonetag

Elite
Reaction score
The question for me when it came to drinking was am I going to just have a couple drinks and kick back watching other folks get shitty, or am I going to keep up with the other folks and get shitty. Most often I opted for the former. Being around people drinking while not indulging much yourself is a surefire way of realizing why you decided not to drink much in the first place. I totally get the OP statement about feeling deflated after a drinking session, been in that boat.

Blusoul24

Elite
Reaction score
Speaking of alcohol, I just realized that a couple of days ago marks 4 years since I got sober again. 4 years no alcohol (or other drugs, gear aside) and no cigarettes.

hulksmash

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Read a study last night showing ethanol (alcohol) causes muscle degradation due to the toxicity of ethanol itself, instead of the cause being nutritional and vitamin deficiencies.

Things like ethanol causing a decrease in glucose uptake in skeletal tissue and blocking CoA were listed.

Reaction score
I do miss some beers. I’ll probably have 2-3 every 2 weeks when I get to my weight goal.

New Threads