I went to give blood Sunday, total fail.

Kraken

Reaction score
I went to ARC give blood for the first time yesterday. TL;DR, it was a total fail.

The lady who took me in was very nice, she checked me in and I answered a bunch of questions that my life is no way interesting enough to say yes to. She did the hemoglobin check (she called it that) with the finger prick and it came out to 20.3, which was 0.3 too high. She said we can check it again, and from the other finger it came to 19.9, so that was a pass. She figured I was there due to high everything, and suggested I do a "power red" procedure because it would lower my numbers a bit more.

I figured sure, why not. Big mistake. I have very prominent veins (I actually used to date a phlebotomist who said so all the time) but the second woman struggled to get the stick right. When she finally started the machine, it did a lot of rapid beeping. She called the first woman over, and she adjusted the needle in my arm, which of course was unpleasant. The machine finally reported green, but shortly started it's rapid beeping again. Another readjustment, green, a little time, rapid beeping again. After the third try, my blood started leaking down my arm at a pretty good pace. I was able to get someones attention and they came over, and started to adjust the needle again. Much of this time I was sweating a bit, a little dizzy and a little nauseous.

At that point I had been sitting on their couch for 30 minutes of what was supposed to be a 30 minute procedure. She told me it had not really started yet, so I told her we are giving up. She gave me a nasty look and said that I needed a little saline and then she would take the needle out. I presume she did that, and a few minutes later she came and removed the needed. I asked what the problem was and she explained that my blood was clotting. I have no idea if she is right or not. She took the needle out, cleaned the blood off my arm and then walked away. At that point everyone was just pretending I was not there. I walked over to one of the little tables and sat a bit since I was light headed and a little nauseous. After about ten minutes I just decided to leave.

I'll probably call them today and ask what actually happened, if I can try again, whatever. And so ended my first blood donation experience.

Thrawn

Elite
Reaction score
I have found the employees kinda shady.

buck

Reaction score
Depending on the phlebotomist's experience level it can make a difference. But in my 20+ years donating i have never had any real issue. May want to try another place if one is close by.

snake

Veteran
Reaction score
She was a bad sticker. Happened to me once and over the years, I'm about 2 more donations away from the 5 gal mark.

This was just a whole blood donation right? Not a double red or plasma, right?

Yano

Flatlandah
Reaction score
She was a bad sticker. Happened to me once and over the years, I'm about 2 more donations away from the 5 gal mark.

Said up top he got a power red ... its close to a double red , they seperate red cells and you get your platelettes back and some saline but i dont think in a power red they spin the blood to separate it , whats that called , apheresis or some fancy shit

buck

Reaction score

"power red" procedure is what he wrote so sounds like double red.

Kraken

Reaction score
Yes they called it "power red."

Gadawg

The Tick
Reaction score
I donate through red cross constantly. Only issues Ive ever had were during covid. I just about quit donating over that fucking nonsense.

But its been ok for the last year or so.

almostgone

Elite
Reaction score
I went to ARC give blood for the first time yesterday. TL;DR, it was a total fail.

The lady who took me in was very nice, she checked me in and I answered a bunch of questions that my life is no way interesting enough to say yes to. She did the hemoglobin check (she called it that) with the finger prick and it came out to 20.3, which was 0.3 too high. She said we can check it again, and from the other finger it came to 19.9, so that was a pass. She figured I was there due to high everything, and suggested I do a "power red" procedure because it would lower my numbers a bit more.

I figured sure, why not. Big mistake. I have very prominent veins (I actually used to date a phlebotomist who said so all the time) but the second woman struggled to get the stick right. When she finally started the machine, it did a lot of rapid beeping. She called the first woman over, and she adjusted the needle in my arm, which of course was unpleasant. The machine finally reported green, but shortly started it's rapid beeping again. Another readjustment, green, a little time, rapid beeping again. After the third try, my blood started leaking down my arm at a pretty good pace. I was able to get someones attention and they came over, and started to adjust the needle again. Much of this time I was sweating a bit, a little dizzy and a little nauseous.

At that point I had been sitting on their couch for 30 minutes of what was supposed to be a 30 minute procedure. She told me it had not really started yet, so I told her we are giving up. She gave me a nasty look and said that I needed a little saline and then she would take the needle out. I presume she did that, and a few minutes later she came and removed the needed. I asked what the problem was and she explained that my blood was clotting. I have no idea if she is right or not. She took the needle out, cleaned the blood off my arm and then walked away. At that point everyone was just pretending I was not there. I walked over to one of the little tables and sat a bit since I was light headed and a little nauseous. After about ten minutes I just decided to leave.

I'll probably call them today and ask what actually happened, if I can try again, whatever. And so ended my first blood donation experience.
Sounds like you got a "prospector" phlebotomist. You know, they stick the needle in, usually blow out the back wall of the vein, they retract the needle, and start digging around.
I've never had any major issues with a whole blood or double red/ power red donation. However, I stay well hydrated because I have an inherited clotting disorder. It doesn't defer me from donating, but I think hydration helps a lot in regards to clotting.
In addition to regular water intake during the day, I drink .5 liter of water with my morning meds and another .5 liter just before bed.

hard_gains

Reaction score
It's always hit or miss with the red cross. I'm do for a donating as well. Just keep putting it off. Don't think I have the patients to set threw a power red donation.

Has anyone personally seen any difference between full blood to power red donations?

Yano

Flatlandah
Reaction score
Sounds like you got a "prospector" phlebotomist. You know, they stick the needle in, usually blow out the back wall of the vein, they retract the needle, and start digging around.
I've never had any major issues with a whole blood or double red/ power red donation. However, I stay well hydrated because I have an inherited clotting disorder. It doesn't defer me from donating, but I think hydration helps a lot in regards to clotting.
In addition to regular water intake during the day, I drink .5 liter of water with my morning meds and another .5 liter just before bed.
Been there , chick jabbed me three times and I was pissed I told her gimme the damn thing i'll do it myself. I made a bit of a fuss the supervisor said ,, let him do it ,, boink done .. like wtf lady.

Arm bruised up like I had a beaver chewing on me.

almostgone

Elite
Reaction score
It's always hit or miss with the red cross. I'm do for a donating as well. Just keep putting it off. Don't think I have the patients to set threw a power red donation.

Has anyone personally seen any difference between full blood to power red donations?
It lowers your hematocrit and hemoglobin more and takes longer due to get the machine setup. Other than that, it's not much difference.

New Threads