Joaquin Phoenix

CJ

Mod Squad
Reaction score
I missed it in theaters. Waiting patiently for it to hit Netflix or other media.

Rydog

Reaction score
I thought it was a breath of fresh air. I'm so tired of the typical comic book movie where the good guy's save the world. It's great to see the descent into madness instead of just saying someone is bad or crazy.

Seeker

Veteran
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Best movie of the year, hands down. Now if Joaquin Phoenix would just stfu with his political agenda vegan bullshit, that would be great. Awesome actor, stick to that. Ok great, you're a vegan, congratulations, good for you. Leave the rest of us the dafuq alone.

DEADlifter

Elite
Reaction score
Best movie of the year, hands down. Now if Joaquin Phoenix would just stfu with his political agenda vegan bullshit, that would be great. Awesome actor, stick to that. Ok great, you're a vegan, congratulations, good for you. Leave the rest of us the dafuq alone.

Same reason I had a hard time making myself watch The Irishman. I don't need actors telling me how I should feel about politics.

Seeker

Veteran
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Same reason I had a hard time making myself watch The Irishman. I don't need actors telling me how I should feel about politics.

The Irishman was long, boring and not worth recommending. Didn't like it one bit.

Gabriel

Reaction score
Got to agree with Jin...It was a disturbing ,dark yet sad and gut wrenching character.............something about that Role

Seeker

Veteran
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
The one thing about the Joker movie that I don't know why they did and was completely inaccurate was how they portrayed Bruce Waynes father. They made him out to be a total asshole, which in the actual comic he was not that at all.

Iron1

Veteran
Reaction score
The one thing about the Joker movie that I don't know why they did and was completely inaccurate was how they portrayed Bruce Waynes father. They made him out to be a total asshole, which in the actual comic he was not that at all.

There's a theory that everything that transpired in the movie was a fabrication of Arthur Fleks ill mind and that he never left Arkham Asylum. Arthur was a hero in a world he saw to be broken. You can't be the good guy in a story without villains and Thomas Wayne was the logical villain in a movie involving heavy themes of poverty and extreme inequality.

There's a quote The Joker utters in the comic "The Killing Joke" that sums up his recollection of events neatly "If I'm going to have a past, I prefer it to be multiple choice". Even in The Dark Knight, The Joker never tells the same story the same way twice. "Do you wanna know how I got these scars?"

joker-origin-killing-joke.jpg

Last edited:

eddiek

Reaction score
Just saw the movie this past weekend, and have already watched it twice. It has already gone down in my mind as one of the top 5 movies I have ever seen. I loved the dark approach this movie took, which made it unique to comic book movies. It was disturbing, but really allowed me to be empathetic to a twisted sould such as Arthur Fleck. I have never thought somebody can top Heath Ledger in this role, but I really think Phoenix did so. We have had some great Joker actors in the past including Nicholson, and even Leto. However, Phoenix and Ledger do such an amazing job. My vote though gets moved to Phoenix as he showed so many different qualities in his acting and portrayal of the Joker. Great movie!

Beserker

Viking King
Reaction score
I absolutely hate all comic book movies, but this was an assault on the typical comic book movie, and a critique on today’s society. Watched in the theaters twice and once on redbox. I hope they redo The Batman Character with Chris Pratt.

Reactions: Jin

notsoswoleCPA

Reaction score
Dang, I need to watch this. It's in my watch list, I just haven't had much time to sit down and commit lately.

RISE

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I liked it, but alot of the hype killed it for me. Everyone said it was extremely dark and violent. I saw Seven when I was 9 years old and Joker doesn't hold a candle to Seven in terms of dark and disturbing. Not only Seven but there are alot of psychological thrillers that are just as dark if not more.

So as a movie it's really good. But the overreacting reviews killed it for me a bit.

bugman

Elite
Reaction score
Still haven't watched this one. I guess this weekend will be as good as any to see how it is.