Opinions on reps

CJ

Mod Squad
Reaction score
When should I consider adding more weight?
Many ways to do it, I personally use a double progression model. Say for example, I choose an 8-12 rep range. When I can perform 13+ reps, I add weight to that set. Each set progresses on its own individually. Remember though, I use less weight each set.

That's just an example, there are several progression models, we all tend to gravitate towards our own preference.
Also since I've been repping to fatigue, I've been resting 3-5min between sets. When doing drop sets is it best to jump right into the next set? 1min rest or so?
I think that you mean "down sets", meaning the sets after the first set, using the lighter weight. Take a normal rest period between those sets, I personally like 3 mins for big compound lifts, and 2 mins for smaller muscles/isolation lifts. But time is a concern for me, so I stick to that.

If you meant a true "drop set", that term means that on the last set of an exercise, upon reaching failure with a weight, you lower the weight and continue on doing a few more reps to failure, then usually another final drop in weight is performed to failure. Sort of like 3 sets in 1. No specific rest, don't rush, but don't dilly dally either. Put the DBs back and grab lighter ones and go, or strip some weight off the bar/machine and go.

RowdyBrad

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
First question is when I hit my weight goal, should I maintain for a bit before I go into a caloric surplus? I was told to maintain after weight gain before going into a deficit. I'm thinking the same will apply here? If so how long?
When you get bigger than you normally are, your body will likely want to go back to where it was. You keep the calories there before dropping to lean out because your body hasn't created a new set point at the higher muscle level. That's the thinking is that you'll lose some of your new muscle. I think it generally just gets your body more used to the new weight and let's your body adapt to that.

With bulking you wouldn't have to do the same. In fact because you want to go up in weight, you might benefit from the extra sensitivity to nutrients and gain muscle faster at first. The main reason some might do a maintenance first is if they were a lot fatter and dieter a long time, they might rebound with a big weight gain and just overeat and binge.

Depending on how much and how long you were in a deficit, you might need to add calories slowly in a reverse diet style for the most efficient bulk. Especially if you were going very low carb. Just imo.

New Threads