Opinions on youth training and sports

Stickler

Elite
Reaction score
Maybe the Test isnt pumping
But CNS is still going to be better off
I couldnt find a single article or study on CNS strength training for HEALTHY children.

But there are a plethora of studies out there on the positive effects of strength training for children who have nervous system issues without ill effects.

Interestingly enough
When it comes to strength
Adolescents can make massive leaps and bounds (Link to the study below in response to Stickler) some even seeing a 50% increase in overall strength in only 12 weeks.

Id say its very beneficial

Nice follow up! We got 2 search engines in the house!

Thewall

Elite
Reaction score
Thanks for all the input guys. I will not push my kids at all into working out. My older guy just always asks and I have been telling him not yet. So now we will do it when he wants and just for fun. My biggest fear is burn out in everything. Todays day and age you can do any sport all year long and push kids to the limit. I try to balance this. I’ve heard of way to many horror stories of great athletes getting burnt out because they were pushed to hard.

Reaction score
I always think of Marv Marinovich training Todd Marinovich to the point that he made it to the NFL but was a completely broken person.

There is a whole lot of room though between not training the kid at at all and Marv Marinovich.

If I had a 13 year old I would just start them with 5 X 5 on a trap bar once a week. They will probably smoke the kids doing nothing in short order from even that little amount of training with no risk of burnout. Once they see that effect, then the seed has been planted.

New Threads