Pec major tear today

StillKickin

Elite
Reaction score
:32 (6):
I think I better stop calling myself an old fart on here...
I think people are beginning to believe it...
I think I'm getting my feelings hurt...
:32 (6):
Yes I'm nearly 45, but I don't get out run by many half my age at anything...
Take note all you young whippersnappers....
Now excuse me while I pull my black socks up to my knees and get mad at some kids on my lawn.....
"You see this baseball you brats, well it's mine now ain't it, ain't it!!"
Somebody better laugh out loud at that shit, cause it's top shelf comedy, top shelf.
You all have great days!

Reaction score
That's a scary tear man! I have seen many torn muscles but I'd say this is a pretty high degree of one! You'll be benching again but its gonna take a couple months of therapy and light gradual increases of weight. Id say atleast a year to get back to any serious chest lifts. Sorry to hear about it man

StillKickin

Elite
Reaction score
Short update.
I'm working around this as best I can.
Actually surprised at how it seems to be improving so fast.
The blood that settled down my arm makes it hurt while doing anything that requires grip strength, curling or even supinating.
Like any body part you've gimped up in the past, you don't realize just how involved it is in everyday life.
Jesus, can't hardly keep from tweaking it a little here n there.
All in all I'm pleased. Proper MRI this Friday with surgeon follow up Monday.
There in lies the answers.

StillKickin

Elite
Reaction score
View attachment 3106

MRI today at 1600. Results next Monday to be discussed.
So I'd say 70% ROM is available. You can see that most of the bruising that happened has cleared except where it collected down the torso and left arm.
Swelling is mostly gone I think, lightly flexing the pec causes the muscle to more or less bunch up at what would be the outer\upper pec line.
You can compare here and see that the insertion on the left now runs much more vertical than the right, much less horizontal in comparison.
There is very little that is tender to the touch in the area really. And I believe the tendon is in the correct place, simply that the muscle has pulled from it. At least as it feels to me....Hell I don't know.
Look like a fat pasty white lump here, and I am for the most part, but next time I'm healthy and take a pic I'll squeeze the shoulders tight, pop the traps, and drop the lats......
Probably not as impressive as it sounds ha!
Allright if I can I will post up a shot of the MRI. Should prove interesting.

StillKickin

Elite
Reaction score
Still finding ways to work around the injury.
But ROM pain free has increased to where I can move my upper arm back past center line of my shoulder girdle.
Meaning today for back I could do bent laterals, and bent rows with a fair amount of effort and weight used.
Enough at least that I felt like I accomplished something in the gym.
Of course going overhead for any type of pull down or pull up is a complete no go, and to be honest pull ups worry me even after I'm healed. I certainly do call upon the pecs at the bottom\beginning of a pull up. So that makes me nervous.
Watching my friends bench makes me flippin cringe....not reliving my tear, but just thinking damn, look at the stretch in the bottom on that...sure hope he don't get hurt..
Alright I'll report on what the doc says of MRI review today.
My thought after swelling has gone down enough that I can feel up in there and see the deformity is that the sternal head is the damaged area right at the humerus insertion.

StillKickin

Elite
Reaction score
Well MRI review was relatively inconclusive.
Lot's of blood still in the area. But the radiologist does note that the tendons are still attached at the humerus.
My pics don't look it but apparently I was to big to fit correctly into the shoulder imager for this scan. So images were limited.
Made the doc feel me up like a prom date so he could understand just how much the muscle has moved.
The plan is to take a second set. Focusing from the sternum tie in out to the shoulder. The hope is that using both sets of images to piece the puzzle together will allow us to fully understand the damage to the muscle. Hoping for enough over lap to see exactly what is happening in there.

Ryand

Reaction score
Well MRI review was relatively inconclusive.
Lot's of blood still in the area. But the radiologist does note that the tendons are still attached at the humerus.
My pics don't look it but apparently I was to big to fit correctly into the shoulder imager for this scan. So images were limited.
Made the doc feel me up like a prom date so he could understand just how much the muscle has moved.
The plan is to take a second set. Focusing from the sternum tie in out to the shoulder. The hope is that using both sets of images to piece the puzzle together will allow us to fully understand the damage to the muscle. Hoping for enough over lap to see exactly what is happening in there.

Bummer. Keep us posted man.

StillKickin

Elite
Reaction score
One shot of many, as promised anyway, and for what it's worth.

Capture.jpg

StillKickin

Elite
Reaction score
Well here's a little foreshadowing I fear.....
I woke up this morning from a dream that was freaking me out.
Honestly.
I was dreaming I was doing incline dumbbell flies, with 60's.
This dream woke me up, no shit, woke telling myself..No no no what are you doing!!!
I have never had a dream that incorporated me working out in any way....weird.

StillKickin

Elite
Reaction score
IMG_2963.jpg

So near the three week mark from injury. ROM is very near normal. But that only allows me to forget that it's hurt and do something that I would normally do in daily life and make it hurt.
Workout wise I have laid on the incline and flat and simply pushed my hands up, elbows tight to the sides, and just seen how it felt.
The muscle flexes in a completely different fashion now. No clue how that translates to healing and benching again.
Pretty much able to work the rest of my body now correctly. Still no overhead movements including pulldowns\pullups, or heavy standing military presses.
Second MRI is tomorrow with follow up the 22nd.
Just hoping for clear pictures and direct confirmation of damage extent.
The swelling is down enough that its apparent the tendons near the humerus insertion do not have muscle on them any longer. It feels like it has pulled loose and is simply balled up nearer to the outer lower pec line. See the pic at the top.
It has forced me to reconnect to other muscle groups as I work them. Being very careful that I do not flex the pec just to get the weight moved.
Well, wait and see I guess. A week ago just holding that arm in like that was difficult. Now it's fine, I can't flex at all but keeping it there is ok.
I'm past being in funk over this for the most part. I am not hurt, I'm injured, and it will heal and I will still be able to work out, albeit differently. I will make the best of it. It's all part of life and getting old and easy to break down I guess ha! :32 (19):

snake

Veteran
Reaction score
I'm proud of you for not testing it. Any who has had an injury knows the unrelenting feeling to try and test the injury. Glad you listened to that advice.

I'm not sure where you stand brother but I really don't see the typical indent that accompanies a tear from the pectoral insertion to the humerus.

Keep us posted!

StillKickin

Elite
Reaction score
Thanks for checking on it Snake. I'm gonna lean on you as this develops as you've been thru it.
More to come soon.

StillKickin

Elite
Reaction score
Second MRI and follow up confirmed what I expected. Couple of pics attached here.
The bottom line is that the anterior axillay fold near the armpit is basically missing now. Pulled off and rolled up lower into my pec line. I never got the doc to repeat to me what I'm saying above but when I told him exactly what I thought this showed he agreed. Not that I'm educated in anyway, but I'm able to learn and research as well as anyone.
ROM is, I would say 98%. Mostly pain free. But I find myself moving as I normally would and making it hurt simply because I don't have that constant reminder that it is hurt and to be careful.
So it's been basically a month, during this time training has been difficult, for any body part actually. So I got a little down, you know the feeling...."damnit, I'm not giving this my best effort, I'm letting myself down" The uninjured pec has most definitely shrunk, alarmingly so actually.
I had half of last week off work, and Monday of this week as well. So I trained at home, I have enough equipment at home to do about anything I want really. So I grabbed my wife's giant 10 lb'ers and tested some incline and flat dumbbell presses. Feeling the contraction of the injured pec is very, very odd. Of course it bunches up and now has no outline along edge, and as the press nears the top, it simply drops out. It just kind of looses it's contraction all together, as I continue the press and allow my upper arm to cross my sternum, well...it picks back up...very odd. Not sure how this will play out. But as I can safely test the pec I will and I'm just hoping that while aesthetically the difference will always be there, that at the very least I will be able to train to build a fair chest again. Time will tell.
Now to make myself look like a homo.
So I said I would get a bit down thinking of this injury and how it affected my performance (because after all, I make a living with my huge lifts, and incredible physique right....:32 (11):)
At home figured I could go downstairs and safely work some hammy's. Well this turned into me needing some positive feedback of sorts. So I took some leg pics, in what sure looks like a compromising position....and to top it off.....in my underwear.....I was home alone mind you.
So to that end of needing a little positive self motivation I'm posting these rather gay pics. Just because I need all my UG brothers to ask me how many wieners I'm actually inviting into my rear with these silly pics...ha...terrible, just terrible pic but oh well..
And I will throw a report scan on here to.
Allright you all have great days, make something happen!
Scan.jpg

Capture1.jpg
Capture.jpg
IMG_2991.jpg

DF

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Are they talking surgery or no?

StillKickin

Elite
Reaction score
Nope.
Nothing can be done for muscle having come off.
It's a "do the best with what ya got" dealio.
Thanks for checking DF.
And your supposed to say that my hamstrings look good damnit!
Soapy boobs!

DF

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Nope.
Nothing can be done for muscle having come off.
It's a "do the best with what ya got" dealio.
Thanks for checking DF.
And your supposed to say that my hamstrings look good damnit!
Soapy boobs!

I love soapy boobs!

And yes nice hammies, though I prefer noods to evaluate.

Have you thought about going for a second opinion? I know you went to a good sports guy & I have no idea about the conversation you had, but if this were me I'd find THE GUY! top of the field dude to evaluate this thing. I know a tear in the muscle is not a surgical option, but this is not a muscle belly tear.

http://www.pectear.com/pectears/pectear.htm

StillKickin

Elite
Reaction score
I love soapy boobs!

Have you thought about going for a second opinion? I know you went to a good sports guy & I have no idea about the conversation you had, but if this were me I'd find THE GUY! top of the field dude to evaluate this thing. I know a tear in the muscle is not a surgical option, but this is not a muscle belly tear.

Thanks for this link DF. I had come across this same site while doing my homework. And prior to having a final answer from MRI's and consult.
I think I look like a type 2 tear. And as it reads to me there is a very real chance of it tearing again even if repaired surgically. It seems that repair of this type of injury is kind of hit or miss. Complete tears are prone to re-injury. Something I don't care to ever feel, or hear, again.
Thank you. I may reach out to these guys just to discuss with them, even though it seems type 2 tears, (myotendinous tears), repairs are not often recommended for repair.

And damnit! Noods of course...next time for sure....

snake

Veteran
Reaction score
I love soapy boobs!

I strongly suggest you look into what DF is saying.

BTW, nice hammies!