Rice----Why highly touted here?

Reaction score
To the old timers I started with in NYC years ago, and reading from the classic guys and the old magazines, rice was considered basically junk food--empty calories. Yet it's a common dietary staple mentioned favorably here. From a nutrition standpoint it's nothing compared to a potato. Potato has less calories, more protein, less fat, seven times the fiber, double the calcium, four times the iron, four times the magnesium, twice the phosphorous, sixteen times the potassium, is vastly higher in all the B vitamins, and has a high vitamin C content compared to none for rice. Rice, though, is quite high in selenium. But, I must be missing something???? Cost, convenience?

BrotherIron

Reaction score
Rice doesn't cause any bloat, gastric distress, and it digests easily. When you're eating multiple meals a day you don't want something that it weighing you down especially if you're bulking but even so when you're cutting.

Potatoes cause bloat, are heavy when being digested, take longer to digest, etc. I could keep going but I think you get the point.

Can you eat potatoes... sure. I eat sliced, baked red potatoes but it's not my go to. Rice is also easier with a busy lifestyle.

Bro Bundy

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Like iron said it doesn’t bloat u up like other carbs can . It’s a great source for carbs imo

Last edited:

Jonjon

Reaction score
I live on brown rice and sweet potatoes

Reaction score
They're all good. Brown rice takes 50% longer to digest than white rice or potatoes. The latter two take the same time to digest. I guess I just never got bloating from potatoes, so I'd rather eat the superior food product. I don't even want to get into comparing "busy" because I've spent 46 years negotiating labor contracts all over the country at all times of the day and night and getting rice or a potato was never a big deal.

Bro Bundy

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Yeah they eat good cold. Easy meal with some chicken and sweet potatoes in a ziplock
The longer I cook it in the oven the better they taste to me . I do the finger test when I’m using the oven if it’s soft their ready

Reaction score
My wife loves sweet potatoes. Not so much me. Love rice though with certain dishes.

CJ

Mod Squad
Reaction score
No hate for potatoes here. Brother Iron summed it up perfectly though. I will add in convenience also, meaning a faster cooking time.

Bro Bundy

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
No hate for potatoes here. Brother Iron summed it up perfectly though. I will add in convenience also, meaning a faster cooking time.
That’s the only problem I have with sweet potatoes they take forever to cook

Reactions: CJ

Jonjon

Reaction score
The longer I cook it in the oven the better they taste to me . I do the finger test when I’m using the oven if it’s soft their ready
Shoot, I just nuke them in the microwave for 7 minutes And they are good to go. Got to wrap in a wet paper towel

CJ

Mod Squad
Reaction score
Shoot, I just nuke them in the microwave for 7 minutes And they are good to go. Got to wrap in a wet paper towel
They taste like crap in the microwave though.

Bro Bundy

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I can’t do it they taste like crap that way

CJ

Mod Squad
Reaction score
That’s the only problem I have with sweet potatoes they take forever to cook
Yup, I'll cook a few at once, leave them in the fridge for quick 'grab and go' add ins to work meals. They'll go about a week before they get sketchy.

Reaction score
Yup, I'll cook a few at once, leave them in the fridge for quick 'grab and go' add ins to work meals. They'll go about a week before they get sketchy.
Great idea, I'm going to go with that. I actually like them better cold.

Reaction score
Rice doesn't cause any bloat, gastric distress, and it digests easily. When you're eating multiple meals a day you don't want something that it weighing you down especially if you're bulking but even so when you're cutting.

Potatoes cause bloat, are heavy when being digested, take longer to digest, etc. I could keep going but I think you get the point.

Can you eat potatoes... sure. I eat sliced, baked red potatoes but it's not my go to. Rice is also easier with a busy lifestyle.
I get tired if I eat any starch during the day for the last 25 years, so only do it at night if I'm going to eat any starch. Usually a slice or two of Ezekiel flourless bread works great for me during the day, with no fatigue or bloat.

New Threads