Shin splints

Reaction score
Long time lurker, first time poster. So I have been doing HIIT cardio on active recovery days and as a result got fucking shin splints. I was wondering if anyone has been able to lift through them? I was reading that seated calf raisers can help prevent them but I’m worried about putting more weight on it. My leg day is coming up tomorrow and I was just looking for some insight. I work as a mechanic so staying off my leg is not really possible. I have been icing it at home. I was thinking about staying home to try to recover but I haven’t missed a day in the gym in about 7 months now. Any advice is welcome. Thanks!

TODAY

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
What type of HIIT are you doing?

Reaction score
Take a week off.

When you come back, train harder.
Do you thinking upper body strength training would be okay still or just stay home and recover completely. I was thinking maybe some foam rolling might help but not entirely sure.

Btcowboy

Reaction score
Long time lurker, first time poster. So I have been doing HIIT cardio on active recovery days and as a result got fucking shin splints. I was wondering if anyone has been able to lift through them? I was reading that seated calf raisers can help prevent them but I’m worried about putting more weight on it. My leg day is coming up tomorrow and I was just looking for some insight. I work as a mechanic so staying off my leg is not really possible. I have been icing it at home. I was thinking about staying home to try to recover but I haven’t missed a day in the gym in about 7 months now. Any advice is welcome. Thanks!
Just keep lifting

I was training for a couple FD fitness tests. I got shin splints both legs, plantar Fasciatis in one leg and piriformis syndrome in left side. No issues lifting other than the piriformis syndrome. The shin splints are fine to lift with.

Goggins did 16 weeks of BUDS 20miles a day with shin splints I think you can lift with them

Reaction score
Just keep lifting

I was training for a couple FD fitness tests. I got shin splints both legs, plantar Fasciatis in one leg and piriformis syndrome in left side. No issues lifting other than the piriformis syndrome. The shin splints are fine to lift with.

Goggins did 16 weeks of BUDS 20miles a day with shin splints I think you can lift with them
Will do but shit Goggins is legit an animal. That man isn’t even human he’s a fucking badass.

Btcowboy

Reaction score
Will do but shit Goggins is legit an animal. That’s man isn’t even human he’s a fucking badass.
Lol yeah he is a fucking beast. I was running on shin splints ready to quit and was listening to his E book and that was the part being read.... needless to say I kept running lol

You will be fine lifting with it. Its the impact that causes issue not bearing weight unless you have legit broken your tib or fib.

TomJ

"Elite" 😏
Reaction score
D1 track here.
Used to get crippling shin splints every season (2 years they developed into minor stress fractures)

Once you have them, there is nothing you can do to speed up their recovery other than rest. Ice is fine for pain management, but won't speed up the recovery process.

Skip your leg day and swap to a no impact form of cardio for a bit such as the assault bike if you still want to do hiit.

Other than repeated impacts, other contributors that can make you more prone to shin splints is not weak calves (so doing calf raises won't help, especially if they are already bathing you, they will likely only make it worse) it's tight calves.

Take the week off, and stretch your calves. You should be okay to go through leg day next week, as leg movements are zero impact (what causes shin splints mostly) but if they are still sore next week, stick with no impact cardio for a while. Unless you let them heal completely, you will just reactivate them very easily

BRICKS

Veteran
Reaction score
When I started playing ball (basketball) from Jr high to my freshman year in high school I had horrible shin splints off and on. Practice was in thevold gym if the varsity was practicing at the same tjme, old gym was tile flooring which su ked ass. We didn't have "K-tape", but the coach taped up my calves/shins and it seemed to suck less during practice.

Now mind you I'm not a believer at all in K-taping, and the perry reviewed literature is inconclusive wether it helps or not. But having said that you may want to read up on that an try that while you're at working standing on that cement floor all day. In the meantime, rest, ice, to the affected area and stretching. No reason why you can't train what doesn't hurt. Usually shin splints resolve in a few weeks to a few months.

Reactions: DF

Btcowboy

Reaction score

The Phoenix

Elite
Reaction score
You need to run on a surface that has some give. I see people running on PCCP and I see shin splints coming. Run on asphalth, terrain, or grass.

DF

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Incline treadmill HIIT which I’m sure didn’t help at all 😂 It lasts about 20 mins
Probably the steep incline that did you in. Back when I used to run. I couldn’t run on regular pavement. Always had to hit the local high school rubberized track. Never had an issue on the treadmill, but didn’t do the steep incline.

Do lower impact as suggested. Best of luck

Reaction score
You need to run on a surface that has some give. I see people running on PCCP and I see shin splints coming. Run on asphalth, terrain, or grass.
Asphalt has “give”. Go bounce your head off of it and let us know.

Btcowboy

Reaction score
Asphalt has “give”. Go bounce your head off of it and let us know.
Not that I am or would ever defend this POS but running on asphalt softer tha running om concrete. Inwould however like to see him test it out as you suggest

The Phoenix

Elite
Reaction score
Not that I am or would ever defend this POS but running on asphalt softer tha running om concrete. Inwould however like to see him test it out as you suggest
I ran track and field and last I recall, most are made from Asphalt.

New Threads