So you want abs....

SFGiants

Elite
Reaction score
Exactly my point. I've said that same thing and gotten the "okay, whatever, dude!" look for years with that answer.

Best core work IMO is the posterior chain not gayness on a stability ball.

If a person is weak staying upright in the squat then they do need to balance the abs with resistance.

Have you noticed that since all this oblique work has come about Major League Sports has had an abundant of injuries to the oblique and you always hear the old timers confused about it saying this is a new injury that never use to happen.

Cashout

Reaction score
I really don't follow sports so I don't have a frame of reference to speak to sports injuries per se.

I do know that in today's bodybuilding arena, every novice thinks that there is some "magic" routine of exercise that they can perform to each and every body part, abs included, that is the "secret" solution to a "great _______" fill-in-the blank.

That is all you find in magazines and on the web. Somebody selling the "secret."

Take advice from those who have nothing to sell and have been there in terms of championship bodybuilding.

Bodybuilding is not complicated.

Do the basics consistently at a high level over time and the results will accrue.

Best core work IMO is the posterior chain not gayness on a stability ball.

If a person is weak staying upright in the squat then they do need to balance the abs with resistance.

Have you noticed that since all this oblique work has come about Major League Sports has had an abundant of injuries to the oblique and you always hear the old timers confused about it saying this is a new injury that never use to happen.

PFM

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Trainers sell Training, they will tell you anything to make you think everything is in training.

ken Sass

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I really don't follow sports so I don't have a frame of reference to speak to sports injuries per se.

I do know that in today's bodybuilding arena, every novice thinks that there is some "magic" routine of exercise that they can perform to each and every body part, abs included, that is the "secret" solution to a "great _______" fill-in-the blank.

That is all you find in magazines and on the web. Somebody selling the "secret."

Take advice from those who have nothing to sell and have been there in terms of championship bodybuilding.

Bodybuilding is not complicated.

Do the basics consistently at a high level over time and the results will accrue.

you know cash, we often disagree, i sometimes find you arrogant, cocky, and outspoken BUT when you talk body building, health, nutrition etc. i find that you can pretty much take it like it was coming from the burning bush, much respect

63Vette

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
You can do crunches and leg lifts until hell freezes over but your diet has to be on point and you better be building muscle in large groups/movements (squats, deads, back work) aside from those the single best exercise I have ever used for abs are planks.

I am only six jelly rolls away from having abs like Buddha.

I liked to post, I like the exercises and will do (and have done) some of them when I work abs,

That being said, abs are made in the kitchen IMHO.

Respect,
Vette

whitelml

Reaction score
Love this thread. Appreciate the work you did OP. No muscle is gonna be defined unless you remove the fat. My abs get enough work from the hit after wieghts but I like to do a few exercises just for peace of mind.

Cashout

Reaction score
you know cash, we often disagree, i sometimes find you arrogant, cocky, and outspoken BUT when you talk body building, health, nutrition etc. i find that you can pretty much take it like it was coming from the burning bush, much respect

Ken I am not in any way offended by anything you wrote. I actually take it as a compliment. Most people do find me arrogant, cocky, and outspoken. Those terms are mild comparatively speaking to what I am use to hearing.

I do understand that I can present that way and typically do most of the time.

I hold myself to standards that most folks would consider ridiculous. It is my nature and comes through in my personality. As such, there is almost no way to shut that off when I deal with others.

I don't hold others to my standards but they are clearly visible to others.

Likewise, I consistently and freely admit that my areas of expertise in health and fitness are limited to bodybuilding. I know bodybuilding in all it's facets - training, nutrition, drug use, contest prep, judging, et. al. I've had many years of first hand experience in bodybuilding.

I don't know a thing about power lifting, training for sports, nutrition for sports performance, and the like.

I write all this just to say, thank you.

PFM

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Ken I am not in any way offended by anything you wrote. I actually take it as a compliment. Most people do find me arrogant, cocky, and outspoken. Those terms are mild comparatively speaking to what I am use to hearing.

I do understand that I can present that way and typically do most of the time.

I hold myself to standards that most folks would consider ridiculous. It is my nature and comes through in my personality. As such, there is almost no way to shut that off when I deal with others.

I don't hold others to my standards but they are clearly visible to others.

Likewise, I consistently and freely admit that my areas of expertise in health and fitness are limited to bodybuilding. I know bodybuilding in all it's facets - training, nutrition, drug use, contest prep, judging, et. al. I've had many years of first hand experience in bodybuilding.

I don't know a thing about power lifting, training for sports, nutrition for sports performance, and the like.

I write all this just to say, thank you.

A man solid in his convictions and never any copy & paste.

Cash for Vice President.

Cashout

Reaction score
A man solid in his convictions and never any copy & paste.

Cash for Vice President.

Couldn't do it.

My disdain for public office and those who hold said positions takes a back seat only to my disdain for organized and institutionalize mysticism and those that use it as tool to subjugate the masses.

GirlyGymRat

Lady Member
Reaction score
Dan. I am not fully recovered enuff to do even half of this routine. Cuff cannot do any of the hanging or cross cable moves. I can do crunches. I am going to have defer this routine for another month :). Girly not happy.

ccpro

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I don't need any, I have one big ab!!!!

coltmc4545

SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I don't train abs. I haven't really since I was 16-17. My abs pretty much go away in the winter. And I shed my winter coat of fat off in the spring for summer. I would love to see a pic of you at 18% bf with separation between your abs. I've never once seen this on anyone ever in my personal history of looking at bb mags, pics on the net, or in real life. I have seen guys at 18% with the outer outline of abs, but never ever ever with full separation. This happens lower bf through DIET. Minors and majors mean nothing to me compared to real life experience when it comes to this life.

gymrat827

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I don't train abs. I haven't really since I was 16-17. My abs pretty much go away in the winter. And I shed my winter coat of fat off in the spring for summer. I would love to see a pic of you at 18% bf with separation between your abs. I've never once seen this on anyone ever in my personal history of looking at bb mags, pics on the net, or in real life. I have seen guys at 18% with the outer outline of abs, but never ever ever with full separation. This happens lower bf through DIET. Minors and majors mean nothing to me compared to real life experience when it comes to this life.

yea man, post a pic @ 18% with abs.

when i was a 9/10% i was seeing decent separation but still not "great" abs. @ 13/14% where i am now i dont see much at all. even after i leave the gym for 80 min and im nice and dry.

PillarofBalance

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score

This issue comes up in powerlifting a lot as well. I have no problem with having scientific theory put to the test, but when someone tells me that being strong doesn't make you right; it begs the questions, well if you're right, why aren't you strong?

Really though 18% with abs is simply not possible unless you're some kind of genetic freak that is incapable of storing fat on your trunk.

Rip

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Most people focus on volume(reps & quantity) and momentum (no isolation).
Also, they work more hip flexors and less ab contraction.
I disagree what they said about crunches...it's more about how you execute it. I could benefit from a crunch just sitting in my car.
PIC2editcopy_zps2158d618.jpg

New Threads