later years yates/mentzer style workouts
cycle - 250 test, 200 tren, 200 mast, 10slin post workout

monday - push
weighted dips heavy rest pause
weighted dips light rest pause
incline dumbell rest pause
lateral raises rest pause
skullcrushers (press to negatives on failure)
pec dec rest pause
cable pushdowns rest pause

wednesday - pull
weighted pullups straight
bodyweight pullups restpause
barbell row rest pause
shrugs high volume rest pause
*seated curls rest pause
hammer curl rest pause
preacher curl rest pause

friday - legs
squats rest pause
leg press til stuck
hamstring curl rest pause
leg extension rest pause
standing calves straight

*i struggle to push failure on these; when you get near failure it's impossible to get out of the beginning portion of the motion under fatigue. looking to switch these; any recommendation for long head biceps besides chinups? May end up just sticking with classics like a barbell curl til I'm further down the road and need to worry about it more.

cardio - 30-60 minutes HIIT post wo. 90-120 HIIT rest days
(on the last couple weeks of a cut, maintaining for some events this weekend, then back to the cut for ~2 more weeks)
then maybe only the HIIT post workout and once on per weekend. ~3-4hr a week?

cutting diet: smoked chicken breast, 100g carbs pre workout, ~300-400 additional calories throughout day

currently around 183 pounds. photo attached.ugbb1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

JeffGoldblumLips

Reaction score

monday - push
pec dec rest pause

wednesday - pull
barbell row rest pause
*seated curls rest pause
hammer curl rest pause
preacher curl rest pause

friday - legs
squats rest pause
leg press til stuck
leg extension rest pause
standing calves straight

*i struggle to push failure on these; when you get near failure it's impossible to get out of the beginning portion of the motion under fatigue. looking to switch these; any recommendation for long head biceps besides chinups? May end up just sticking with classics like a barbell curl til I'm further down the road and need to worry about it more.

(on the last couple weeks of a cut, maintaining for some events this weekend, then back to the cut for ~2 more weeks)

cutting diet: smoked chicken breast, 100g carbs pre workout, ~300-400 additional calories throughout day

currently around 183 pounds. photo attached.
Welcome to the UG. Looking 'uge.

Reaction score

monday - push
pec dec rest pause

wednesday - pull
barbell row rest pause
*seated curls rest pause
hammer curl rest pause
preacher curl rest pause

friday - legs
squats rest pause
leg press til stuck
leg extension rest pause
standing calves straight

currently around 183 pounds. photo attached.
Welcome… what does a 90-120 min HIIT Workout consist of? I’ve never heard of someone doing HIIT for that length of time.

Reaction score

monday - push
pec dec rest pause

wednesday - pull
barbell row rest pause
*seated curls rest pause
hammer curl rest pause
preacher curl rest pause

friday - legs
squats rest pause
leg press til stuck
leg extension rest pause
standing calves straight

currently around 183 pounds. photo attached.View attachment 44957
Subbed. Welcome. Looking pretty cut. What weight are you trying to get to? What is your BF% now?

Reaction score
Welcome… what does a 90-120 min HIIT Workout consist of? I’ve never heard of someone doing HIIT for that length of time.
Treadmill and netflix. I'll set the treadmill to a sprint (11.5 for me) on an incline (7.5 for me, not sure if this matters but I'm comfortable with it). Sprint for 15 seconds, then stand on the sides holding sensors and wait for HR to fall to a certain point then sprint again.
I typically target keeping HR above 140. The sprint puts me in 160s, and I'll get around a minute break til it falls to 140 where I do another sprint. In the end you end up actively working about 20-25% of the time, but keep your heart rate around 150 for the whole duration; higher than if you had been working LISS the whole time

Reaction score
Treadmill and netflix. I'll set the treadmill to a sprint (11.5 for me) on an incline (7.5 for me, not sure if this matters but I'm comfortable with it). Sprint for 15 seconds, then stand on the sides holding sensors and wait for HR to fall to a certain point then sprint again.
I typically target keeping HR above 140. The sprint puts me in 160s, and I'll get around a minute break til it falls to 140 where I do another sprint. In the end you end up actively working about 20-25% of the time, but keep your heart rate around 150 for the whole duration; higher than if you had been working LISS the whole time
And you do that for 90 mins to 2 hours?

Reaction score
Subbed. Welcome. Looking pretty cut. What weight are you trying to get to? What is your BF% now?
Just going off looks. But I can tell I still have fat on my midsection. Probably around 6-8 more pounds til I begin losing too much muscle

Reaction score
that's insane. I've gone an hour before doing something somewhat similar and that was too much. I cap it at 45 min now. Usually go 35 to 40 min.
That's what I'll be shooting for to stay in condition once weight loss is no longer the primary goal

Reaction score
On non-training days

And then you also do them on training days too?

So at least an hour of HIIT every day?
It has been every day including training days except for a couple times my lower legs were too shot to bear it. A single rest day fixes them up quickly though. I'm putting the HIIT on pause for today and tommorow as I have plans, but I can record a 15 or so minute sample after my workout to show the process

Reaction score
It has been every day including training days except for a couple times my lower legs were too shot to bear it. A single rest day fixes them up quickly though. I'm putting the HIIT on pause for today and tommorow as I have plans, but I can record a 15 or so minute sample after my workout to show the process
I understand the process entirely. I just don't see doing it for 2 hours. That's excessive. You must be in amazing condition to recover from that. HIIT is supposed to be an all-out sprint. Most people only need 20-30 mins to see the positives of that training.

I'm trying to wrap my head around it is all.

Reaction score
I understand the process entirely. I just don't see doing it for 2 hours. That's excessive. You must be in amazing condition to recover from that. HIIT is supposed to be an all-out sprint. Most people only need 20-30 mins to see the positives of that training.

I'm trying to wrap my head around it is all.
You're only actively working for maybe 25 minutes out of that whole time. 25-30 minutes is definitely enough time to see the benefits, but pushing it for timeframe I do a midsize guy like me can expect to see 1000-1500 calories fall off in one session

Reaction score
You're only actively working for maybe 25 minutes out of that whole time. 25-30 minutes is definitely enough time to see the benefits, but pushing it for timeframe I do a midsize guy like me can expect to see 1000-1500 calories fall off in one session
Yea, 150 to 400 cals per 20 minutes

Or 450 to 1200 cals per hour

Or 900 to 2400 cals per 2-hour

This is why its blowing me away. You're not supposed to be able to do it every day, let alone for 1-2 hours every day. You shouldn't have any bodyfat at all.

Reaction score
Yea, 150 to 400 cals per 20 minutes

Or 450 to 1200 cals per hour

Or 900 to 2400 cals per 2-hour

This is why its blowing me away. You're not supposed to be able to do it every day, let alone for 1-2 hours every day. You shouldn't have any bodyfat at all.
Well hopefully in a few weeks I won't 🤣 It's making a noticable difference for sure. Previously I've lost weight by eating much less food and barely doing any cardio. This feels a lot more effective and healthier overall

CJ

Mod Squad
Reaction score
Well hopefully in a few weeks I won't 🤣 It's making a noticable difference for sure. Previously I've lost weight by eating much less food and barely doing any cardio. This feels a lot more effective and healthier overall
It just seems excessive.

I've always noticed that I had 4-6 all out sprints in me, before a big drop off in force production. And that was with a 1:7 work to rest ratio, so basically a 15 second bike sprint every 2nd minute. 10 minutes, cooked.

And that was pretty similar for everyone that I trained with. And we did that roughly once per week, there wasn't a need to do more than that. But we didn't do it for fat loss, it was to train that energy system/pathway.

Last edited:

New Threads