Thoughts on this split

Jonjon

Reaction score
Been doing the bro split, hitting one body part a day, once a week, in the gym 4 days per week or 5

thoughts on this change….

day 1- chest biceps
Day 2- legs and back
Day 3- shoulders triceps
Day off
Repeat

CJ

Mod Squad
Reaction score
Legs and Back can be a bad combo, if overlap and fatigue isn't taken into account. How do you plan on running this day? Is it 2 different Leg+Back workouts per week?

Jonjon

Reaction score
Yes, repeat day 1-3 on Friday-sat

dumbell row
Cable row
Pull down
Squat
Calves

I’m not trying to be on stage, just trying to build a well rounded physique

seeing today that back the day after biceps might be a little hard on the biceps

CJ

Mod Squad
Reaction score
Yes, repeat day 1-3 on Friday-sat

dumbell row
Cable row
Pull down
Squat
Calves

I’m not trying to be on stage, just trying to build a well rounded physique

seeing today that back the day after biceps might be a little hard on the biceps
I'd argue that only doing squats for your upper legs isn't the best approach for the "well rounded physique" you desire.

And doing them with a fatigued back might become the limiting factor when doing those squats, meaning your back fails long before your legs do, thus your legs don't get proper stimulation.

Things to look out for.

Jonjon

Reaction score
Good points.

what do you think about doing squats first on the first session

then the latter week session adding leg extensions and leg curls, and skipping squats?

that way I’m only squatting once a week.

I hit calves hard so I’m trying to keep the sessions around 1hr 15 or so.

Jonjon

Reaction score
My legs respond pretty well btw. My weak part is my arms

Dungeon Dweller

Reaction score
I'd mix up day 2 and 3. Shoulders and triceps are small muscle groups, back and legs are big groups. Doing one big one small instead has been my plan.

Skullcrusher

Elite
Reaction score
Many lifts for back work biceps and shoulders.

I love my split.

BrotherIron

Reaction score
How is your leg and back day split up? That would be EXTREMELY taxing on the body.

Jonjon

Reaction score
How is your leg and back day split up? That would be EXTREMELY taxing on the body.
I’m doing back first on the first session, rows, cable rows, pull downs. I do no deadlifts.

i focus my leg trading on squats. Then hit calves good

I’m open to suggestions.

most of the year I’m really busy with work so I do the Monday chest, Tuesday legs, wed arms, Thursday off, Friday shoulders and back, day off, repeat

August and September and early October is my down time. So I wanna make the most of it. About to start 400 test, 250 deca for this time period as well

I figured with the extra help, increasing frequency would be doable on recovery.

CJ

Mod Squad
Reaction score
@Jonjon, What's wrong with the classic Pull, Push, Legs, off, split? I'm sure there are a few tweaks that could be made to suit your needs while keeping the general skeleton of the program.

Jonjon

Reaction score
@Jonjon, What's wrong with the classic Pull, Push, Legs, off, split? I'm sure there are a few tweaks that could be made to suit your needs while keeping the general skeleton of the program.
Yeah that’s a good point. I’ve heard about it many times just never thought much about it. Probably better than what I’m looking at

CJ

Mod Squad
Reaction score
Yeah that’s a good point. I’ve heard about it many times just never thought much about it. Probably better than what I’m looking at
And keeping the Push Day between the 2 other days, and having a rest day after Leg Day, gives your back needed rest.

Sometimes when I run this split, I'll put DB Laterals on leg day, so push day doesn't get too long.

Can even have 2 separate Push Days that you alternate. One where you start flat, then Incline, then vertical press. The other you go the other way, vertical to Incline to flat. Or similar.

Jonjon

Reaction score
And keeping the Push Day between the 2 other days, and having a rest day after Leg Day, gives your back needed rest.

Sometimes when I run this split, I'll put DB Laterals on leg day, so push day doesn't get too long.

Can even have 2 separate Push Days that you alternate. One where you start flat, then Incline, then vertical press. The other you go the other way, vertical to Incline to flat. Or similar.
I like that. I think that’s what I’ll do. Great idea on the lateral raises. I was thinking, man push day will take hours lol

rear delts on pull day right?

Am I on the right track with being able to handle more with extra gear? On just trt, once a week per muscle group seems like all I can handle. I can do more, just don’t seem to benefit from it.

CJ

Mod Squad
Reaction score
I like that. I think that’s what I’ll do. Great idea on the lateral raises. I was thinking, man push day will take hours lol

rear delts on pull day right?

Am I on the right track with being able to handle more with extra gear? On just trt, once a week per muscle group seems like all I can handle. I can do more, just don’t seem to benefit from it.
Your recovery SHOULD increase, yes. But don't just do double what you were doing once a week and do it twice, that's too big of an increase.

For example, if you were doing 12 sets before on your one back day, start off with 6 sets on each of your two back days now. If all goes well, add a set each week. Remember, 2x6 should be more productive training than 1x12, since you won't be as fatigued as you were by the end of the 12 set day.

Increases in AAS, food, sleep, less stress all ADD to your recovery ability. The opposite holds true as well.

Jonjon

Reaction score
Your recovery SHOULD increase, yes. But don't just do double what you were doing once a week and do it twice, that's too big of an increase.

For example, if you were doing 12 sets before on your one back day, start off with 6 sets on each of your two back days now. If all goes well, add a set each week. Remember, 2x6 should be more productive training than 1x12, since you won't be as fatigued as you were by the end of the 12 set day.

Increases in AAS, food, sleep, less stress all ADD to your recovery ability. The opposite holds true as well.
Great advice

Skullcrusher

Elite
Reaction score
What’s yours?
My split is:

Mon - Chest and Triceps
Wed - Back and Biceps
Fri - Legs

Mon - Shoulders and Traps
Wed - Chest and Triceps
Fri - Back and Biceps