Canned Tuna vs. Canned Chicken

Times Roman

Reaction score
Ever get tired of all the canned tuna? A good alternative is canned chicken found at Costco. Significantly less cost per lb than canned Tuna. And I don't tire of it as easily as the canned Tuna either.

..........just a thought.

Hope it helps!

LeanHerm

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Thanks times. Ill give it a go

Patriot1405

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Never thought about canned chicken.
I'll give it a try!!!

SFGiants

Elite
Reaction score
Neither, buy it raw and cook it best IMO.

G

Georgia

Heat that junk up and pour some Heinz 57 on there and your taste buds will love you

Reaction score
Never tried it because I couldn't imagine it tasting good. But if you say it is I'll try it.

Jada

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I have a couple of cans I brought from bj's but what I noticed it has 319mg of sodium per serving and there's 6 servings, is that bad??

pirovoliko

Reaction score
Canned chicken breast is amazing and I use it to make an awesome chicken salad sandwich. I get berkely & jensen...tastes great...and 84 g of protein per can

PFM

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
The protein and convenience is certainly viable. The sodium for guys watching their BP and water especially BB's like me are going to limit or exclude canned meats more often than not.

Tilltheend

Banned
Reaction score
I would get regular chicken and boil it. The sodium content is too high in canned chicken.

JOMO

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Yup, been eating this for a while. I would rather the canned chix than the tuna anyday.

jennerrator

Fallen Member
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
sodium way too high for me, I don't eat canned anything:)

Santaklaus

SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I been eating canned chicken for about 8 years now. "Chicken of the Sea" brand actually. Its cheaper than the tuna and more protein. Does have a lot more sodium than boiled chicken breast made into chicken salad but it's so much easier if you don't have the time.

AlphaD

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
occasionally I will through a can into my menu rotation, but I do try and watch my salt intake. I am really a straight up meat type of person, steak, chicken, salmon, hamburger. But I like the convenience of canned chicken for chicken salad.

j2048b

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
i cant eat fish, it makes me sick, so canned chicken been a part of the choices for me for years!!

Times Roman

Reaction score
yes, i agree with you blokes on the salt. But then again, this was really aimed at those that eat canned tuna like I did for a year in afghanistan, and putting one more bite of canned tuna in my mouth now is a real effort......

And I do agree, this is a "convenience" thing. If I was really trying to do this right, I would skip it.

Another time saver are those roasted 2lb chickens you see at Costco for $5 each. When I go to Costco, i'll usually bring back one or two. Problem with those quite often is Costco has a tendency to slightly undercook, so you have to watch out for that.

Popeye

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I been eating canned chicken for about 8 years now. "Chicken of the Sea" brand actually. Its cheaper than the tuna and more protein. Does have a lot more sodium than boiled chicken breast made into chicken salad but it's so much easier if you don't have the time.
I hate to be the one to break the news to you but all I could think of is this video.....

G

Georgia

I remember watching that episode with my then girlfriend and thinking "what an air head"

NbleSavage

Veteran
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I keep several cans of chicken in the pantry either for when I've run out of time or supplies (cooking) or as previously mentioned just to mix things up on occasion.