And Out Of The Blue Smoke…An Introduction Arises

Reaction score
Hey All,
New here (not new to lifting and working out but it’s been some time now). Making some lifestyle changes after deciding the past 3 years have been terrible on my body.
Getting sober after a reckless 2019 to 22. Covid lockdown was an mfer, it created a rapid ascent from 2x-3x times a week drinker to everyday 2 glasses of scotch followed by 2 beers. Wasn’t a flat out bumbling drunk or angry dick drunk, but the toll on my overall health and well being became progressively more paramount. Tired, listless, depression. Finally I went sober for Lent and damn did that shit feel good. After Lent though back to the same routine until recently with the birth of my 3rd kid. Had enough. Decided I was getting my shit back in line and back in the gym where I belong. Fell back in love with BBQ (something I was into previously I picked back upas a nice therapeutic alternative to drinking and family stress. Also home brewed and distilled as a side hustle. Kissed that goodbye).
To finish I’ve made a plan for my 33 year old 5’10” 215lb dumbass self.
Aug to Oct - first 2 weeks macros @ maintenance (which honestly would be a deficit when I am eating the right things and not drinking), 4 weeks at deficit, 2 weeks at maintenance at new weight after previous 4wks. At home workouts + morning jog/stationary bike

Oct-Dec - 200lbs to 190lbs. Same as previous. Not sure if doing 2-4-2wks method makes sense, but I feel like possibly for sanity purposes it does, enlighten me if I am being completely off. October I am looking to be back in a gym 100% (3-4 day a week splits)(* I probably will be back in the gym before then, but I am not overly putting the pressure, main goal is to not revert)

Goal is to start 2023 at 190lbs or less and then get some new blood work done, see where am at and either find my way to TRT or full deep end of the pool.

Reaction score
@NbleSavage
Thanks and Yup indeed to all of this. not first rodeo w macros and logging. Used another app previously during March/April Lent period with guidance from TDEE. Pain in the ass was my phone screen was cooked so I was using an ancient Samsung tablet to scan and log food items. eventually I said screw this when I fell off the wagon. Phone fixed and I redownloaded MyFitness.
Was just looking at the logs, and definitely might start one once I’m in the swing of things around here

TODAY

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Welcome aboard, man!

There are quite a few of us here who are in recovery.

It might behoove you to start a diet and training log.

Reaction score
Welcome to the site. Just want to say, I love beer and whiskey, also was a brewer, just doesn't fit my lifestyle. The thing that you don't hear people talk about is non alcoholic beer, it can actually taste good on one a hot day or with bbq and doesn't completely fuck up the diet. If you like ipa's try a brand called athletic brewing it might surprise you how well it satisfies the taste buds. If you're someone who falls off the wagon at a sip of even a fake beer than I'd guess this isn't gonna work. Good luck on your weightloss!

Reaction score
@Wannabbigger
Yeah I actually like non-alcoholic brews. Have had a few recently, low carb also, and wasn’t disgusted. Found them enjoyable when I’m outside feeding the offset or wrapping ribs. I’ve also found seltzers/soda stream to be a great alt as well.
Beer wasn’t a huge vice, it’s always been and adder/after the main course- bourbon or scotch.

Test_subject

Super Duper Elite
Reaction score
Hey All,
New here (not new to lifting and working out but it’s been some time now). Making some lifestyle changes after deciding the past 3 years have been terrible on my body.
Getting sober after a reckless 2019 to 22. Covid lockdown was an mfer, it created a rapid ascent from 2x-3x times a week drinker to everyday 2 glasses of scotch followed by 2 beers. Wasn’t a flat out bumbling drunk or angry dick drunk, but the toll on my overall health and well being became progressively more paramount. Tired, listless, depression. Finally I went sober for Lent and damn did that shit feel good. After Lent though back to the same routine until recently with the birth of my 3rd kid. Had enough. Decided I was getting my shit back in line and back in the gym where I belong. Fell back in love with BBQ (something I was into previously I picked back upas a nice therapeutic alternative to drinking and family stress. Also home brewed and distilled as a side hustle. Kissed that goodbye).
Aug to Oct - first 2 weeks macros @ maintenance (which honestly would be a deficit when I am eating the right things and not drinking), 4 weeks at deficit, 2 weeks at maintenance at new weight after previous 4wks. At home workouts + morning jog/stationary bike

Oct-Dec - 200lbs to 190lbs. Same as previous. Not sure if doing 2-4-2wks method makes sense, but I feel like possibly for sanity purposes it does, enlighten me if I am being completely off. October I am looking to be back in a gym 100% (3-4 day a week splits)(* I probably will be back in the gym before then, but I am not overly putting the pressure, main goal is to not revert)

Goal is to start 2023 at 190lbs or less and then get some new blood work done, see where am at and either find my way to TRT or full deep end of the pool.
Upvoted for not mentioning DNP in your plan.

Stickler

Elite
Reaction score
Glad you made it over and found the realization to make a change for the better! I had a good run of daily drinking.. vodka and lots of it. Ended up with my 3rd DUI last year. Bulked up to prepare for a short stint behind bars and bam, injury -put 2+ months..back 3 weeks and BAM out 2+ more months and landed on pct right before court. Hit 230 nicely and Ended up an injured fat fuck. Anyway, like you. Made the commitment to change and now I don't even miss drinking. I'm fortunate though that after some mental meds I was able to have a drink or two here and there, but no liquor!! Regardless, no real desire, the drive for healthy living and change for the better are everything now. Only difference is I'm 45, so you made a wise choice at a better age!

My journal is all over the place. Workout, diet, mental thoughts. It's like therapy AND accountability all at once. You should consider it, it's surprisingly effective.

Welcome to UG and wish you the best of luck!

Iron1

Veteran
Reaction score
Blue smoke? Might be valve seals or piston rings.

Welcome to SI. :)

CJ

Mod Squad
Reaction score
Welcome to the Underground sir, very creative title... Thumbs up. 👍👍

TiredandHot

Reaction score
Hey All,

Welcome, you can easily meet your weight goal before 2023. I encourage you to consider starting a log here. For accountability, encouragement, and advice along the way.

Rot-Iron66

Elite
Reaction score
Welcome to the site. Just want to say, I love beer and whiskey, also was a brewer, just doesn't fit my lifestyle. The thing that you don't hear people talk about is non alcoholic beer, it can actually taste good on one a hot day or with bbq and doesn't completely fuck up the diet. If you like ipa's try a brand called athletic brewing it might surprise you how well it satisfies the taste buds. If you're someone who falls off the wagon at a sip of even a fake beer than I'd guess this isn't gonna work. Good luck on your weightloss!
I like some of the new N/A beers. They even have some on tap at local breweries. The Heineken 0.0 isnt bad for home (or even Bud Zero, not bad)..

New Threads