Any New Awsomeness?

creekrat

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Just seeing if any of you have had great things happen lately to you? I’ll start by sharing mine.

A couple years ago we took in a girl that was 17 at the time and our oldest son had at one point dated. Her mom was abusive and dad was not in the picture. Early on she asked if she could call us mom and dad because that’s effectively what we were to her and she had never had that.

We set boundaries and rules just like with our 2 bio boys and we’ve butted heads and posted her off while maintaining the role of her parents even after she moved out. She works with my wife and when I’m home we probably se her 3-4 times a week outside of her work. She’s a great kid and has adjusted well to having parental figures that actually give a guck about her.

Well she’s now 20 and for Father’s Day the wife, both boys and her FaceTimed me. They were all in on it but on July 20th she is officially changing her last name to ours as well as hyphenating her middle name and taking my wife’s middle name.

That’s all. Carry on

sfw509

Reaction score
That's awesome bro! You and your wife sound like amazing people. And that young woman is lucky to have your family in her life.

Jin

Retired UG Staff
Reaction score
Recently the daughter of some acquaintances of ours has come to live with us. She is American but born in Japan. When her family moved back to The States they gave us their full sized American oven (Japan has countertop ovens only), when we picked it up we met her.

She moved back with them to the US but just feels more comfortable here in Japan. Because no one else would let her do the two weeks quarantine with them she asked us.

She’s staying with us for the time being and will look for a house in our town, among other places.

I was an only child but I honestly feel
Like I have a little sister now. Her and my wife get along well, she’s great with my kids and we all have a deep meaningful relationship. She is at a point in her life where she really needs family, love and acceptance. I’m deeply grateful she is in our life. She’s definitely a great addition to our family.

sfw509

Reaction score
Great stuff man. My turn.

I do behavior therapy with people who have developmental disabilities, mostly autism and down syndrome. I got a client a few years ago who had some fairly negative behaviors, property destruction, verbal and physical aggression. High functioning but hey could be challenging to say the least.

They have made some great progress and were allowed to start doing some volunteer work at their day program. Our work together focused on accountability, recognizing emotions, and self regulating. It really seemed to be going well. So well they were referred to the state job placement agency for people with disabilities.

Earlier this week they completed their job training and became a full employee of the company that runs their day program. So proud of them and thankful for they were given this opportunity.

flenser

Elite
Reaction score
My niece and nephew (twins) age 16 were here last week for their annual visit/vacation. We've been doing this for the last 6 years, since their mother died of alcoholism, I mean liver failure. Their father had died of the same thing a couple of years earlier, and their grandparents were taking care of them (sort of).

The first time they were here they were completely wild. My nephew literally ate mashed potatoes with his hand in the restaurant we stopped at on the way home from the airport. There were some pretty disturbing events that first week. Before they left we felt we had made a little progress with their behavior without actually spoiling their vacation. We worked on influence, not discipline. We talked about adopting, but their grandparents said they would fight us, and our lawyer said we would lose. So the annual visit/vacation tradition began, and we got to see a one week annual window into their growth and progress.

Six years later: Both are well mannered teens and into sports. My niece is among the top 10 HS debaters in her state. My nephew is doing well in engineering classes (I forget what they call it in HS), and is becoming a decent programmer. Both work during the summer (vacation week excepted). My niece has a steady BF (also a champion debater) who will be at Texas A&M next year with a full scholarship. He came out with them this year, and we stayed up late several nights discussing politics and the world in general at a level most adults never achieve.

Not sure how much influence our annual hosting has had, but whatever the reasons I am very proud of them. By every statistical measure they should be homeless drug addicts by now. Somehow they beat the odds and have very bright futures ahead of them.

Trump

Unstoppable Force
Reaction score
i have 4 children only 1 is biologically mine but they are all my children equally, my eldest daughter is 22 and only recently found out i wasnt her biological father because someone else decided to tell her (it didnt cross my mind to tell her because i didnt see her as any kind of step child). She just said so what he has and always will be my Dad. The youngest 2 girls that my wife has call me Dad and they are the same to me. I was only there at the conception of my boy.
1st wife left me when my son was 2 years old and daughter was 7, and she has barely seen them since. Her loss my absolute gain, my son calls my wife Mum now and doesnt acknowledge that there is anyone else.

NbleSavage

Veteran
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Last night after me shift I was hungry as a hostage. Then I recalled how I'd sliced a salmon fillet into burger sized patties earlier in the week while enjoying some top shelf ganja. I dug those b1tches out, tossed 'em in the air frier then onto some brioche buns with habanero mayonnaise. Was awesome. Turns out 'High Me' is a pretty good friend to 'Straight Me'.

Trendkill

👑 Benevolent Sammich King 👑
Reaction score
My oldest son has literally become a mini-me but without the bad parts. This kid is highly motivated to succeed in life and I love it. He started training with me 3 years ago and now has a crew of 5 of his friends that all train together in our garage. During this time he has also become a full blown metal head and has also surpassed me in guitar playing ability after only 3 years. I got him his dream guitar for his birthday last year and he cried when I presented it to him. Now that the world is back open he has been looking for bands coming through town for us to go see. In September we are going to see Lamb of God and Megadeth. In October we are headed to see Black Label Society. He is most excited, however, for March 2022 when his favorite band Meshuggah will be playing. It is so cool to share two of my life's passions with him and to see the joy he gets from lifting and heavy music. My youngest is still a work in progress but at least he's started training. The music is another story though.....

j2048b

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I grew up with a dad who was very verbally abusive and a horrible drunk, alll this time has passed, and everytime i felt like i finally forgave him for being a total deuche....my unforgiveness would creep back ion and my mouth would spit fire about him and wish him death......it wasnt until recenty that he got baptized and became born again.....i am still in a bit of shock....i sat down looked over my life, the blessings the Lord has bestowed upon me, and finally just said screw it, prayed a bunch and finally truly forgave the man...... which leads me to the next portion of my journey,

when i first left home, I prayed the Lord would bless MY decisions i made as i grew up, he said sure sure FOR A TIME.... it wasnt until 21 yrs later that i finally forgave my dad, and low and behold i got a new job! Ive been tryin to move on from my past career for the last 10 yrs, everything, getting degree's and doing what i thought was right.....it wasnt until i broke that yolk of unforgiveness for the Lord to truly bless me with a new career i hope to be in for the rest of my life in some fashion....

JuiceTrain

Elite
Reaction score
I moved out of state temporarily just to work during covid because I was bored but apparently this company has some big contracts and is going to have work for the next 10-15years, so now I don't have to worry about getting layed off anytime soon lol.

John Ziegler

Elite
Reaction score
Thats awesome Creek youre a hard working sob you deserve it. My great thing going atm is me on Vacation with the wife in Desoto Missouri. Hiking fishing swimming smoking (not tobacco) fucking etc.

Trump

Unstoppable Force
Reaction score
Just bought a ninja dual air frier, I have no idea how I got through these last 44 years without one. This thing is the dogs bollocks, best thing since sliced bread

New Threads