Anyone in the IT/Computer Science Field?

HH

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Just wondering how you guys like your line of work, easy job security, pay, schedule, etc?

sfstud33

SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Love it. Lots of call for technical people that can also do project management - and it pays well. Had a good career spanning 20 years and got to travel to Belgium, England, Hong Kong, Germany, Singapore, Australia and all over the USA. Seen a bit of the world for a computer geek!

Now i run my own business and do all my own technical work for our company. We have 6 employees and the years of technical work and project management have really helped me in running a company and setting priorities. Not that i get it right all the time, but overall its a pretty great lifestyle.

HH

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Love it. Lots of call for technical people that can also do project management - and it pays well. Had a good career spanning 20 years and got to travel to Belgium, England, Hong Kong, Germany, Singapore, Australia and all over the USA. Seen a bit of the world for a computer geek!

Now i run my own business and do all my own technical work for our company. We have 6 employees and the years of technical work and project management have really helped me in running a company and setting priorities. Not that i get it right all the time, but overall its a pretty great lifestyle.

Not to shabby for a computer geek at all my friend.lol Im assuming you went the Information Technology route?

sfstud33

SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Bachelor of business in information technology. Leave the computer sciences to the economists and the number crunchers. Cant stand math myself. Add, Subtract, Totals, Average etc - but no freaky math - too difficult on the brain.

Make sure you choose something that will give you career advancement in a technical way. Dont get married to one technology - the problem with a one trick pony is that it only knows one trick. Technology is a fad - whats in today is out tomorrow. Have a few arrows in your quiver!

You might want to find out what some of the larger companies are hiring - see the job descriptions they post and use that as guidance in your studies to shape yourself into that mold. That way everything you do is set to match up to what the company wants. Generally always custom write a resume for each job application. Pull out non relevant stuff and insert relevant stuff. If you have to have 4 different resumes then so be it. I've had resumes for being a programmer, consultant, project manager, technical project manager, quality analyst - all at the same time :) Just tell the story that the hiring manager whats to hear.

TheLupinator

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
IT has some of the best pay right out of college and are almost always in high demand..