Athleanx videos

Reaction score
So, I know a lot of people say to not get everything from YouTube. But I’ve been watching AthleanX and he has a series he refers to as “The perfect ______” workout and he does one for each muscle group. Wondering if anyone has seen them. I’m not at the point where I feel like I should start power lifting, really only been back in the gym for about 2 to 3 months. Been focusing more on loosing some of my body fat and get a decent starting body build right now.
Was considering just following this series to the T for 2 or 3 months.
Thoughts? Open to criticism and suggestions as I’m trying to learn as much as I can about all the muscle groups and their purpose and how to properly target them and build them etc.

CJ

Mod Squad
Reaction score
So, I know a lot of people say to not get everything from YouTube. But I’ve been watching AthleanX and he has a series he refers to as “The perfect ______” workout and he does one for each muscle group. Wondering if anyone has seen them. I’m not at the point where I feel like I should start power lifting, really only been back in the gym for about 2 to 3 months. Been focusing more on loosing some of my body fat and get a decent starting body build right now.
Thoughts? Open to criticism and suggestions as I’m trying to learn as much as I can about all the muscle groups and their purpose and how to properly target them and build them etc.
He's ok, I watch his stuff. But remember, he can't possibly know YOUR perfect workout. It's an individual thing, one's particular body/limb lengths, strengths and weaknesses, injury history, etc...

He's not the only one with Perfect Workouts, as John Meadows also has them. And definitely check him out too, he's Mountain Dog on YouTube.

It's just a headline to grab you in, click bait... Although it's usually good general advice. If you follow what he suggests, it won't be BAD per se, but it's just a general routine. But you will learn some things from it, good and bad.

Reaction score
I'm not a pro, but I like that guy. What he teaches in terms of form and stuff mirrors what a few trainers I've worked with have showed me.

I think it's good to focus on proper form in the beginning. Don't worry about how much weight you're moving. Getting with a real life trainer is invaluable because they can correct you on the spot. But if that's not available, sure watch youtube. Check out John Meadows too, pretty much everybody likes him.

BrotherIron

Reaction score
There are a lot of good youtube vids out there to help with form. Check out Chris Duffin.

69nites

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I'd say athleanx is amongst the worst fitness YouTube channels. It's like the men's fitness of YouTube. Just a marketing machine.

Reaction score
He's ok, I watch his stuff. But remember, he can't possibly know YOUR perfect workout. It's an individual thing, one's particular body/limb lengths, strengths and weaknesses, injury history, etc...

He's not the only one with Perfect Workouts, as John Meadows also has them. And definitely check him out too, he's Mountain Dog on YouTube.

It's just a headline to grab you in, click bait... Although it's usually good general advice. If you follow what he suggests, it won't be BAD per se, but it's just a general routine. But you will learn some things from it, good and bad.

Awesome. I appreciate this input.
I sorta figured the whole “perfect” thing was more a clickbait then reality. I’m mostly interested in the videos right now because he does a good job at explaining each muscle and the parts and how they work. And this is something I really want to learn. I don’t just want to be that guy that goes into the gym and just does any random workout that I think will hit the muscle I want. I really want to know how they work, what they are for, and how to target each one.
I’ve tried reading books but it’s hard for me. I have major adhd and reading guides or books about the body and it’s anatomy is hard. My mind drifts and it is damn near impossible for me to stay attuned and not lose focus. My retention taut when reading is so low as well. I’ll read and read and finish and be like “shit what did I just read” and have to read again.

Videos help keep my mind interested and I seem to retain more from them.

I’ll definitely check out John Meadows.

I know the more I try and learn the more I will come to know what works for my body and doesn’t. Right now it’s sorta a fun journey and experience.

CJ

Mod Squad
Reaction score
I sorta figured the whole “perfect” thing was more a clickbait then reality. I’m mostly interested in the videos right now because he does a good job at explaining each muscle and the parts and how they work. And this is something I really want to learn. I don’t just want to be that guy that goes into the gym and just does any random workout that I think will hit the muscle I want. I really want to know how they work, what they are for, and how to target each one.
I’ve tried reading books but it’s hard for me. I have major adhd and reading guides or books about the body and it’s anatomy is hard. My mind drifts and it is damn near impossible for me to stay attuned and not lose focus. My retention taut when reading is so low as well. I’ll read and read and finish and be like “shit what did I just read” and have to read again.

I know the more I try and learn the more I will come to know what works for my body and doesn’t. Right now it’s sorta a fun journey and experience.
The AthleanX guy, Jeff Cavaliere, does try to be a little "too cool for school" though, it's his niche, as he's a PT/CSCS??? for professional sports teams, so that's kinda his thing.

Still mostly solid info, but just remember the context. He's not trying to get anyone SWOLE!!!

Reaction score
I know this post is pretty old but athlean-x is so full of shit

FlyingPapaya

Shit Pickle
Reaction score
Anything with Dave tate, Ed coan, jm Blakely.

CJ

Mod Squad
Reaction score
Joe Bennett, aka The Hypertrophy Coach, also has really good videos. Does a good job of explaining the who, what, when, where, why, and hows.

Steeeve

Reaction score

Im seeing a lot of "marketing machine" and "full of shit" responses from people who don't understand his business model. He makes the majority of his money on youtube. A platform that demands frequent posts (fuck dude derek w/ mpmd is up to like 4 a day) with "clickbaity" titles to get the clicks (and thus get them advertising dollars). This model leads to some subpar videos with titles like "your perfect _____" and "____ is killing your gains". This doesnt detract from the fact that he has some SUPERB content thats highly useful. Like all things, its important for you to speerate the wheat from the chaff. Id make similar points about pages like Elitefts and SquatU. Both have put out some incredibly useful content. Both have also put out some straight bullshit.

69nites

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Im seeing a lot of "marketing machine" and "full of shit" responses from people who don't understand his business model. He makes the majority of his money on youtube. A platform that demands frequent posts (fuck dude derek w/ mpmd is up to like 4 a day) with "clickbaity" titles to get the clicks (and thus get them advertising dollars). This model leads to some subpar videos with titles like "your perfect _____" and "____ is killing your gains". This doesnt detract from the fact that he has some SUPERB content thats highly useful. Like all things, its important for you to speerate the wheat from the chaff. Id make similar points about pages like Elitefts and SquatU. Both have put out some incredibly useful content. Both have also put out some straight bullshit.
Superb is a massive stretch.

It's decent information for the extreme beginner.

He's what I would consider a "guru". A guy with all the answers on how to achieve what he never has been able to himself.

If I wanted to be tiny, weak, and shredded, he's probably the first guy I'd go to for advice, as that's the sum of his achievements. But that's about it.

CJ

Mod Squad
Reaction score
If I wanted to be tiny, weak, and shredded, he's probably the first guy I'd go to for advice, as that's the sum of his achievements. But that's about it.
There's a lot more of these people than us. Hell, how many times have we seen here a new guy saying that he wants to look like Brad Pitt from Fight Club? 🤣

flenser

Elite
Reaction score
Lots of youtube channels cover the seriously bad advice Jeff Cavaliere has been giving to millions over the years. Just search this guy's channel for "athlean" for some pretty funny ones. This is one of my favorites...

Steeeve

Reaction score
Superb is a massive stretch.

It's decent information for the extreme beginner.

He's what I would consider a "guru". A guy with all the answers on how to achieve what he never has been able to himself.

If I wanted to be tiny, weak, and shredded, he's probably the first guy I'd go to for advice, as that's the sum of his achievements. But that's about it
I'm more of a MPMD/Vigorous Steve guy on YT myself. Seen them both getting drug on boards for talking negatively about the advice and content youll find here though lol

Blusoul24

Elite
Reaction score
I know this post is pretty old but athlean-x is so full of shit
Listen, nobody is always right. There is a ton of bullshit out there on the web from everybody, even some people that everyone loves. In reality, this guy was the physical therapist and assistant strength coach for the New York Mets, and has been a trainer for a lot of celebrities and top level athletes. You may not agree with everything he's doing, nor do I, but taking pot shots at him doesn't reflect well on you.

learn what you can from everybody, then disregard the rest. I've picked up a lot of knowledge from the guy, and I also disagree with some of what he says. It's all about learning. In all reality, regardless of what I think, that guy knows a shit ton more than I do.

FearThaGear

Reaction score
I am more of a Jason Blaha kinda guy.

The most underrated fitness expert of our time.

He is a former mercenary and special ops commando.

New Threads