Does overhead press work lateral delts

Reaction score
Does the overhead press, barbell overhead press work your side delts significantly.

Does the overhead press work all three heads of the shoulder and getting it heavy for reps will you in the process get big overall shoulders

I'm really asking about side delts

Reaction score
Does the overhead press, barbell overhead press work your side delts significantly.

Does the overhead press work all three heads of the shoulder and getting it heavy for reps will you in the process get big overall shoulders

Ohp hits the front delt more

If you want to specifically hit side (medial) delt then you want lateral raises (db and cable) and upright rows.

TODAY

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score

With proper form, you'll get  some medial delt involvement, but the rear delts really aren't doing much.

I love OHP, but it really isn't a great movement for overall shoulder development

CJ

Mod Squad
Reaction score
Get into an OH Press position, and look at your shoulders. Whatever part is on top facing the ceiling will be what's doing the work.

So lots of front delt, and the front portion of the lateral delt.

buck

Reaction score
I find the top 1/3 of the movement tends to target triceps and traps more.

Mythos

Elite
Reaction score
Generally it's not a lot of side delt in OHP but I think you can add more side delt involvement by being more strict on the movement and also there's a cue where you push your body through your arms in the top third of the movement that works well for me. I think a lot of people turn the OHP into a high incline press with back arch and body English, not locking out which I don't think is a good idea for hypertrophy training. Try doing them mechanically strict and focus on getting some engagement in that second half to 1/3. Also i found that doing my lateral raises before OHP was informative as to how much and at what part of the movement you're getting side delt activity

CJ

Mod Squad
Reaction score
Everything I've seen says that the lateral delts are worked at the very bottom of the rep, and as you press up the load shifts to more of the front delt, and ultimately the triceps.

To work the lateral delts in the press, you need to go deep, none of this stopping at 90° stuff.

Mythos

Elite
Reaction score
Everything I've seen says that the lateral delts are worked at the very bottom of the rep, and as you press up the load shifts to more of the front delt, and ultimately the triceps.

To work the lateral delts in the press, you need to go deep, none of this stopping at 90° stuff.
Hmm 🤔 that makes sense. Maybe that pushing your upper body through the arms just keeps tension on the side delts further into the movement.

Reaction score
If you have access to a Hammer Strength shoulder press, I think you'll get more side delt recruitment from that because it starts the pressing motion a little further back than you would be with a barbell ohp.

Side lateral raises for the win.

Shoulders are like my only strong point lol. The Hammer Strength shoulder press is the main lift for me when I work shoulders.

New Threads