Hypothyroidism and dieting

Reaction score
Our thyroid supposedly makes around 30mcg/day. I can only talk from using T3 for cutting fat, but less than 50mcg didn't make a difference for me. Have you pulled the sugar out of your diet to see if you start dropping?

Yes, sugar restricted. As I said, weight loss was doing well, dropping 30 lbs before stalling.

I added the 25 mcg T3 to the prescribed 2 grains of NDT that I have been taking for a long time with my TSH staying around the 4 to 5 range. The NDT provides 76 mcg T4 and 18 mcg T3, for a total of 43 mcg of T3 a day. Hopefully it will drop my TSH under 2.5, as it has never done it with the DR prescribed meds.

This seems to be helping with dropping off the weight again. So far so good.

MuscleMedicineMD

Reaction score
Thank you for responding.

Couple months ago I had a full thyroid blood work done, gp cleared me as being fine however i have every symptom of being hypo. Granted I do have pcos however not currently active so not sure how much impact that could be having on me.

These were my labs and according to NHS graphs they were all pretty much bordering over or under the norm.

TSH 3.88mu/L
Thyroxine 14.5pmol/L
Triodothyronine 4.6pmol/L.

having checked a few charts for you as we never used those particular units (which is so annoying).. they looked just under OPTIMAL but certainly within range. So I would look to solutions to your symptoms elsewhere. Having PCOS, which is a serious condition, you should be seeing an ENDO for all endocrine related issues.
Best,
M3

xyokoma

Elite Lady Member
Reaction score
having checked a few charts for you as we never used those particular units (which is so annoying).. they looked just under OPTIMAL but certainly within range. So I would look to solutions to your symptoms elsewhere. Having PCOS, which is a serious condition, you should be seeing an ENDO for all endocrine related issues.
Best,
M3

Thanks for looking those results up.

Sadly in the UK PCOS is looked at as less of a condition and more of a "another woman complaining about nothing".

The only treatment/management for pcos being offered, and i'm using that term very loosely, is being put on whatever birth control available at the time without looking at the ingredients/dosages.

Rhino99

Elite
Reaction score
Just to add: you absolutely need to also check
iron
iron saturation
uibc
tibc
anti thyroglobulin
ferritin and reverse T3

Reactions: Jin
Reaction score
Little update since adding the 25 mcg to my natural thyroid med....

Down to 222 and my last TSH test number was in the low 3 range. The lowest I have ever tested. Not a drastic cut in weight, but slow and steady.