Knee wraps/sleeves?

ATLRigger

Elite
Reaction score
I do forward lunges to warm up, per my coach. I also use wraps whenever i go to 275 or above

snake

Veteran
Reaction score
Right now twice a week
And I’m not going heavy. I’m going up to 185 for 3 sets of high reps.

When my knees are sore I don’t push any further

I think my original post got misunderstood. I’m not in bad pain or anything, I’m just wanting to see if I can try something to help. It’s more of a feeling of just being cold and I can’t seem to get them feeling lubricated and ready. This all just started a few months ago.

I just started low dose deca so I’m sure that’ll help.
This is just me but I train legs once a week. I hit legs on Sat morning and I am still limping this afternoon.

There's several school of thought on stretching but I feel it has helped me. I stretch my quad, glutes, hams and back 30 min a day 6 days a week and always before my legs training. Only day I will not stretch is the day after squats. I just don't like the idea of pulling on a muscle that's been that damaged.

BrotherIron

Reaction score
I do forward lunges to warm up, per my coach. I also use wraps whenever i go to 275 or above
I would add wraps in as a % of my 1RM and not just at a specific weight on the bar. That way as my numbers increase so does the number when I begin wrapping myself or having someone wrap my knees.

ATLRigger

Elite
Reaction score
I would add wraps in as a % of my 1RM and not just at a specific weight on the bar. That way as my numbers increase so does the number when I begin wrapping myself or having someone wrap my knees.
Yes this is true for my case as well. I shouldn’t have written 275 lbs in there without explanation.
Reminds me of something noblesavage saying in another thread recently that guys should get up to 200lbs fairly lean before using any gear. I was like, my fighting weight is 145. Seems arbitrary to hit 200.

SFGiants

Elite
Reaction score
The gym trainer might not know squat, IMO this always sounds like bad technique, especially too forward.

Reaction score
Knee sleeves provide compression to your muscles, but if you're looking for something to give support or ‘harden up' your knee, then they won't help too much. A fairly well-known fact is that when the extensors of the knee contract (those are called hamstrings), there is less stress on the joint. Knee sleeves don’t really have much effect in this area.

Reaction score
I think sleeves and wraps will just mask the issue. If you're knee hurts, it's your body telling you something is wrong. Could be form, could be overuse. Maybe go to a really good PT that specializes in working with athletes. They could diagnose potential imbalances or mobility issues that may be causing your knee pain.

I know it's sacrilege but I quit back squatting. Due to injuries. I do a lot of heavy sled work and unilateral leg excercises for my lower body.

ATLRigger

Elite
Reaction score
The gym trainer might not know squat, IMO this always sounds like bad technique, especially too forward.
The forward lunges are body weight only. Also do one leg stand ups from sitting position. He’s pretty good with corrective exercise. Has fixed several problem of mine.

FearThaGear

Reaction score
For squats or any movement where I need to support my knees, I prefer wraps over sleeves.

Likewise, I prefer sleeves over wraps for my elbows.

New Threads