New Guy Trying To Get Into Shape..

RiR0

Sage of Swole
Reaction score
I'm going to switch my split up to a PPL routine. Any input on the following?

Push:
Flat Bench Press
Incline Press
Overhead Press
Lateral Raises
Dips
Lying Skullcrushers

Legs:
Squats
Lunges
Leg Extensions
RDL
Calf Raises
Cable Crunches

Pull:
Deadlifts
Pullups
Lat Pulldowns
Barbell Rows
Cable Rows
EZ Curls
Cable Curls
Change it to
Pull
Push
Legs

Oakley6575

Reaction score
Change it to
Pull
Push
Legs
If I do that, should I run:

Pull
Push
Legs
Rest
Pull
Push
Legs
Rest

I'm worried about my hams being fucked from RDLs the next day having to deadlift if I don't have a rest day between them.

RiR0

Sage of Swole
Reaction score
Maybe only do 1 of the rows on Pull Day. You have a lot of hard work on that day, it might be a bit too much, and those 2 rows are kind of redundant.
🤔 maybe but it depends on how he performs the rows and he’s only doing it once a week.
If one is more lat focused with elbows tucked and the other is more upper back focused with elbows flared it makes sense.
They also have different resistance profiles.
It is a lot of work but he’s got 7 days to rest and the loads he’s moving aren’t going to be that crazy yet.

Reactions: CJ

RiR0

Sage of Swole
Reaction score

Pull
Push
Legs
Rest
Pull
Push
Legs
Rest

I'm worried about my hams being fucked from RDLs the next day having to deadlift if I don't have a rest day between them.
No, don’t do it everyday. Do eod. More is not better. In fact I’d say just Monday Wednesday and Friday

RiR0

Sage of Swole
Reaction score
You’re not growing in the gym.

RiR0

Sage of Swole
Reaction score
Monday-pull
Wednesday-push
Friday-legs
Get your cardio in on your off days

CJ

Mod Squad
Reaction score
🤔 maybe but it depends on how he performs the rows and he’s only doing it once a week.
If one is more lat focused with elbows tucked and the other is more upper back focused with elbows flared it makes sense.
They also have different resistance profiles.
It is a lot of work but he’s got 7 days to rest and the loads he’s moving aren’t going to be that crazy yet.
Fair enough, I didn't take frequency into account at all. Important detail.

TODAY

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Sounds like a solid plan overall & good for you for getting serious. A couple thoughts:
1) Diet is key. Make this the highest priority. Also, note that continuous dieting is counterproductive. I usually cut hard during the week and go back to near maintenance at the weekend to prevent metabolic fatigue. This is a research-supported strategy & is highly effective.
2) Weigh yourself daily & track in an app or spreadsheet
3) Take some before photos ASAP. Double biceps front & back and a side shot.
4) Get your thyroid checked ASAP. Controls your base metabolism & problems are common. Raising T3 is also a common cutting strategy. This is what makes anavar effective for a cut
5) Prioritize recovery & manage your cortisol. Cortisol does the4 exact opposite of everything you want and will derail your progress when you are otherwise doing everything else right. Get your sleep!
6) At some point, you will need to include cardio, but you will need to be very careful about how much (many ways of doing cardio massively increase cortisol levels). Look at lactic acid training and the sprint 8 protocol. Measurable increases in natural GH production amongst a host of other benefits. I have used it myself & found it highly effective.

Good luck & be sure to report back about your progress!
Fuck off back to your Herbalife training seminars with this garbage.

RiR0

Sage of Swole
Reaction score
Understood! At what point do I increase frequency to 2x/wk?
Why would you need to increase? You could stick with this for a while. At some point you might need to lower volume but don’t worry about that yet

Oakley6575

Reaction score
Asking because I was moving to PPL instead of my full body workouts MWF so I could get more days in the gym. If you don't think that is a good idea, I'm all ears. I'll stick to the MWF training schedule.

I appreciate the help!

TomJ

"Elite" 😏
Reaction score

Pull
Push
Legs
Rest
Pull
Push
Legs
Rest

This is precisely what I was doing for years up until this January.

This split is fine, but as @RiR0 said, we don't grow in the gym. We grow when we rest, and this split is notoriously hard to get proper rest.

I found that, even on cycle, I couldn't maintain this frequency at a proper intensity indefinitely. I needed to deload every 4-5 weeks to give my cns, tendons, and all that jazz a break.

So just keep this in mind, if you do a split like this, and you don't feel like you need a deload ever, then your intensity is probably too low and you're not training efficiently.
Yes you'll still grow, but you'll be putting far more stress on everything for what you could be gaining with less frequency and more intensity.

A compromise that I played with was PPL once a week with an arms/accessories day, so something like:

Monday-pull
Wednesday -push
Friday-legs
Sat-arms/accessories

Still gives you plenty of rest, still hits every body part, and fills the shortcoming of PPL which is arms training.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Test_subject

Super Duper Elite
Reaction score

This split is fine, but as @RiR0 said, we don't grow in the gym. We grow when we rest, and this split is notoriously hard to get proper rest.

I found that, even on cycle, I couldn't maintain this frequency at a proper intensity indefinitely. I needed to deload every 4-5 weeks to give my cns, tendons, and all that jazz a break.

So just keep this in mind, if you do a split like this, and you don't feel like you need a deload ever, then your intensity is probably too low and you're not training efficiently.
Yes you'll still grow, but you'll be putting far more stress on everything for what you could be gaining with less frequency and more intensity.

A compromise that I played with was PPL once a week with an arms/accessories day, so something like:

Monday-pull
Wednesday -push
Friday-legs
Sat-arms/accessories

Still gives you plenty of rest, still hits every body part, and fills the shortcoming of PPL which is arms training.

One of the most jacked motherfuckers I’ve ever met does almost exactly that PPLA split.

The Meso guys know Mac. Dude is next level.

Oakley6575

Reaction score

Monday-pull
Wednesday -push
Friday-legs
Sat-arms/accessories

One of the most jacked motherfuckers I’ve ever met does almost exactly that PPLA split.

The Meso guys know Mac. Dude is next level.
Interesting. Thanks guys. I'll give the PPL split some time and see what body parts would benefit from having an accessory day.

BRICKS

Veteran
Reaction score
Welcome to UGBB. Stay consistent and disciplined in your training and nutrition and you'll get where you want to be. Be patient, it all takes time.

TomJ

"Elite" 😏
Reaction score
Interesting. Thanks guys. I'll give the PPL split some time and see what body parts would benefit from having an accessory day.
The best split is the one that is fun for you and that you can adhere to and be consistent with.

Oakley6575

Reaction score
Probably a dumb questions but I want to get the most out of my workouts:

I train first thing in the morning, fasted (I have a home gym). I've always had a really hard time eating right when I wake up. I just don't have an appetite and anything I eat has a hard time going down. Would eating 60g-80g of carbs as my last meal, pre-bed, suffice for training the next morning? After I train, I shower, and then eat a post workout meal high in protein and carbs.

TODAY

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Probably a dumb questions but I want to get the most out of my workouts:

I train first thing in the morning, fasted (I have a home gym). I've always had a really hard time eating right when I wake up. I just don't have an appetite and anything I eat has a hard time going down. Would eating 60g-80g of carbs as my last meal, pre-bed, suffice for training the next morning? After I train, I shower, and then eat a post workout meal high in protein and carbs.
At your current level, this should be fine. If you find yourself consistently running out of gas during training, the maybe consider a shake first thing in the morning.

New Threads