Newbie athletic cycle

CJ

Mod Squad
Reaction score
Looking back, I was doing too much CF. It's what I believe caused my blood tests to show low testosterone. I was always beat up, needed a break.

I went the TRT route, been injecting ever since. I'm sick of it. And I was late 30s. You're only early 20s. Your decisions have consequences, be aware.

Reaction score
Looking back, I was doing too much CF. It's what I believe caused my blood tests to show low testosterone. I was always beat up, needed a break.

I went the TRT route, been injecting ever since. I'm sick of it. And I was late 30s. You're only early 20s. Your decisions have consequences, be aware.
Too much CrossFit will eventually cause The Gay. Hopefully you got out in time.

TODAY

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I did a 5x5 8 week block recently w/ a heavy reduction of bjj to test that theory. No weight gain, meticulous diet regimen (caloric surplus w/ high protein intake). No substantial change in mood or body comp besides the extra fat gained. Before bjj I did just bodybuilding & powerlifting, similar results, can't gain actual muscle, strength somewhat.
Here's the rub, my guy:

If you can't figure out how to put on weight naturally, then you are NOT ready to hop on gear.

Keep experimenting, researching, and training. Once you've established a solid practical understanding of proper nutrition, training, and endocrinology, THEN start planning a future cycle.

Reaction score
Here's the rub, my guy:

If you can't figure out how to put on weight naturally, then you are NOT ready to hop on gear.

Keep experimenting, researching, and training. Once you've established a solid practical understanding of proper nutrition, training, and endocrinology, THEN start planning a future cycle.
I am curious if this is my genetic max, or near it. My numbers after btm: 5'9 175lbs. Bench 285, deadlift 405, squat 365. My mother's side of the fam is all smaller than me by 20-30lbs and 3-5in shorter. father was adopted so no history there. I'm 1 year away from that total but still at 170lbs. For some history I started BB at 145lbs.

GSgator

Reaction score
Hit the weights and eat more your not going to build muscle rolling. I lost all my mass when I started BJJ your body won’t keep any of that extra weight it doesn’t need even muscle if your exerting yourself super hard and not getting in calories. So in a since you’re right if your genetically not a big guy you’re dealing with your genetic skeletal muscle makeup.

RiR0

Sage of Swole
Reaction score
I am curious if this is my genetic max, or near it. My numbers after btm: 5'9 175lbs. Bench 285, deadlift 405, squat 365. My mother's side of the fam is all smaller than me by 20-30lbs and 3-5in shorter. father was adopted so no history there. I'm 1 year away from that total but still at 170lbs. For some history I started BB at 145lbs.
15-20% at 175. No. You’re not near some arbitrary genetic max. You’re not doing everything optimally now.
You need to eat more if you’re doing bjj and weight training. Do you want to gain size or lose fat?
Pic a goal. You’re going to gain fat trying to gain muscle. You’re going to lose some strength as much you’re training in a fat loss phase natural.
Your training and diet aren’t optimal for you.

New Threads