Newbie Planning/Considering

Reaction score
Hey guys,

33, male
5'9"
182lbs
~13% BF (trying to be critical here, can see my abs but don't think that means shit)
Lifting and nutrition been on point for a while now
Currently I'm doing a PPL the jeff nippard one (dumb? mediocre? I really enjoy it)
Also do BJJ/Muay Thai

Been seriously considering a cycle for a while now. Still wanna get my BF closer to 10% before I do and get my lifts up a bit. I don't want to get massive body builder size, but just trying to get leaner and a little bigger, while keeping my cardio for the martial arts hobbies mentioned. Is this retarded? Shred me if it is

Got bloods done about 10 days ago just waiting on the results before I commit to a cycle. Have a very trusted AAS source I spent weeks finding (includes full HPLC for each batch), and by the time I pull the trigger I will make sure to have the proper AI/PCT sources as well.

Any opinions, criticisms or tips are welcome. Anyway, glad to be here!

Reaction score
Different training routine than the PPL? Totally open to suggestions

Reaction score
Yeah definitely more hypertrophy based, but usually starting with the big lifts like Squat, Deads, Bench, OHP going for strength (4-5 rep range 75-90% 1RM as weeks progress). But also it's 6 days a week. I know I've seen you mention 6 days being a bit much on another guys PPL, but I'm curious if this is set up this way because each day isn't crazy volume. about 20-22 sets on average for each day (or is that crazy volume still?) My legs are usually so thrashed I have to do PPL, rest day, PPL rest day.

EDIT: It actually has you do LPP, starting with legs for the sequence

Also my main goals I guess I put above the martial arts goals are looks. So I thought a hypertrophy approach would be good but if thats wrong then I will for sure take any advice

iGone

The Reporter
Reaction score
welcome

just going to echo riro and ask why this route for bjj/muay thai?
If your main focus is aesthetics, that will (i assume) take away form the combat sports to some degree.

Personally, I'm a fan of Jeff's programs. My only complaint is his odd choice in movements sometimes which doesn't help with my home gym setup.

other than that, I'm glad you're doing your homework. Start up a log start tracking your progress!

RiR0

Sage of Swole
Reaction score
Yeah definitely more hypertrophy based, but usually starting with the big lifts like Squat, Deads, Bench, OHP going for strength (4-5 rep range 75-90% 1RM as weeks progress). But also it's 6 days a week. I know I've seen you mention 6 days being a bit much on another guys PPL, but I'm curious if this is set up this way because each day isn't crazy volume. about 20-22 sets on average for each day (or is that crazy volume still?) My legs are usually so thrashed I have to do PPL, rest day, PPL rest day.

EDIT: It actually has you do LPP, starting with legs for the sequence

Also my main goals I guess I put above the martial arts goals are looks. So I thought a hypertrophy approach would be good but if thats wrong then I will for sure take any advice
I found it I’m looking over it right now.
A good quote from Justin Harris “training is performance, physique is diet”
It’s not quite that simple but it’s not far off either.
If you focus on getting stronger and recovery then the calories from the diet will make you grow.
What I’d recommend is a 3-4 day powerlifting program.
I honestly think you’d grow more from doing less.

TomJ

"Elite" 😏
Reaction score
Welcome,
For once it sounds like someone has done their due diligence and considered their decisions responsibly.
I dont see anything wrong with your plan, we have a lot of guys here that are either hobbyists in combat sports or actual professional fighters. A sensible, moderate cycle or two wont have any negative impact on your combat sports.
You dont have to worry about getting bodybuilder huge, thats a tall order and doesnt happen by accident.

Just make sure you weigh your decision carefully and make your own decision if adding in PEDs for better aesthetics is the right option for you.

Reaction score
I found it I’m looking over it right now.
A good quote from Justin Harris “training is performance, physique is diet”
It’s not quite that simple but it’s not far off either.
If you focus on getting stronger and recovery then the calories from the diet will make you grow.
What I’d recommend is a 3-4 day powerlifting program.
I honestly think you’d grow more from doing less.
Yeah I think the absolute hardest part right now is because I'm "cutting" so being on a SLIGHT deficit, some days I wake up and can tell my CNS and body need a break so I just rest, and eat at maintenance. It's usually after a day where I lift in the afternoon and go to 2 hours of BJJ at night. I put cutting in quotes because it's been about 6-7 weeks of me focusing hard on my diet to get my % down. I am noticeably more lean, but only went from 186 down to 182, slow I know, but really don't want to lose any muscle.

I know you're right and I've seen you say multiple times your body doesn't grow in the gym it grows when you rest. And I completely agree with that. I'll look into a 3-4 day powerlifting program today. I think it just gets me worried that I won't be doing enough volume on the workout days to grow. But I'm wrong a lot and thats the whole reason I'm here.

At the end of the day I want a jacked-ish physique with thor arms, solid abs and maintain my cardio for the sport. Sorry this reply was longer than it needed to be lol

Reaction score
If your main focus is aesthetics, that will (i assume) take away form the combat sports to some degree.
Yeah I kinda figured as much. Which I am ok with. It is mainly something I like to do in place of actual cardio, as well as the self defense aspect and I mean of course if anyone here has done it they know how addicting the chess match aspect of it is.
other than that, I'm glad you're doing your homework. Start up a log start tracking your progress!
Thanks man! I mean the idea of messing with your hormones sounds like something that should be taken pretty seriously lol. I'll look into the log thing

RiR0

Sage of Swole
Reaction score
Yeah I think the absolute hardest part right now is because I'm "cutting" so being on a SLIGHT deficit, some days I wake up and can tell my CNS and body need a break so I just rest, and eat at maintenance. It's usually after a day where I lift in the afternoon and go to 2 hours of BJJ at night. I put cutting in quotes because it's been about 6-7 weeks of me focusing hard on my diet to get my % down. I am noticeably more lean, but only went from 186 down to 182, slow I know, but really don't want to lose any muscle.

I know you're right and I've seen you say multiple times your body doesn't grow in the gym it grows when you rest. And I completely agree with that. I'll look into a 3-4 day powerlifting program today. I think it just gets me worried that I won't be doing enough volume on the workout days to grow. But I'm wrong a lot and thats the whole reason I'm here.

At the end of the day I want a jacked-ish physique with thor arms, solid abs and maintain my cardio for the sport. Sorry this reply was longer than it needed to be lol
Volume is not the driver of growth. Mechanical tension is. Volume is simply there to make up for lack of effort in order to get effective reps.
A stronger muscle has the potential to become a bigger muscle.
Focus should be on adding weight or reps or improving technique each week and recovery.
Most of what I’ve done is 3-4 days a week low volume.

Reaction score
Volume is not the driver of growth. Mechanical tension is. Volume is simply there to make up for lack of effort in order to get effective reps.
A stronger muscle has the potential to become a bigger muscle.
Focus should be on adding weight or reps or improving technique each week and recovery.
Most of what I’ve done is 3-4 days a week low volume.
Ok awesome I'll start looking around for some programs. I'm sure you just make your own programming, but curious if you have any places I could start looking to get myself down the rabbit hole of that type of programming?

And lastly, do you think the cardio from the combat sport plays a role in this? As in, could it be too much cardio to be training for those 3x a week and hinder muscle growth?

RiR0

Sage of Swole
Reaction score
🤔 I think that comes down to eating enough calories and protein.
As far as routines go I saw one posted here I really liked it was grey skull linear progression routine.

Reaction score
Dude awesome thank you! So this really comes down to what you said which is really hammering these lifts with weight.

I'll finish up the last week of nippards and then deload and then I'll tackle this. Maybe when I jump on the cycle is when I'll switch over. (good idea or bad?)

Planning on just running 300-500 test C per week. Was thinking of starting at 300 and slowly increasing making sure I don't hit any sides as I go up. Or do I just run 400 the whole way and see what my blood says at 4-5 weeks? (Going to be getting bloods done at 4-5 weeks regardless). Leaning towards HCG during the cycle too. (anyone else feel free to chime in on this please). I'll probably go just above maintenance maybe 250 calories?

New Threads