push pull legs workout, could use an advice

Reaction score
hey lads, this is going to be a bit of a long one so i apologize in advance and hope youd stick with me.

ive been using this program for a while now and i was wondering if i should switch things up a bit, its a push pul legs split but only 1 workout plan for each day meaning iam doing push pull leg and then repeating the same program in the second half of the week, is that good ? or i should be doing different push pull legs days. also is the volume enough? too much or to little. i will briefly post my workout, 1.30/2 minutes rest. for gaining mass.

push :
bench press 3x6
incline dumbbell press 3x8
incline cable flyes 4x12/15
shoulder press 3x10
shoulder cable raise 3x12
behind the back tricep extensions 3x8
cable pressdown 3x10
pull
weighted pull ups 3x8
seated rows 3x10
lat pulldown 3x10
straight arm cable pulldown (low weight just to help strech the back a bit ) 3x15
straight bar bicep curl 3x8
spider curl 3x10
seated incline dumbbell curls 3x12
Legs
squat 4x8
romanian deadlift 3x10
hip thrust 3x10
machine quad extentions 3x12
machine hamstring curl 3x12
machine calf raises 3x8/12 (heavy weight)
machine calf raises 3x15/20(light weight)

please do not butcher me all that much about the program i am here to learn. what should i change/add? and a dumb question is this program suitable for females aswell to gain a bit of strength. thanks alot lads.

CJ

Mod Squad
Reaction score
Why do you want to switch it up?

Valdosta

Reaction score
I do PPL (when my knees allow L) and usually for push and pull I priorotize different things. Like my pull day, I have a deadlift focused one, a horizontal pulling one, and a vertical pulling one, because personally I can't deadlift heavy or row heavy every 3 days. Push day is either focused around bench, incline, weighted dips, or overhead press.

Reaction score
Why do you want to switch it up?
not necessarily switch it up, i just want to make sure this program is not overworking my muscles, and is it better to do have 2 different programs, like push a push b, i have already done the mistake of doing a workout that is blasted with too much volume and i want to make sure iam not repeating my errorrs. also a bit of validation is allways nice.

Reaction score
I do PPL (when my knees allow L) and usually for push and pull I priorotize different things. Like my pull day, I have a deadlift focused one, a horizontal pulling one, and a vertical pulling one, because personally I can't deadlift heavy or row heavy every 3 days. Push day is either focused around bench, incline, weighted dips, or overhead press.
so volume wise this program is good ? like, do you recommend having different push days to give a bit more rest and diversity ? like i got no problem doing bench twice a week, i dont feel pain and i go till failure, ive been progressing very slowly though(partly beacuse of food and stress) currently benching 215 for 6 stopped deadlifting for a week or two because lower back pain same for squats.

Valdosta

Reaction score
so volume wise this program is good ? like, do you recommend having different push days to give a bit more rest and diversity ? like i got no problem doing bench twice a week, i dont feel pain and i go till failure, ive been progressing very slowly though(partly beacuse of food and stress) currently benching 215 for 6 stopped deadlifting for a week or two because lower back pain same for squats.
Doesn't sound like u need to change it up. I had to start modifying mine because I would have days where I was lifting weaker than the previous day, so I had to stop hitting the same compound movements so frequently.

BrotherIron

Reaction score
I wouldn't perform RDL 2x a week. I would only pull 1x a week and really make sure you're rowing vertically and horizontally (2x a week). I'd put in GHR instead of machine curl and put walking lunges in in place of 1 calf raise.

I see some redundancy in your movements. Pull ups and then wide grip pulls down. Why not pull ups, then bent over rows, and you could perform a high row, and finish with the straight arm pulldowns. Also, why no conventional pulls and no sumo pulls? You could sub one in and later sub it out for the other.

CJ

Mod Squad
Reaction score
not necessarily switch it up, i just want to make sure this program is not overworking my muscles, and is it better to do have 2 different programs, like push a push b, i have already done the mistake of doing a workout that is blasted with too much volume and i want to make sure iam not repeating my errorrs. also a bit of validation is allways nice.
Volume is personal and situation dependent, but if you're still making progress with less than ideal food and stress levels, you're probably not doing too much. But you should hurry up and fix those problems before it does become an issue.

An A and a B day has pros and cons. Some pros are that you can avoid overuse injuries, and different muscle groups can benefit from a wider variety of exercises, like the back for example. A con could be doing a different exercise just for the sake of doing a different exercise, even though you don't connect well with it. It's usually better to stick to the exercises that really work for you, and not worry about doing too much variety.

But I definitely don't hate Brother Iron's suggestion of 2 different leg day. Maybe have 1 be more of the barbell strength lifts, based off of Squats and RDLs, and the other leg day be more machine and/or lunge based, to take some stress off the back. It could be something like Leg Press, Leg Curls, Leg Exts, Lunge Variation. Or it could be a Quad focus day with a little hammies at the end, and a Hammies/Glute day with a little quads at the end.

Out of curiosity, how many times per week do you train? Where do you put your rest days?

dirtys1x

Reaction score
My honest opinion, it’s suitable for a beginner. However, I think your days don’t have enough volume actually (except for your leg days). Especially for your back days and chest.

My recommendation down the line:
A different variation of PPL

Day 1: Push (go very very easy on triceps and skip shoulders or do light shoulder work)
Day 2: Pull (go very very easy on biceps)
Day 3: Legs
Day 4: shoulders/arms
Day 5: chest/back ancillary day
Day 6: optional (hams/glutes) -> only do this if you want more leg volume and are willing to only work quads on day 3.

This is probably more advanced and a lot of days on.

OldeBull1

Reaction score
Looks good. Could it use tweaks? Always. But start with a solid base (you have), and build from there.

I really like PPL. I do similar, but do Back and Chest, Legs, Arms and Shoulders. 6 of one, 1/2 dozen of another. I generally train 3 days a week, but can easily go 4 or 5 days if time permits.

I do like rotating my main lifts (heavy sets). For example, I rotate Bench, Incline, and Military presses. It might be 3 weeks before I see a lift again. I like this, keeps it fresher. And when I come back to a lift after not doing it for 2-3 weeks, I blast it away.

Keep it up.

Skullcrusher

Elite
Reaction score

Reaction score
hey lads, this is going to be a bit of a long one so i apologize in advance and hope youd stick with me.

ive been using this program for a while now and i was wondering if i should switch things up a bit, its a push pul legs split but only 1 workout plan for each day meaning iam doing push pull leg and then repeating the same program in the second half of the week, is that good ? or i should be doing different push pull legs days. also is the volume enough? too much or to little. i will briefly post my workout, 1.30/2 minutes rest. for gaining mass.

push :
bench press 3x6
incline dumbbell press 3x8
incline cable flyes 4x12/15
shoulder press 3x10
shoulder cable raise 3x12
behind the back tricep extensions 3x8
cable pressdown 3x10
pull
weighted pull ups 3x8
seated rows 3x10
lat pulldown 3x10
straight arm cable pulldown (low weight just to help strech the back a bit ) 3x15
straight bar bicep curl 3x8
spider curl 3x10
seated incline dumbbell curls 3x12
Legs
squat 4x8
romanian deadlift 3x10
hip thrust 3x10
machine quad extentions 3x12
machine hamstring curl 3x12
machine calf raises 3x8/12 (heavy weight)
machine calf raises 3x15/20(light weight)

please do not butcher me all that much about the program i am here to learn. what should i change/add? and a dumb question is this program suitable for females aswell to gain a bit of strength. thanks alot lads.
I liked the PPL split for ages, but tweaked it to suit recovery of different muscles eg, adding in calf sets on push and/or pull days because they seemed to respond better to frequency.
Recovery drove everything. Moved to a squat and non-squat leg day. Also, I avoided doing pull and then legs - usually went pull, push, rest, legs, rest, repeat.
Tried 6 days on 1 day rest but burnt out pretty quickly. ... you might be more robust, though.

Valdosta

Reaction score
I liked the PPL split for ages, but tweaked it to suit recovery of different muscles eg, adding in calf sets on push and/or pull days because they seemed to respond better to frequency.
Recovery drove everything. Moved to a squat and non-squat leg day. Also, I avoided doing pull and then legs - usually went pull, push, rest, legs, rest, repeat.
Tried 6 days on 1 day rest but burnt out pretty quickly. ... you might be more robust, though.
Tweaked mine for calves too. PPL's a 3 day cycle but instead of doing calves on leg day I do it ever other day, independant of the rotation. So they get worked every 2 days instead of 3

Reactions: CJ

New Threads