Smith Machine: Like or despise it

jennerrator

Fallen Member
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
lol......can't stand them but totally get when they are needed and help folks out!!!

Robdjents

Ski bum
Reaction score
I like it for behind the neck presses and calf raises...other than that I don't use it but it has its place in the gym for sure.

notsoswoleCPA

Reaction score
I use the smith at my gym for shrugs. Since one of my friends showed me how to use it for behind the back shrugs, I got hooked on doing them that way. My cousin, who is a strength and conditioning coach for a university, told me that he likes teaching their athletes to use the smith for bodyweight rows with their feet on a bench and setting the smith to allow for different angles to be used while rowing against the stationary bar.

I used to use the TRX suspension trainer for bodyweight rows, but that was while I was recovering from an injury two years ago.

Reaction score
Just like anything it has its proper uses i think. the issues start when people try to use them for compound lifts using the same form. For example my buddy is new to the gym and he tried squatting in a smith machine (which is fine if you know you need to put your feet more forward and treat it more like a leg press) like normal squats and hurt his back real good

Chillinlow

Reaction score
First major injury was on a smith machine yep ****ing dumb

Viduus

Elite
Reaction score
I’ve been using it to do single leg squats/lunges lately. No other way to do it with heavy weights and stay balanced.

bvs

Elite
Reaction score
My old gym had a smith machine that moved up and down (obviously) but also forward and back (but not sideways) its a far better design and has many more uses

BrotherJ

Elite
Reaction score
I've never used one personally, my only beef with them is they take up a bunch of space that would be better utilized with more benches or racks.

Gibsonator

Immovable Object
Reaction score
My old gym had a smith machine that moved up and down (obviously) but also forward and back (but not sideways) its a far better design and has many more uses

the ufc gym has one like that, pretty cool idea but i have yet to try it out

Reaction score
I usually hate the smith machines, but I did some Smith Machine rows after bb rows and the way I could target my back was insane. I think they are good for high rep burnout sets at the end of a workout personally.

mugzy

Administrator
Reaction score
I prefer a smith machine more as a get older. Inclines also produce a very good pump in a smith machine.

TomJ

"Elite" 😏
Reaction score
This is the only Smith machine I will tolerate. I actually really like using that style.

flenser

Elite
Reaction score
I usually hate the smith machines, but I did some Smith Machine rows after bb rows and the way I could target my back was insane. I think they are good for high rep burnout sets at the end of a workout personally.
I used to do these first, so I would be weaker on normal BB rows and be able to get a steeper angle with the lighter weight.

Rot-Iron66

Elite
Reaction score
I prefer a smith machine more as a get older. Inclines also produce a very good pump in a smith machine.
Im finding the same thing. Never was big on them, though they had their uses. Now w/ age and injury, i find myself using it more and enjoying it actually. BNP's, OHP's, Skull-Crushers, Floor-Press, close grip bench, shrugs, etc. I still mainly use barbells and dumbbells, but find myself using it more on certain things and on certain days. This last week I did a deload after months of hard/heavy progression. Was a nice change-up (using the Smith a bit more during this deload week)...

Send0

Taskmaster (Moderator)
Reaction score
Smith machines make my shoulders feel weird, always have. I avoid them since I already have enough shoulder problems 😢

The Phoenix

Elite
Reaction score
good for upright row and shrugs, that's the only use i get from it.

Seeker

Veteran
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
We have the newer Jones commercial machine that replaces the traditional Smith ( which i still refuse to use and don't have to because of the Jones machine) it travels not only up and down but forward and backwards allowing functions the basic Smith just can't perform. I used it and was happy with it.

BrotherIron

Reaction score
Not a fan as it doesn't move in my natural path. I would also prefer to really hit the stabilizers which don't get nearly as taxed when using a SM.

Diesel59

Elite
Reaction score
It's interesting how the attitude towards Smith machines has softened a bit over the years.

BRICKS

Veteran
Reaction score
It has it's place in the tool box just like everything else. I use mine for behind the back upright rows (not shrugs, upright rows). Great for traps/mid back. Try them sometime.