What is your favorite book and why?

Thrawn

Elite
Reaction score
Oh so many.
For clarification would a textbook count in this category? Would a single poem or a collection of poems qualify?
Are we separating fiction and nonfiction.
I'll go first this one's an easy one though

Mary Shelley Frankenstein
Mob mentality and passing off responsibility to other people in the mob but they're doing the same thing so everybody's just being a sheep. It would really take one or two voices a reason to shut that shit down.
Then my personal favorite is people tend to destroy what they don't understand instead of trying to understand it, incorporate, attempt to assimilate into society. how could this thing we don't understand help us, understand its purpose or what it can do, when we want this thing we don't understand gone. Could Dr Frankenstein and his monster ultimately give the villagers eternal life or extend it?

Sun Tzu art of war
Don't have to be a soldier or general to gain extremely valuable life, corporate, and business, and relationship strategies. The difficult part for some is Reading it literally and unable to adapt it or rethink the exact same thing he's saying but in modern context.

The Prince, nicolo makaveli
Can absolutely be applied in everyday settings. Some of it is quite brutal but as a society we have lost our I cannot think of the right word but we lost our ability to easily turn to violence or cruelty. Some people are like that most people aren't.

Thrawn
Because it was named after me.

Thrawn

Elite
Reaction score
I think this passed with out hijacking since both are author's. Shakespeare vs Dr. Seuss
@SFGiants

Rickt

Elite
Reaction score
Fiction Dean Koontz Bad Place
Non fiction (debatable) Arnold Schwarzenegger encyclopedia of training.
That's that. And that's it.
I found cat in the hat hard to follow. Green eggs and ham made me hungry for my wife's cooking.
First book I ever read by myself was mean max. My mother purchased it to help me with year two bullies. Said be brave and stand up for yourself. I did and that little girl punched me so hard I woke up a week later.
Think it was fiction.

Thrawn

Elite
Reaction score
Does looking at a picture book count?
I was tempted to go down a rabbit hole and find the nastiest book and claim I read it lol

Diesel59

Elite
Reaction score
The_Catcher_in_the_Rye_(1951,_first_edition_cover).jpg

I had to read this book for school in the 10th grade. Very few of my classmates liked it but it stuck with me for some reason.

I ordered a copy two years ago and read it again after many years. It still holds up as my favorite book. In some ways I enjoy it more now.

Thrawn

Elite
Reaction score
Between books and audio books I could list off a ton of free resources or extremely low cost if people are interested. Reason I specified both is because pretty sure all these resources do both. Okay a ton was inaccurate probably about 7 to 8 things. All free but one

Thrawn

Elite
Reaction score
May have to break this up
1a. go get a library card they are free. 1b. Some counties will allow neighboring counties free library membership as well investigate that.
1c. If you work in a different county that then you live most libraries let you get a free library card in that county as well.

2. Now you could download the app or go to the website Libby. Libby is a nationwide all digital book audiobook music movie resource that's free for library members.
If you happened to get multiple library cards put them all in it greatly increases your accessibility to material.
3. Most public libraries also partner with hoopla.com very similar to Libby movies books audiobooks all digital. You were given I forgot the amount things like 10 .
things you could check out a month through hoopla.
4. Scribed 13usd month. Access to books audio books, podcasts, documents user uploaded documents, documents that are damn well near impossible to find through search engines.
5. Can't do it right this second but I will list all the sites I have for free audiobooks. Just a precaution nothing is free so just make sure you have a pop-up and spam protector. I was tempted to research these sites to see who owns them because I have a feeling some of them are owned by Amazon and they'll give you two books out of a seven book series and then you're really going to want to read the other books

JeffGoldblumLips

Reaction score
Blood meridian was pretty great for a fiction read. For non-fiction I really enjoyed The Better Angels of Our Nature and Sapiens trilogy. All four of those I would read again.

I usually keep up with Malcolm Gladwell stuff as well. You can write it off as pop-sociology but it's reliably entertaining.

transcend2007

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I love Aubilbe ... Brian Tracy famously said "Listen to books in your car, turn your car into a mobile “learning machine.” ... he made the point by listen to audios you could get the equivalent of a college education just by spending driving time listening to educations material ...

Current favoirte books: OutLive: The Science and Art of Longevity by Peter Attia & High Performance Habits by Brendon Bruchard ...

Reaction score
Between books and audio books I could list off a ton of free resources or extremely low cost if people are interested. Reason I specified both is because pretty sure all these resources do both. Okay a ton was inaccurate probably about 7 to 8 things. All free but one
Title is "Favorite Book". Singular. One.

Lol, you get into this!!!!

dk8594

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I am a big fan of his. I was fortunate enough to go through the Start With Why training that his organization does. It was hard to capture the essence of this book in a 6 hour class, but it was perspective changing to say the least.

Leaders Eat Less is also a great book that belongs on every leader’s book shelf.

Thrawn

Elite
Reaction score
Title is "Favorite Book". Singular. One.

Lol, you get into this!!!!
I seriously googled the title and author, I thought I must have done something wrong, went back to check and Make sure I didn't copy and paste the wrong thing and then it clicks.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2023-09-19-14-38-26-82_3aea4af51f236e4932235fdada7d1643.jpg
    Screenshot_2023-09-19-14-38-26-82_3aea4af51f236e4932235fdada7d1643.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 1

OldeBull1

Reaction score
1984 George Orwell. Life imitates fiction.

The Parker series, by Richard Stark. 60's crime noir. He paints a bleak world, and wastes little words describing it.

New Threads