Why would someone bulk using 99% lean turkey?

Reaction score
You misread what I said. I said fats can only be stored as fats; where as proteins and carbs have other mechanisms to allow them to be utilized before being stored as fat. Excess anything can be stored as fat. For protein and carbs there are steps and conversions that have to take place to get stored as fat... where as dietary fat needs no steps or conversions... because it's already fat.

Protein can be stored as muscle. It can also be used as a fuel source by going through gluconeogenesis to convert it to glucose, which can then either be used as energy, stored in the liver, or if the liver is full then it will convert to triglycerides and be stored as fat either in the muscle or in adipose tissue. This conversion process is actually inefficient from a fuel source perspective. Because of this, and things like thermogenic effects from protein, its actually pretty hard to eat so much protein that you get fat

Carbs can be directly be broken down into glycogen for energy and will be stored in either the muscle or liver. Once there is no more "storage space" for glycogen, the liver will convert some glycogen into triglycerides which will then be stored as fat.

Fat is already fat. It doesn't need to convert to anything to be stored as fat when in a caloric surplus.
My attempt at summarizing your response, hopefully I got it right:
If you're bulking and eating an excess of calories but only eating the bare minimum of fat macros, then you're more likely to have the extra weight be put on as muscle or used in a different way before being stored as fat, whereas with higher fat macros it's more likely to just get stored and make you look chubbier until your body needs to burn that fat which might be hard on a bulk.

My follow-up thoughts:
When bulking, since fat takes the longest to digest of the 3 macros, if you already got your necessary calories for maintaining your weight for the day and then eat a dinner/late snack higher in fat then the excess fat macros would just get stored as fat onto your body. Seems like a good idea to have most of your fats in the morning and less later in the day to prevent that from happening? Is this logical

Oakley6575

Reaction score
My follow-up thoughts:
When bulking, since fat takes the longest to digest of the 3 macros, if you already got your necessary calories for maintaining your weight for the day and then eat a dinner/late snack higher in fat then the excess fat macros would just get stored as fat onto your body. Seems like a good idea to have most of your fats in the morning and less later in the day to prevent that from happening? Is this logical
Fat only gets stored as fat. All the fat you ate during your maintenance meals, got stored as fat. You just ate the proper amount of calories for the day to burn that fat so you didn't store any fat over what you already had.

With your late night snack meal, the only way for the excess calories to not be stored as fat would be to eat an excess of protein or carbs during that meal. Fats would go strait to fat storage. The only way for the protein or carbs to not be stored as fat is if you where depleted in glycogen stores. Then those would fill up before getting stored as fat.

Oakley6575

Reaction score
For bodybuilding, why would anyone eat more fat than what is essential? Our bodies only need a very small amount of EFA's. So why not keep your fat low, and eat more protein and carbs?

Your influencer is doing it right imo.

CJ

Mod Squad
Reaction score
My attempt at summarizing your response, hopefully I got it right:
If you're bulking and eating an excess of calories but only eating the bare minimum of fat macros, then you're more likely to have the extra weight be put on as muscle or used in a different way before being stored as fat, whereas with higher fat macros it's more likely to just get stored and make you look chubbier until your body needs to burn that fat which might be hard on a bulk.

My follow-up thoughts:
Fat only gets stored as fat. All the fat you ate during your maintenance meals, got stored as fat. You just ate the proper amount of calories for the day to burn that fat so you didn't store any fat over what you already had.

With your late night snack meal, the only way for the excess calories to not be stored as fat would be to eat an excess of protein or carbs during that meal. Fats would go strait to fat storage. The only way for the protein or carbs to not be stored as fat is if you where depleted in glycogen stores. Then those would fill up before getting stored as fat.

You guys are forgetting that you burn calories overnight while you're sleeping. Your body's energy demands don't just stop when you turn the bedroom lights off

Reaction score
An influencer I follow says that he eats 99% lean turkey, rice, everything else seemed pretty normal. He said he eats the same thing whether he's maintaining or bulking, just in a higher quantity. I asked if he was on gear, he said no.

I thought the only reason people eat low fat was because either
1. they are trying to keep calories low to stay lean while still getting protein requirements
2. they are on gear and higher fat diets are less optimal, though I forget the scientific reason

If he wanted to keep his abs while bulking, wouldn't it be possible by eating higher fat meats just in slightly lower quantity? He seems like he'd be 200lbs so if he's bulking he'd have to be eating 4lbs of turkey a day?

Based on his pic, it's working for him so I don't know what I'm missing here.
Influencers do all kinds of things and make suggestions that simply don't work for other people.

They are good to try maybe a few ideas but certainly everything they preach and try to make money off of is not gospel. Same can be said for so called influencers right here.

Yeah there could be myriad of reasons why this broseph goes for lean turkey on a bulk. It doesn't mean you need to do it or that it would benefit you on a bulk.

Oakley6575

Reaction score
You guys are forgetting that you burn calories overnight while you're sleeping. Your body's energy demands don't just stop when you turn the bedroom lights off
No, I'm not at all. Maintenance calories don't mean from 8am-5pm. :ROFLMAO:

BigChief1

Reaction score
Ground Turkey sux! I would rather eat ground up alley cat. Between the texture and taste it’s effin horrible. I could understand if the stuff was dirt cheap. But it ain’t.

lfod14

Reaction score
Still no shortage of people that believe the completely debunked 90's nonsense of fat making you fat. Even stupider if you're natty since it fucks up your hormone.

Reaction score
Exactly this. When I was eating higher fats it was much much harder to stick to the meal frequency I do now (6 meals a day)

On lower fats, despite having higher food volume, I'm good for the next meal 2 hours or so later
How many lbs of lean meat do you eat in a day?

TomJ

"Elite" 😏
Reaction score
How many lbs of lean meat do you eat in a day?
Meal 1
16oz egg whites

Meal 2
8oz chicken

Meal 3
97/3 or 93/7 beef

Meal 4
8oz chicken

Meal 5
8oz chicken

Meal 6
16oz egg whites

These stay mostly unchanged whether I'm on a bulk or a cut or a show prep. Sometimes meal 5 or 6 might get subbed for whey, but that's not the norm.
When adjusting calories we pretty much only change fat and carbs for each meal.
We only play with the protein if we are trying to give my GI a break, but generally speaking digestion remains good most of the time and if we need a break, it's generally only for a week or two

Reader591

Reaction score
Exactly this. When I was eating higher fats it was much much harder to stick to the meal frequency I do now (6 meals a day)

On lower fats, despite having higher food volume, I'm good for the next meal 2 hours or so later
This here IS the reason I eat higher fat to lose fat, and drop fats down when bulking.

Otherwise I’m always hungry in a cut and over eat.

I sometimes carb cycle some for performances sake, in a cut. But even in a bulk, my carbs are lower compared to most here. 200-300 grams a day.

In a cut if I’m not carb cycling I normally Hoover around 100 grams a day.

And to be fair here, I’ve never cut down to very low body fat either. Just enough for my abs to show decently. But they show somewhat even in a bull too.

Reaction score
People with stomach issues who can't handle very many fats can bulk just fine with 99/1 turkey

Eat it by the pound, and load up on carbs.

New Threads