I hate chest day

Roxie000

Lady Member
Reaction score
Especially bench press . I never get it right and can barely do any weight . I watched videos and tried to do the same . I arched my back so much that it hurt afterwards . For me what works is the bands but I heard bench press is very important & has to be done .

who else has this problem ?

Uncle manny

Elite
Reaction score
I’d say every movement is important. However for women its ok if your bench sucks just keep practicing. Move your main focus to overhead pressing, better for women.

Seeker

Veteran
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
It is only important if you're a competitive powerlifter. Other than that, it is not necessary for building quality muscle. Though I do feel one should apply it occasionally.

CJ

Mod Squad
Reaction score
Play around with the angle of the bench.

Many find a slight incline to feel much better.

lfod14

Reaction score
Especially bench press . I never get it right and can barely do any weight . I watched videos and tried to do the same . I arched my back so much that it hurt afterwards . For me what works is the bands but I heard bench press is very important & has to be done .

who else has this problem ?

Your focus should always be the things you suck at the most! Bench the bar, how much are you benching now and what's your bodyweight? Nothing "has" to be done, but it's a great exercise and should be.

Give this a look, If you're not familiar with Jeff he's a strength coach to pro athletes and some celebs and he's also an actual physical therapist. Working out with pain and correction is his thing. Some people love him, some hate him. I'm a fan

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vthMCtgVtFw&pbjreload=101

The official Bench Press Check List

HollyWoodCole

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Switch things up, try out DB press, incline, decline, etc.

creekrat

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Try doing chest on the same day as another muscle group you enjoy and alternate. Just remember that less weight with good form is always better than more weight with crappy form

Gabriel

Reaction score
No one is good at everything..perfect practice makes perfection..dig those heels in and find your groove..

Sicwun88

Reaction score
Flat bench does nothing for me, I can prolly bench more on the incline than flat?
Try doing some dumbbell movements?
I also like and benefit doing pullovers!

xyokoma

Elite Lady Member
Reaction score
Dont arch much at all. Its only good if youre a competitive powerlifter plus we already have bewbs so the bar doesnt go down as much anyway.
Main tips i can give you from competing at bench press:
1. Feet fully on floor, behind your knees.
2. You only want a slight arch for what youre trying to achieve. You might find it easier to grab the bar first and then pull your ass back and youll arch very comfortably and wont overdo it. Just dont forget to lock in the feet on the floor.
3. Check the bar is positioned at your eye level - as in paralel to the iris.
4. Dont position the hands too far out - the bar has grooves as a hint but if youre petite/slim shoulders thats way too far in between and will result in failure to control the bar and lift the weight.
5. Start with the bar as your weight only. Thats already 20kg youre not used to. Stick at that for a couple weeks and try progress into adding 1.25 or 2.5kg plates.
6. Slowly move the bar down towards your chest, the lower 1/3rd of it. Placing it under or over the chest will result in poor angle, lost emphasis on the chest and will seem harder to lift the bar back up. You also dont want to lower the bar to the highest point of your bewbs as that will result in poor ROM.
6. If your chest is very weak also incorporate chest exercises to perform before the lift. Peck deck fly, also in backward position is a great starting point.

Feel free to correct me on any of the points, this is only what Ive learned whilst training for the federation and still use to this day to bench.

Overall bench press isnt necessary and can be substituted for a female but is a great fun.

BRICKS

Veteran
Reaction score
As stated in some of the posts above, you don't need to barbell bench to develop your chest. Try dumbells and other chest exercises.

JackDMegalomaniac

Reaction score
I personally prefer dumbbell presses, its alot easier of a motion for me. And it also prevents imbalances and creates tertiary stability muscles, which is good for beginners.

Heres a thread I found useful on bench press form (I cant post links, but just use search tool) search More-bench-talk

And in addition to a comment above. For grip on a barbell just relax your arms to your sides. Then stick your thumbs straight out horizontally and touch your thighs, to hen thats your bench grip.

BrotherIron

Reaction score
I would say many don't bench correctly. There is nothing wrong with arching. Look at your spine. Does it contain an arch? It better or you have some serious issues to address. I think to many try to over arch or create a crazy arch which is not needed.

As for foot position, you should use your legs to create rigidity throughout and drive your traps into the bench pad. You can have them out in front or under you. I personally keep them somewhere in between.

Hand placement is very individual. My shoulder is f'd up so I use what many would consider a close grip.

Try to break the bar as you lower it. Remember benching works your lats, shoulders, triceps, chest, and other muscle groups. You don't want your elbows flared out or you'll put a lot of pressure on the labrum and can cause injury (common with BBers). As you come off the chest it's lats first and then shoulders, tri's, etc. This is why so you don't see any solid bencher with a tiny back. You also don't see benchers with tiny triceps especially if they aren't wide grip benchers.

To develop your chest you should use many different pressing variations like others have said and don't forget to perform flys. You can use cable, DB, or even chains (which is always fun).

Dnewell2004

Reaction score
I've seen with my wife and daughter it just takes time. I was told feet on the floor, ass on the bench , pinch shoulder blades and don't flare elbows out too early

New Threads