Pain in lower abdomen when squattiing

Reaction score
Hii! Recently I started squatting in a low bar position, and I started feeling a sharp pain in my lower right abdomen. This only happens when lifting myself from the bottom position, and it stops as soon as I'm half-way up. And only in the last few reps.

Has anyone experienced this pain? What kind of doctor should I see about this issue?

Here is an image of the location of the area that hurts (in yellow):

Thanks!

permabulker

Elite
Reaction score
Iv had the same in my left side from deadlifts and I’m thinking it could be a hernia too. Stopped deadlifting for awhile because of it. And the pain has definitely subsided... I squat too and I don’t feel it then.

PZT

Elite
Reaction score
I have felt this before but usually fixed by stretching out the areas around it. Mind you I sit at a desk all day every day with horrible posture.

sfw509

Reaction score
It could be as simple as an imbalance or related to form. If rest and stretching does not make it go away it could be a hernia or tear as others stated. Is the area of the pain swollen, bruised, warm, spasming? I would see your doctor or get a refer to an orthopedist.

Send0

Taskmaster (Moderator)
Reaction score
I get this pain when my hamstrings/hip flexors/groin is tight. I do wall squats, inch worms, and several hip opener stretches, and it generally feels much better.

I also seem to have a bad mind muscle connection with my left leg. For some reason my right leg always fires first in the squat or deadlift, and it places extra load on that side of my body. It also results in some hip rotation that can exaggerate things. If I focus on firing my left leg first, then both of my legs fire at the same time, and I feel better throughout the entire motion.

Not saying what I described to you. Only relaying my issues that create pain in the general area identified in the original post.

sfw509

Reaction score
Also, not sure what other movements your doing but it may be worth doing a few light sets on the abductor an adductor machines if you have access to them. About 6-7 years ago I was getting a pain in the outside of my right hip and feeling unstable. Once I incorporated these movements on a weekly basis I began to feel better and about two months late it was gone. Still do them to this day.

Send0

Taskmaster (Moderator)
Reaction score
Also, not sure what other movements your doing but it may be worth doing a few light sets on the abductor an adductor machines if you have access to them. About 6-7 years ago I was getting a pain in the outside of my right hip and feeling unstable. Once I incorporated these movements on a weekly basis I began to feel better and about two months late it was gone. Still do them to this day.

This is a good point.. similarly, on my last leg day I didn't feel like doing my stretches. So instead I did 100 squats with just the barbell on my back, with about a 3-4 count on the downward motion. During the first 20 I felt pain/discomfort in all the usual places, then from rep 21 - 50 I felt no abdominal stress but I could still feel some pinching in the hip flexors, then from rep 51 to 100 I felt great and was pretty loose the rest of the workout.

I then took a 5 minute break, and my squats and other hinge movements felt great throughout my lifts.

sfw509

Reaction score
Yeah. I know from time to time we don't always warm up properly. But There is something to be said to getting things moving and stretched. I do face pulls to start literally every upper body workout. If I don't my left elbow and shoulder sound like a bag of microwave popcorn.

HollyWoodCole

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
For me this was caused by a belt, I ended up training to not use one unless necessary. Improved how I felt dramatically.

Reaction score
It sounds like an inguinal hernia. I've been training with mine for about 5 years. It doesn't hurt all the time.
If it starts extending beyond the abdominal wall you need to have surgery. Keep an eye on it.

New Threads