Hello

Reaction score
Hello,

First, I would like to say how excited I am to finally be apart of this forum. I’ve been doing some reading here for some time now and felt it’s time to officially join the community. Sorry In advance if I butcher my introduction.

I’m 22 years old, 5’11 , and 164 pounds. I have been weight training for a total of about 5 years. For the most part it’s inconsistent but for the last year I’ve been constantly training 6 days a week. Prior to this I was 145 pounds. I’ve never attempted trying to bulk up. My goal was really just to be a better , stronger , healthier version of my current self. So I’ve focused only on eating a clean diet with good sources of protein and lifting weights.

I will attach some before after pics of the last year but by no means are they the best.

My current program for the last 22 weeks has been
M chest back
T bis tris
W Legs
Thur chest tris
Fri shoulders back
Sat legs
Sun rest

My current PRs @ 164 pds
Bench 245
Deadlift 405
Squat N/A ( I don’t barbell squat)

I feel that even without a lot of rest I’ve made A lot of progress with this current program. I’m really still just experimenting and plan to continue to switch things up.

Im starting to think a bulk may be necessary to go up in my lifts. I also really struggle to put size onto my legs even though my strength continues to go up. Maybe it’s just all in my head lol.

In conclusion I’m well aware of how much more there is for me to learn. I’m obsessed with how technical this sport is, I really feel like I learn something new everyday I read the forum or step into the gym. I’m really looking forward to what the future holds.

Humbly,
TedBanger

Attachments

• A67652B9-2635-4BC9-A8C4-BC8C2A5CA633.png
    A67652B9-2635-4BC9-A8C4-BC8C2A5CA633.png
    267.7 KB · Views: 36
  • E64AE8A5-4CE5-4EC8-88D0-667A4A01E169.png
    E64AE8A5-4CE5-4EC8-88D0-667A4A01E169.png
    280.3 KB · Views: 36

DLTBB

Deltasaurus Rex
Reaction score
Welcome.

The gains look to have been quite lean so far. You probably could've gained more if you did put full focus into a proper surplus but you've put a decent amount of muscle on regardless and I can't give you a hard time for trying to be a better/fitter/healthier version of yourself as not everybody is gunning for as much muscle tissue gained as possible over any given period.

The layout of the split is a funny one, I wouldn't want to hit biceps/triceps immediately after back/chest personally. What kind of volume/rep range are you hitting during the sessions?

Yeah a conscious effort to hit a surplus should definitely help you continue to gain strength etc.

If you want to learn, stick around as there are a lot of experienced guys on here who will be happy to help if you're willing to listen and apply.

CJ

Mod Squad
Reaction score
Welcome to the Underground bud!!!

Great progress so far, it looks like food and maybe dropping down to 5 days of training, and tightening the workouts/split up, would be what will move the needle for you.

Are you tracking your nutrition, or just winging it?

Reaction score
Welcome.

The gains look to have been quite lean so far. You probably could've gained more if you did put full focus into a proper surplus but you've put a decent amount of muscle on regardless and I can't give you a hard time for trying to be a better/fitter/healthier version of yourself as not everybody is gunning for as much muscle tissue gained as possible over any given period.

The layout of the split is a funny one, I wouldn't want to hit biceps/triceps immediately after back/chest personally. What kind of volume/rep range are you hitting during the sessions?

Yeah a conscious effort to hit a surplus should definitely help you continue to gain strength etc.

If you want to learn, stick around as there are a lot of experienced guys on here who will be happy to help if you're willing to listen and apply
For bench and deadlift I stick to a 4-6 rep range for my working sets. All other exercises I stick to 8-12 reps.

Also I agree with my split being kind of odd. My main concern was just being able to hit all muscle groups twice a week. I’m currently taking a recovery period and then going to switch my training schedule around and add a surplus to my entire diet.

DLTBB

Deltasaurus Rex
Reaction score
For bench and deadlift I stick to a 4-6 rep range for my working sets. All other exercises I stick to 8-12 reps.

Also I agree with my split being kind of odd. My main concern was just being able to hit all muscle groups twice a week. I’m currently taking a recovery period and then going to switch my training schedule around and add a surplus to my entire diet.
I usually run a push, pull, legs split which allows me to hit everything comfortably twice a week. Even upper, lower two times for a total of 4 sessions would be fine. Can imagine it’s quite difficult to get very effective sets out during the arm workout after having hit chest and back the day before. Maybe it works for you, there’s more than one way to skin a cat.

Reaction score
Welcome to the Underground bud!!!

Great progress so far, it looks like food and maybe dropping down to 5 days of training, and tightening the workouts/split up, would be what will move the needle for you.

Are you tracking your nutrition, or just winging it?
Other than tracking my protein intake I’ve just been winging it. I don’t take any supplemented protein, I just stick to what I consider to be healthy sources of protein.

Following this after I finish a brief rest period I plan on tracking all nutrition and put on another 5-6 pounds. I’m not sure how much weight gain is necessary for strength so I want to take it slow.

My long term strength goal is to get a 315 bench.

eazy

Elite
Reaction score
Welcome to the UG.

You're starting from a great spot.

RiR0

Sage of Swole
Reaction score
The size will come with the calories and the strength.
Your lack of rest is hampering your growth.
Post your routine in detail.

lfod14

Reaction score
Welcome man, and good introduction. Given that you're clearly prone to staying on the lean side (not a bad thing) make sure you're tracking your intake, I like Cronometer, there's a ton of them though. For you (and realistically everybody) diet being 100% on key is required. Also, never underestimate quality sleep!

Prioritize protein, make sure you get it in consistently, ideally from food, but supplement in what you don't get in from food. Figure out what your TDEE really is, and play with your surplus until you start adding on lean mass. "Bulking" is what we used to do in the 90's, it was never the right way, it was us rationalizing eating like shitheads for weeks on end convincing ourselves that added as much fat as muscle was necessary, it's not. Bodyfat doesn't equal muscle, never has, never will. But you do need a caloric surplus, so get it from the right shit, in the right amount and you'll be good.

Many disagree with paid programs, I've had the best results from some of the programs I've purchased, like night and day. Even though I've been lifting for around 25yrs, I just suck at programming. I know what I need to work, how to work them, but my programs were never as good as ones written by pro's. Only free thing everybody can do which I'm still very much a fan of is Stronglifts 5x5. I think that's a great one for people getting into everything. I'd suggest phased and periodized workouts either way.

solitude914

Reaction score
Hello,

First, I would like to say how excited I am to finally be apart of this forum. I’ve been doing some reading here for some time now and felt it’s time to officially join the community. Sorry In advance if I butcher my introduction.

I’m 22 years old, 5’11 , and 164 pounds. I have been weight training for a total of about 5 years. For the most part it’s inconsistent but for the last year I’ve been constantly training 6 days a week. Prior to this I was 145 pounds. I’ve never attempted trying to bulk up. My goal was really just to be a better , stronger , healthier version of my current self. So I’ve focused only on eating a clean diet with good sources of protein and lifting weights.

I will attach some before after pics of the last year but by no means are they the best.

My current program for the last 22 weeks has been
M chest back
T bis tris
W Legs
Thur chest tris
Fri shoulders back
Sat legs
Sun rest

My current PRs @ 164 pds
Bench 245
Deadlift 405
Squat N/A ( I don’t barbell squat)

I feel that even without a lot of rest I’ve made A lot of progress with this current program. I’m really still just experimenting and plan to continue to switch things up.

Im starting to think a bulk may be necessary to go up in my lifts. I also really struggle to put size onto my legs even though my strength continues to go up. Maybe it’s just all in my head lol.

In conclusion I’m well aware of how much more there is for me to learn. I’m obsessed with how technical this sport is, I really feel like I learn something new everyday I read the forum or step into the gym. I’m really looking forward to what the future holds.

Humbly,
TedBanger
Welcome to the UG!

New Threads