How do you improve sleep?

Reader591

Reaction score
.. Dang 96% sleep efficiency ... I am proably more like 40% ... has your sleep efficiency score improved over use and have you learned what things do and do not impact your sleep that you listed above to improve all the way to 96% ... ?
100%. Of course it isn’t always that good. But I at least know why and know it’s my fault. It sometimes nice to have numbers to go along with how you fell though. That’s what I like the ring for. I use what it says ALONG with how I feel to determine effectiveness of what I’m doing. Even if I’m over training. I’ll ignore it telling me before I feel it, because I don’t feel it yet. Then boom there it is.

Even after a deload week, you see that my recovery is still weak. So I’ll still take it a little easier this week. I’ve been ignoring a declining recovery index for a few weeks. Then I started getting stiff, etc. even so I hit a squat PR at the end of last week, but it was the only hard thing I did workout wise last week.

Then my recovery index tanked again lol.

Reader591

Reaction score
Here’s an example of a few drinks and staying up late with friends does for my sleep. This was a few weeks ago.

Talking about 6 drinks over the course of a few hours and staying up a few hours later than normal. You can see my heart rate was way up and so was body temp. I had very little rem sleep and even though I was in bed 8+ hours, by the morning I was in and out of a snooze because of a bird by my window.

IMG_4066.jpegIMG_4067.jpegIMG_4068.jpeg

Send0

Taskmaster (Moderator)
Reaction score
Dang Bro .. that is some great info right there ... thank you for taking the time to respond and updating us about that you effectly use the Oura ring ... I will be getting one very ssoon ... and the @Send0 cooling sheet device .. that thing sounds like the bomb.com ... I dont know about cooling a room to 55 degrees .. that is cold - mister - LOL .. but cooling sheets - removing excess humidity that seems more sensible ...
yep, you really don't need the room to be that cold. You also don't need the fan speed to be very high... matter of fact if the temp is too low or the fan speed is too high then I'll wake up from being freezing.

I recommend it if anyone sleeps hot, or if their sheets/blanket has a tendency to trap humidity.

I bought two on eBay for $120 each ($240 total), because I wasn't sure if I'd actually like it and didn't want to commit full price. The sheet I did have to buy separately, but that was $90.

the company is great too. I emailed them because I needed a part they didn't show on their website. They replied back and shipped me the parts for free, even though they knew I didn't buy the bed jet from them. They made me a customer for life when they did that.

transcend2007

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Great info ... crazy how much it changes based a activity (or things we all control) ... does it run combined weekly or monthly reports to show you combined data over time ... which could also be done in a simple spreadsheet .. but the amount of data collected is impressive ... and how you've found way to implement it in a way that actually improves your live is awesome ...

Send0

Taskmaster (Moderator)
Reaction score
yep, you really don't need the room to be that cold. You also don't need the fan speed to be very high... matter of fact if the temp is too low or the fan speed is too high then I'll wake up from being freezing.

I recommend it if anyone sleeps hot, or if their sheets/blanket has a tendency to trap humidity.

I bought two on eBay for $120 each ($240 total), because I wasn't sure if I'd actually like it and didn't want to commit full price. The sheet I did have to buy separately, but that was $90.

the company is great too. I emailed them because I needed a part they didn't show on their website. They replied back and shipped me the parts for free, even though they knew I didn't buy the bed jet from them. They made me a customer for life when they did that.
I should add that it works great in the winter to warm up your bed and get it toasty before you lay down for the night.

transcend2007

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score

My wife and I were just talking about the bed jet this morning and will be purchasing this weekend ... thanks for the info and endorsement of it .. I am sure others will as well ...

BRICKS

Veteran
Reaction score
Very interesting ... how do you know you are getting REM is every sleep cycle .. are you using Oura or other sleep tracker ... ?

I have not idea about my sleep cycles .. other that I also wake up 4 to 5 days per night ... but I'm interested in what others are doing to improve their sleep ..
Because I'm dreaming bro. I vividly dream every sleep cycle.

transcend2007

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Because I'm dreaming bro. I vividly dream every sleep cycle.
I no longer remember most of my dreams like did when I was younger ... that's an interesting sleep hack ...

DLTBB

Deltasaurus Rex
Reaction score
Going to test a Breathe Right strip tonight as I've been waking up with an awfully dry mouth so assuming I'm doing too much mouth breathing while I sleep. Put one on before and felt like I could breathe through my nose way better right away. Will report back.

BRICKS

Veteran
Reaction score
I no longer remember most of my dreams like did when I was younger ... that's an interesting sleep hack ...
I remember all of them upon waking, cause my sleep cycle is such that I wake up for the piss/shake out the carpal tunnel/reset the fkn cyclone that's my CPAP drill at the end of a dream. That or that's what ended the dream. No way to know if I had other dreams during that 1.5-3 hour run, but that last one I remember....for about 3 minutes till I'm back in bed. Sometimes I'll remember a dream for a few days but eventually those go away. Except for the recurring theme shit. Work dreams absolutely suck. I've talked to other anesthesia providers and not a single one has every had a good dream about work.
I have my sleep pretty well dialed in to where I can wake up and I know the time of night within a few minutes.

Gibsonator

Immovable Object
Reaction score
I know I'm as old as fuck and can no longer sleep like a baby ... but I really struggle sleeping 7 or 8 straight ...

I've been researching it some and have learned that Ambien and other sleep meds are a bad idea ... and even though alcohol makes you fall asleep faster it actually reduces sleep quality ...

Do any of you own an Oura ring ... it apparently records sleep and reports on the quality of sleep ...

Also I've read about mattress cooling devices as well as other sleep improving technology ...

Have you found anything that has improved your sleep quality ... ?
Cpap and 2 bong tokes

transcend2007

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Cpap and 2 bong tokes
Whatever works for you (I know more people in gen pop smoke weed than exercise and it should stand to reason many who do workout also consum it - I quit smoking cigs 20 years ago and there no no to any smoking for me) ... most say they sleep like babies with their CPAP's ....

New Threads