New Coach - venting, feedback, am I just crazy?

RiR0

Sage of Swole
Reaction score
I would say buy Scott Stevensons book and just do it yourself.
I dont get people paying for coaches (unless at a high-level) but thats just me. ** shrug **.
Have you ever worked with a coach or even gotten in stage condition to make this statement?

RiR0

Sage of Swole
Reaction score
This is a good book, I recommend it also.
It’s an amazing resource and I think it’s something everyone should buy.
There’s still a lot to be learned from a good coach.

Reaction score
I would say buy Scott Stevensons book and just do it yourself.
I dont get people paying for coaches (unless at a high-level) but thats just me. ** shrug **.

Thanks for the book rec. I'll check it out. I appreciate a coach to keep me accountable and focused but more importantly learning the trade knowledge. Things like little tweaks you can do to your lifts to stimulate the muscle more, or seeing movements I can improve on, or me saying "I'm feeling this" and having someone experienced in coaching many other lifters who might have perspective on things that could be happening and how to remedy it.

There's things I've learned from coaches that I've never been able to learn or visualize from a book, article, etc.. I would appreciate being confident in programming myself but I don't know that I would ALWAYS opt out of having a coach.

iGone

The Reporter
Reaction score
these posts make me realize how far I am from even needing a coach.
I have no input, i just enjoy reading the input given.

Charger69

Reaction score
Another good book is by Brad Schoenfeld. Science and development of muscle hypertrophy.

Schoenfeld is a renowned expert on hypertrophy and usually is one of the authors of the various stances of the international society of sports nutrition (ISSN).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

silentlemon1011

Resident Jizz Towel
Reaction score
these posts make me realize how far I am from even needing a coach.
I have no input, i just enjoy reading the input given.

Even if youre not at that "Level"
A coach can work wonders for even novices.

By getting a concrete proffesional plan on how to eat and how to train for your personal situation

I got a coach at 21

Even without gear at the time, i got fucking swole fast, he taught me so much and pushed me to my absolute limits, teaching me the true meaning of failure and beyond.

Obviously there isnt a "NEED" for a coach, especially if youre not at "That level" but it can be very beneficial for your long term goals by removing a lot of guesswork

TomJ

"Elite" 😏
Reaction score
As someone who did his own programming for a decade, read every article I could find and soaked up as much advice as I could from every meathead that would give me the time of day growing up, I can say a coach is absolutely worth every penny.

Even if you're very experienced, diligent, and driven, having someone else to hold you accountable is invaluable. I thought I'd need my coach for my prep only since that's where my knowledge gap was, and it wasn't until I started working with him in the off-season that I realized how valuable that resource really is.

10/10 recommend a coach to anyone who wants to take their progress seriously.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Stickler

Elite
Reaction score
As someone who did his own programming for a decade, read every article I could find and soaked up as much advice as I could from every meathead that would give me the time of day growing up, I can say a coach is absolutely worth every penny.

Even if you're very experienced, diligent, and driven, having someone else to hold you accountable is invaluable. I thought I'd need my coach for my prep only since that's where my knowledge gap was, and it wasn't until I started working with him in the off-season that I realized how valuable that resource really is.

10/10 recommend a coach to anyone who wants to take their progress seriously.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk
You guys are making me feel good and confident on my decision to get a coach. Letting someone else take the reigns for a while. Help reprogram my brain and learn some new shit from a professional. Even if it is to just get me back on path.

Last edited:

Be_A_Hero

Reaction score
I agree with the general consensus, I feel like there’s so much info out there now there is a lot we can do ourselves, however a GOOD coach can definitely take one to new heights. In my personal situation I’m spending that money on food 🤷🏿

lfod14

Reaction score
No carb diet, and over 200 grams of fat per day. Kick him to the curb!!!
Sounds like he's got him on Keto without actually using the word. I've seen a lot of that lately. I'm a big Keto fan, but you're not putting on muscle at any rate most would be happy with without at least a carb refeed twice a week.

lfod14

Reaction score
This is my coach, it's no secret, I've talked about him before. So far I'm pleased with him, although it's my first coach, so take it with a grain of salt.

Watch a bunch of his videos, see what you think. I am BY NO MEANS trying to push him on you, but his videos give a really good idea of what he's like. There are plenty of good coaches out there....

Dude's got a pretty impressive transformation on his website! Not sure how I never came across him before.

CJ

Mod Squad
Reaction score
Sounds like he's got him on Keto without actually using the word. I've seen a lot of that lately. I'm a big Keto fan, but you're not putting on muscle at any rate most would be happy with without at least a carb refeed twice a week.
Can you even be in keto with 300 grabs of daily protein though? I don't think so, he's just vevy low carb. I think he has him in the middle of no-man's land, hence why he can't finish the workouts.

RiR0

Sage of Swole
Reaction score
Can you even be in keto with 300 grabs of daily protein though? I don't think so, he's just vevy low carb. I think he has him in the middle of no-man's land, hence why he can't finish the workouts.
Kinda reminds of Palumbos contest prep diet

Reaction score
I've hired a new coach and I'm trying to be patient/trust the process, but feel very frustrated with his methods. Given I'm only a couple weeks in but things are sounding off. I'm not ignorant to the fact that I do not know everything so looking for input on his methods and how to handle this situation. I will not list the coach's name here as I'm not looking to bash his reputation.

Background:

• I hired this coach for 3 months to help me stay accountable and for reassurance that I'm on the right track to my goals (I often second guess my own programming). This year I'm trying to add on a significant amount of mass to possibly do a show next year (preferably 20-30 lbs but I'll take what I can get haha). I'm 5'6 and currently 170 lbs with 6.7% body fat.
• I've been training for over a decade but my diet has never been "ideal". I am a very hard gainer so before hiring this coach admittedly I was eating dirty (lots of carbs, meats, processed foods) and 4,800 calories per day which included 250g of protein. I was gaining approx. 1-2 lbs per week.
• This coach is middle age, HUGE, and very vascular (I don't know his measurements but very impressive physique). He's had a long history in wrestling, powerlifting, and bodybuilding so he seemed pretty knowledgable and experienced.
• Almost all his client testimonials are people that have had the goal to lose weight (this plays into down below)

His Approach:
Nutrition:
• Efficient digestion is key for your body to grow and stay lean​
• Eat every 2.5 hrs to increase appetite and increase metabolism​
• No cardio is needed due to increased metabolism​
• No carbs at all​
• No processed foods at all (including protein powder) - this is just a waste of nutrients/calories​
• Each meal consists of 5 oz of meat or a few eggs, with some added greens (this totals a daily calorie intake of ~3,300 including just under 300g of protein)​
• Liquid egg whites for "protein shakes" morning, night, and post workouts​
• Progress photos every 30 days (no criteria for lighting or posing)​
• Doesn't care about the scale​

Training (I'll keep this brief as this is a nutrition space of the forums):
• atleast 20-30 sets per muscle​
• train each muscle primarily once per week​
• Each week changes training "style" (rep ranges and intensity)​

What I've Learned:
• I have less inflammation w/out carbs (which makes my endurance feel better)
• I can reach my protein goals w/out needing supplemental protein powder shakes
• I can live without carbs haha
• My energy levels may seem to be more stable (due to blood sugar control w/out carbs)
• Although I have NOT gained weight in a couple weeks I have been able to maintain my weight at 1500 calories less than before

My Concerns (I have voiced these):
• The scale has not budged the past couple weeks.

Me - I understand the possibility of body recomp but I'm at ~6% bf - I don't have much to recomp.​
His Answer: "There's always fat to lose that we don't typically see"​
• I should be eating in a calorie surplus.
Me - Although I'm impressed my weight has stayed stable eating 1500 calories less, I'm assuming due to the healthier and more dense foods, I feel he should be adding more calories to my daily intake so that my weight can start trending upwards​
His Answer: "We have to get my digestion more efficient before we get to a calorie surplus"​
• We aren't suppose to watch the scale.
Me - Being so low bodyfat and it being hard for me to hold onto fat the scale tells me a lot. That way I know I'm gaining muscle mass as well as a little fat (which I can afford). I understand for clients with higher bodyfat then an explanation of body recomp might be warranted. So how are we suppose to be tracking progress?​
His Answer: "There are other metrics we care about like how you're feeling and your strength"​
• We are not taking weekly progress photos
Me - ok, if we're not paying attention to the scale then checking weekly progress photos make the most sense. Not only that, but in the same lighting, attire, posing, etc..​
His Answer: "we take photos every 30 days. These are details we don't need to worry about. We care about the big picture"​
Clientele history (Has NOT been voiced yet)
My thoughts - Has he ever had clients that he's "bulked up" or just help lose fat and get more lean?​
• Training Volume
Me - Mid-first week I had overtaining symptoms clearly. Voiced that and he said if you feel wiped mid-workout then that's enough for the day, no need to push yourself to finish the entire workout. IMO the workout is programmed with the given exercises for a reason. Why are we just choosing to skip the latter half rather than just reduce number of sets?​
His Answer: "I dont' expect you to be able to finish the workouts for the first few weeks. We need your body to adapt and catch up."
• The level of Personalization (Has NOT been voiced yet)
Me - I was told this is highly personalized to each client. IMO there has been nothing personalized about it.​
> The workouts he says just stop in middle if you cant finish and we'll get there instead of decreasing the volume until I can build up to that volume.​
> The diet is fine but none of the food is foods that I had on my previous meal plan. Understandably, this may be for the best but from a client's perspective I feel there should be a transition from the client's previous meal plan to a better/healthier one.​
> Still not in a calorie surplus to ensure I'm gaining weight​
Ok, if you made it through all that, thank you. I know it may appear I'm just bitching and moaning, and hell maybe I am. But this is my 3rd coach and from my experience as well as other guys I know all this seems off. No weekly check-ins (photos, weights, etc..), no personalization (it appears), etc. Like I said, I know I'm no expert so if anyone thinks this is reasonable and I just need to stay patient then great I will (please share some insight). Otherwise, how do I address these concerns in a more firm manner without being an outright dick and disrespectful? (I believe the connections we make can bury us or propel us so I'm not one to just burn bridges.)

Cheers!
If your not happy get a new one.

New Threads