What is now off the table.

snake

Veteran
Reaction score
I know I'm over trained but need to extend my lifting cycle a few weeks until vacation. Elbows were barking pretty good 6 weeks ago so I cut out over head rope tri extensions. Now that the elbows are feeling fine, I tried them somewhat light last night... nope! Despite the fact I always loved the movement, I think they are now a NO-NO for my training.

Any of you guys have certain movements that you use to be able to do and now are off the table?

Test_subject

Super Duper Elite
Reaction score
Machine shoulder press. It destroys my left shoulder every time. I have no idea why.

OHP? No problem.
DB Shoulder Press? All day.

Machine Shoulder Press? Crippled.

Yano

Flatlandah
Reaction score
Not a lift mind you , but I cant run any more. Stationary bike for cardio.

Knees will not take the repeated pounding of running.

I tried to jog to the end of the road and back last summer and could barely walk for 2 days.

PZT

Elite
Reaction score
I know I'm over trained but need to extend my lifting cycle a few weeks until vacation. Elbows were barking pretty good 6 weeks ago so I cut out over head rope tri extensions. Now that the elbows are feeling fine, I tried them somewhat light last night... nope! Despite the fact I always loved the movement, I think they are now a NO-NO for my training.

Any of you guys have certain movements that you use to be able to do and now are off the table?
Pretty much barbell & dumbbell pressing

snake

Veteran
Reaction score
Machine shoulder press. It destroys my left shoulder every time. I have no idea why.

OHP? No problem.
DB Shoulder Press? All day.

Machine Shoulder Press? Crippled.
Think it's being locked in that's doing it?

Still, you can hit something close so that's good.

Test_subject

Super Duper Elite
Reaction score
Think it's being locked in that's doing it?

Still, you can hit something close so that's good.
Yeah I think the plane of the lift just doesn’t agree with me.

I’ve tried multiple machines, too.

transcend2007

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I am embarrassed to report being such a pussy ... but honestly my knees are toast (especially my left knee) ... I have given up both squats and deadlifts .. and deads were my favorite movement for years ... Praise the Lord I am still able to row and bench (also luckily no elbow issues currently) - but I know that my 300 pound benching days are limited so I keep things lighter for the most part and focusing on 8 to 12 reps more than those fun days of 3 to 5 super heavy lift days ....

So, @snake you are not alone and you young dudes enjoy putting in the work now knowing that there will come a day (sooner than you can possibly imagine) when some movements will either not be possible or be considerably lighter than today ... time moves so fast and years - even decades fly by ....

Last edited:

Diesel59

Elite
Reaction score
Back machines and MAG bar pulldowns. Both have a tendency to lead to sharp pains in my chest and back, and I'm not sure why.

The free weight exercises don't bother me at all.

buck

Reaction score
I gave up flat BP in the 90's and over head/machine presses a few years later. HIIT on a bike. And more. As the years go by more things just get added to the list.

69nites

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Incline bench. Absolutely can not do it with my partial rotator tear. Thankfully I can still do push press but strict ohp is out as well.

TomJ

"Elite" 😏
Reaction score
Back machines and MAG bar pulldowns. Both have a tendency to lead to sharp pains in my chest and back, and I'm not sure why.

The free weight exercises don't bother me at all.
thats super bizarre!

i love the MAG attachments

Reactions: PZT

snake

Veteran
Reaction score

I tried to jog to the end of the road and back last summer and could barely walk for 2 days.
Yeah that ship sailed about 3 years ago for me too

Human_Backhoe

Photoshop Picasso
Reaction score
Squat and deadlift.

This last herniation did me in. The stenosis is still bad.

I will definitely try again to get back into those two if I can.

Test_subject

Super Duper Elite
Reaction score
Would it make sense to avoid running at an early age to avoid it ever becoming a problem? or run while u can
Depends. I’m 42 and can still run 10km on pavement no problem.

A good pair of shoes makes a huge difference, but joint wear also has a large genetic component.

Reaction score
Depends. I’m 42 and can still run 10km on pavement no problem.

A good pair of shoes makes a huge difference, but joint wear also has a large genetic component.
both my parents got bad knees 😬 maybe i should do the elliptical or something instead

white ape

Elite
Reaction score

Same but shins. Maybe I’m just to heavy

New Threads