Changing source of carbs to fruit.

Reaction score
I have been consuming mostly jasmine rice and potatoes as my primary and main source of carbs for the last year. I am now working to be more inclusive into other carb sources as I have nearly hit my goal weight/physique on the year long recomp. When changing to fruit as source of carbs do I need to be watching the sugar content of the fruit? I have kept sugar intake so minimal it kinda worries me jumping to 40-70 grams a day from fruit. I saw typical male is around d 36 grams sugar a day. I am not consuming processed sugars so I feel like I need to probably get over this idea that sugar is bad. I'm seeing now it's role as quick fuel for the body. Just wanting some opinions, thoughts, feedback. Thanks

Reaction score
It honestly boggles me that people will worry about sugars from fruit. The reason people worry about sugar is because it's easy to overeat and blood sugar spikes, yada yada. Now tell me about anyone who's had that problem from fruits with all the water and fiber. I don't mean that as a slight on you, I mean in general. Eat a pound of plums (about four). That's around 200 kcals and good luck having stomach space for anything else. It's almost painful at that point, lol.

Stickler

Elite
Reaction score
It honestly boggles me that people will worry about sugars from fruit. The reason people worry about sugar is because it's easy to overeat and blood sugar spikes, yada yada. Now tell me about anyone who's had that problem from fruits with all the water and fiber. I don't mean that as a slight on you, I mean in general. Eat a pound of plums (about four). That's around 200 kcals and good luck having stomach space for anything else. It's almost painful at that point, lol.
Not gonna lie, once I thought keto carb or zero carb, it put the fear of ANY sugar in my body as a problem.

I think the issue is we don't know everything, so we get what we need to know and run with it. At least I always used to.

Now, because someone else, who I'm paying to tell me what to do is telling me to eat rice and strawberries is saying it. I am. It's against everything I've been doing for the last 20 years, but I need a change and he is telling me how to do it. I'm not sure why at the moment, but it's just fucking working.

Regarding the 4 plums. You say plums, I think prunes. Which means you eat 4 then no worries on cals OR carbs cuz you're gonna shit EVERYTHING out anyways. Lol

CJ

Mod Squad
Reaction score
I have been consuming mostly jasmine rice and potatoes as my primary and main source of carbs for the last year. I am now working to be more inclusive into other carb sources as I have nearly hit my goal weight/physique on the year long recomp. When changing to fruit as source of carbs do I need to be watching the sugar content of the fruit? I have kept sugar intake so minimal it kinda worries me jumping to 40-70 grams a day from fruit. I saw typical male is around d 36 grams sugar a day. I am not consuming processed sugars so I feel like I need to probably get over this idea that sugar is bad. I'm seeing now it's role as quick fuel for the body. Just wanting some opinions, thoughts, feedback. Thanks
Not sure if you're aware of this or not, but the jasmine rice and potatoes you end wind up as pure glucose in your body after digestion.... A simple sugar.

Don't be scared of fruit. That's simply insane.

Gibsonator

Immovable Object
Reaction score
The real answer is to have a variety of different carbohydrates. Your body doesn't know the difference and processes foods the same way regardless of what you think.
I say give it a try. Note how you feel, pay attention to your weight and physique and see if it is or isn't a good idea.
I personally don't think it's a smart idea to replace all of your carbs with fruit, but maybe start with just a portion and go from there eh?

silentlemon1011

Resident Jizz Towel
Reaction score
The real answer is to have a variety of different carbohydrates. Your body doesn't know the difference and processes foods the same way regardless of what you think.
I say give it a try. Note how you feel, pay attention to your weight and physique and see if it is or isn't a good idea.
I personally don't think it's a smart idea to replace all of your carbs with fruit, but maybe start with just a portion and go from there eh?

This

It all ends up in the same place, bloodstream.

That being said, those with severe digestive issues can potentially benefit from the switch to fruit as the primary carb source.

RiR0

Sage of Swole
Reaction score
My main and more often than not only carb source is fruit and has been for many years.
It’s almost impossible to overeat lean protein and fruit.
Look up the calories of 1lb of watermelon.
There’s a few things you’ll notice.

RiR0

Sage of Swole
Reaction score
Phil Hernon was a scumbag and a scammer but the man was a genius and thought outside of the box when it came to bodybuilding.
Fruit as the main carb source, Greek yogurt, protein isolate and eggwhites as the main protein sources
Full body everyday 1 set to failure training.
The opposite of what youll ever hear from anyone else

TODAY

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I've played around with this a few times and really liked it.

Be aware that if you're an extremely active/large individual, you're likely to need to consume a metric shitload of fruit to sustain performance. Tropical fruits like mango, pineapple, and banana became my defaults when activity levels went up and/or my focus was on building mass. Getting 400+g of carbs/day is not easy to do with just berries and watermelon.

RiR0

Sage of Swole
Reaction score

Be aware that if you're an extremely active/large individual, you're likely to need to consume a metric shitload of fruit to sustain performance. Tropical fruits like mango, pineapple, and banana became my defaults when activity levels went up and/or my focus was on building mass. Getting 400+g of carbs/day is not easy to do with just berries and watermelon.
Yes. It’s important to eat a variety so you get a wide range of nutrients

Reaction score
And I'm sure the price tag racks up quickly compared to trusty staples like rice and oats...

Reactions: CJ

silentlemon1011

Resident Jizz Towel
Reaction score

Not to mention the increased fibre intake on many fruits will pay dividends

Reaction score
It ain't cheap, but buying frozen does tend offset some of the expense.
True that. I'm a sucker for frozen berry mixes then mixing it into cottage cheese or Greek yogurt. Lifter-friendly """ice cream""" surrogate.

Reactions: CJ

TODAY

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Not to mention the increased fibre intake on many fruits will pay dividends
This can actually be more of a problem.

I eat a TON of vegetables because I love them, but I've encountered issues in the past with digestive stress resulting from 80+g of fiber per day. When I was using fruit as my primary carb source, I had to work to reduce my fiber intake because the bloating and gas became a real hindrance.

RiR0

Sage of Swole
Reaction score
This can actually be more of a problem.

I eat a TON of vegetables because I love them, but I've encountered issues in the past with digestive stress resulting from 80+g of fiber per day. When I was using fruit as my primary carb source, I had to work to reduce my fiber intake because the bloating and gas became a real hindrance.
Did you play around with the macro ratios?
Phil started me on a 33 split then adjusted from there

New Threads