How many times a week do you train legs?

rexwal

Reaction score
I've always trained mine once a week. I've had good results, but I'm curious as to see if adding an extra leg day a week will make a difference. Legs are a large muscle group, so I'm sure it wont do harm. Any of you train them twice or more per week? Did you notice any difference from training them only once?

snake

Veteran
Reaction score
Try it; grab your balls and jump.

For me, once a week for decades.

Reaction score
Twice a week here. After 3-4 days my legs are fully recovered and ready to be demolished again. I also like the higher frequency, especially on my lagging bodyparts.

CJ

Mod Squad
Reaction score
Twice per week. A primary full leg day, and a secondary day with no spinal loading, just leg extensions and extra calfs after my main back day.

I hit everything 2x per week, with a main day and a secondary day that's less volume.

Trendkill

👑 Benevolent Sammich King 👑
Reaction score
Twice every 9-10 days for me. Once heavy with low volume and once medium with higher volume.

dk8594

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Once a week and I keep calves and thighs separate. I am of the school that if you can do calves after you did thighs than you didn’t work your thighs hard enough.

Rot-Iron66

Elite
Reaction score
Because of a knee injury or old-man arthritis, I havent been able to SQ for around a year.
BPC helped recover (almost) fully. Still have some slight pain.

Lately what Ive been doing now (only the last couple of weeks) that I am able to SQ again, is to do them on SUN morning.
(Just 3 sets of 315 x 3 reps after many light warm-ups). That's it for that as I want to take it slow w/ them.

Then I do normal leg-day on MON AM. (Leg press, extensions, leg-curls, calves, etc).

flenser

Elite
Reaction score
Squat 3 times a week. Only do a "full" leg workout once a week, though. With the home gym "full" legs is limited to what can be done with a squat rack, vertical press and cross over cables. Need to get a belt for belt squats one of these days.

Skullcrusher

Elite
Reaction score
I would look at every muscle group in the mirror and figure out which muscles are lagging.

Hit those muscles that are lagging at least 2 or even 3 times per week and it will make a difference.

Just gotta keep at it.

Charger69

Reaction score
I have tried just about everything for legs1x a week, 3x a week.
I am presently at 2 x week and I split hamstrings from quads. This seems to work th best for me.
I have old man arthritis and I can see that my body is compensating making one leg bigger. I am also fighting that. I think that I have that under control.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Steeeve

Reaction score
I comp squat once a week and do a secondary squat day that has lately been SSB pause hatfield squats to dissipate some fatigue thats been building in my lower back. I sometimes belt squat or leg press instead but only in prep am I full on lowbar squatting 2x per week.

Methyl mike

Accelerati Incredibilus
Reaction score
I've always trained mine once a week. I've had good results, but I'm curious as to see if adding an extra leg day a week will make a difference. Legs are a large muscle group, so I'm sure it wont do harm. Any of you train them twice or more per week? Did you notice any difference from training them only once?
Twice and I have made great gains with the additional volume. I used the bro or Yates split all my life until recently, a forum member turned me on to Jordan Peter's and I decided to give PPL a shot. It's awesome, for an advanced lifter. I don't think it can be beat unless you have a Leroy Davis in your corner and can do forced reps at the end of max sets (this is still unbeatable for hypertrophy but incredibly difficult to do properly.)

So leg day group A is squats either leg press or Sissy squat (I have a homemade contraption I bring with me) and Extensions Group B is front squats hack squats and walking lunges or Bulgarian splits.

Hamstrings and calves are worked at the end of both and how heavy or how much volume totally depends on how I feel at the time. Usually on A day I get a few sets of lying leg curls and standing calf raises and that is it. Group B seated leg curls stiff deads standing leg curls standing and seated calf raises.

Last edited:

Methyl mike

Accelerati Incredibilus
Reaction score
I have tried just about everything for legs1x a week, 3x a week.
I am presently at 2 x week and I split hamstrings from quads. This seems to work th best for me.
I have old man arthritis and I can see that my body is compensating making one leg bigger. I am also fighting that. I think that I have that under control.

The size imbalance could be due to tightness in your hams calves lower back can also be due to IT band issues (when you squat or leg press heavy one knee will flutter that's a good indicator) and/or weak/tight hips.

Charger69

Reaction score
The size imbalance could be due to tightness in your hams calves lower back can also be due to IT band issues (when you squat or leg press heavy one knee will flutter that's a good indicator) and/or weak/tight hips.

It’s arthritis in my left knee. When doing one leg at a time, it is totally evident.
I just found out about cortisone. Game changer- I do not need to go through so much pain on leg day.

ATLRigger

Elite
Reaction score
Whichever body part im focusing for three months increments gets trained twice weekly. Right now that’s rear delts, traps, and upper back that get hit twice weekly.

Reactions: CJ

CJ

Mod Squad
Reaction score
Whichever body part im focusing for three months increments gets trained twice weekly. Right now that’s rear delts, traps, and upper back that get hit twice weekly.
I'm experimenting with 4 Week focus blocks myself right now. Back and shoulders are getting extra volume right now.