Steroids helping cancer patients

MadeInDixie

Reaction score
Does anyone know if anabolics can help with a cancer patients recovery? My dad is fighting cancer again after being in remission for 3 years. This time he has lost more weight and doesn't really have an appetite or energy like he did last time he was doing his treatments. Ive talked with him about this and he said his doc mentioned something about putting him on some, but didn't really go into detail. Just wondering if anyone has dealt with this or has info about it. Thanks in advance.

Jin

Retired UG Staff
Reaction score
Marijuana may be a better alternative if he needs more appetite/weight gain. Simpler and less things to manage.

MadeInDixie

Reaction score
We live in the bible belt and my grandad (dad's dad) was a Baptist pastor, so we don't drink or smoke. I don't think my dad has even tried marijuana before. Lol.

Gadawg

The Tick
Reaction score
If you live in the dark ages still, hes going to be in unnecessary discomfort for no reason. Cannabis is a miracle for cancer and cancer recovery. I guess he can pray to feel better though and see if that works........

PillarofBalance

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
We live in the bible belt and my grandad (dad's dad) was a Baptist pastor, so we don't drink or smoke. I don't think my dad has even tried marijuana before. Lol.

They make all sorts of edibles and transdermals and such. Doesn't have to smoke it. Maybe that would make him feel more comfortable.

Ridiculous that the easy safer choice is the hardest?

stevenmd

Elite
Reaction score
There are a few studies out there when they used Deca to help AIDS patients gain weight. I know it's not cancer but thought I'd throw that out there. The dosage was 600mg/week of Deca and 200mg/week Test for the major study. I went through cancer with my dad so I understand the weight is carries on you and your family. Best of luck.

jennerrator

Fallen Member
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
If you are just talking about steroids for training.....no.....they aren't going to help him.

I agree with certain MJ that will give him some hunger (edibles if he won't smoke) if this is only about him needing hunger to survive for sure

I was given certain meds by my Oncologist due to what I was going through (cancer) but it was not given to me mainly for hunger...but it saved my ass. Have him talk to his oncologist, they should be able to help

Sorry to hear about this...I hope he gets thru this!

Prednisone was the one I was on forever....caused some hunger but I'm not a huge eater in general...

Last edited:

Itburnstopee

Elite
Reaction score
SARMS were developed to help cancer patients retain muscle mass. Ostarine would probably be the best. I've read some people mentioning it also gave them a more "overall uplifted and alpha" feeling so I'm sure it'd help with his energy too.

Viduus

Elite
Reaction score
EQ for hunger? Not sure... I believe a lot were originally developed for aids, cancer or other conditions that lead to muscle atrophy..

Gadawg

The Tick
Reaction score
Certain cancers are fed by certain hormones so steroids would be a case by case basis. I have a friend who barely survived breast cancer and they have completely shut down her estrogen bc it was feeding that type so you need to be careful.

I will say that she was on massive amounts of opiates and then methodone to deal with the pain. Lost tons of weight and felt awful on both and switched to weed. She has a med card now (NY). And her life is back on track in every way.

The religious right keeping people from this medicine are cancers to me and the politicians profiting from pharma are the same. People are literally dying for no reason and why? A totally harmless plant.

KINGIV

Elite
Reaction score
What type of cancer does he have? Without knowing the details I have to say I think it would do him a great deal of good to be on some sort of anabolic steroids. I would personally speak more with his doctor about which steroids and what dosages.

I've had a lot of friends and family members go through this over the years and have seen the effects first-hand of the muscle wasting that comes with it. It's very sad to see one's you love that weak and frail.

Gadawg, not trying to get political here but I must say, I don't think the religious right is stopping people from using marijuana, that's the government because if the religious right had that much power they would go after a lot of other things instead of marijuana. Just saying!

However this thread is not about politics so if you would like to discuss more just send me a PM bro

MrRippedZilla

Retired
Reaction score
AAS is a growth inducer. Most cancers really fancy a growth environment. This sounds like a really stupid idea unless you're under the care of a medical professional who knows a lot about both (AAS & cancers). That rules out the board by the way.

Oh and AIDS and cancer are not remotely the same thing so, lets cut that crappy comparison out please.

Last edited:

KINGIV

Elite
Reaction score
This sounds like a really stupid idea unless you're under the care of a medical professional who knows a lot of both (AAS & cancers). That rules out the board by the way.
Agreed and his father's doctor's the one who brought it up.

Oh and AIDS and cancer are not remotely the same thing so, lets cut that crappy comparison out please.
I wouldn't say there's no comparison whatsoever.

BigSwolePump

Elite
Reaction score
I don't see how talking about certain things that were originally created to increase appetite in AIDS patients as a possibility to stimulate appetite in cancer patients is a comparison to the two.
Tho OP said that his fathers doctor mentioned the possibility of prescribing him steroids for it. It is not unheard of for doctors to prescribe AAS to cancer patients to help maintain and regain body weight. Its effective for certain types of cancer. Either way, I think that everyone here is giving some input and that is the purpose of this discussion and no one here has an opinion that is greater than everyone elses.

Personally, I wouldn't add anything to a qualified doctors approach to fighting cancer. The only exception would be cannabis in a state where its not legal.

MrRippedZilla

Retired
Reaction score
I wouldn't say there's no comparison whatsoever.
In relation to this discussion, the comparison sucks.

AIDs is a virus that damages your cells and weakens you so yes, taking AAS may help manage the condition easier. It has nothing to do with whether you're in a growth environment or not because it's a virus. Not a cell.
Cancer is literally all about cells somewhere in your body growing & reproducing at varying rates and destroying the good stuff along the way. AAS is also all about cellular growth - especially if we're talking satellite cells. Hell, keto diets are being investigated for the potential to help with some cancers. Why? Anti-growth. So taking AAS may help or may make things worse depending on the cancer in question and a myriad of other things that I'm not knowledgeable enough to discuss.

See what I mean by the comparison being crappy? The negative interaction between AIDs & AAS vs cancer & AAS is too different for it to be a simple "well it works for one, might work for another" type of deal.

Last edited:

KINGIV

Elite
Reaction score
In relation to this discussion, the comparison sucks.

AIDs is a virus that damages your cells and weakens you so yes, taking AAS may help manage the condition easier. It has nothing to do with whether you're in a growth environment or not because it's a virus. Not a cell.
Cancer is literally all about cells somewhere in your body growing & reproducing at varying rates and destroying the good stuff along the way. AAS is also all about cellular growth - especially if we're talking satellite cells. Hell, keto diets are being investigated for the potential to help with some cancers. Why? Anti-growth. So taking AAS may help or may make things worse depending on the cancer in question and a myriad of other things that I'm not knowledgeable enough to discuss.

See what I mean by the comparison being crappy? The negative interaction between AIDs & AAS vs cancer & AAS is too different for it to be a simple "well it works for one, might work for another" type of deal.

From my understanding though some viruses cause cancer and AIDS has a relation ship with some types of cancer. I suppose those are some of the determining factors for if it's appropriate for AAS. I'm also wondering if the doctor was speaking about cortico steroids and not anabolic steroids. When I was a kid I had a buddy who thought he was on steroids because they prescribed him cortico steroids lol

You make some good points but hell even doctors and scientist don't see eye-to-eye and agree with how treat or let alone cure either one of these diseases. They're just too damn complex.

Disclaimer! OP, this is not a suggestion in any way!
Wasn't DNP the first attempt at treatment for cancer before radiation? I believe I read some studies about that years ago, maybe I'm mistaken though.

stevenmd

Elite
Reaction score
There are a few studies out there when they used Deca to help AIDS patients gain weight. I know it's not cancer but thought I'd throw that out there. The dosage was 600mg/week of Deca and 200mg/week Test for the major study. I went through cancer with my dad so I understand the weight is carries on you and your family. Best of luck.
What the mother f@ck... I specifically said "I know it's not cancer but thought I'd throw that out there." Now where did I say there was a comparison between the two??? You guys need to learn to read better. The only reason I mentioned deca and that study was bc when my Dad was going through cancer, his muscle tissue was wasting away just like AIDS patients go through.

MrRippedZilla

Retired
Reaction score
What the mother f@ck... I specifically said "I know it's not cancer but thought I'd throw that out there." Now where did I say there was a comparison between the two??? You guys need to learn to read better. The only reason I mentioned deca and that study was bc when my Dad was going through cancer, his muscle tissue was wasting away just like AIDS patients go through.
I actually wasn't referring to you. It was more of a "I can see where this discussion might be going" pre-emptive action. Don't take these things personally. If I wanted to call you out specifically, I would have :)

KINGIV

Elite
Reaction score

Take a breath and chill bro
You didn't and no one was attacking you for your statement, unless I'm missing something.

stevenmd

Elite
Reaction score
I actually wasn't referring to you. It was more of a "I can see where this discussion might be going" pre-emptive action. Don't take these things personally. If I wanted to call you out specifically, I would have :)

Take a breath and chill bro
You didn't and no one was attacking you for your statement, unless I'm missing something.
I think I was the only one who mentioned steroids being used for AIDS patients... so not sure who anyone else could be talking about. :p LOL, no need for me to chill. I'm not upset, sorry if I came across like that, totally not my intent. :32 (1): But, yeah, looking at what I wrote, I can see how I looked upset. Sometimes I forget to write differently than what my brain says.

New Threads