Thinking of switching routine anyone do double muscle group?

Bobbyloads

Elite
Reaction score
I was thinking about switching shit up see if it will work anyone doing 2 muscle groups a day? Wanted to see how to pull this off I was thinking

back/biceps
Chest/triceps

Then I get lost cause legs would need to be a full day then that leaves shoulders should I do back and legs solo? And do shoulders and biceps? And I’m having a difficult time wrapping my mind around only 4 days a week I wanna do 5 keeps me motivated.

Let me know what you guys think what order when throw rest days etc…

Skullcrusher

Elite
Reaction score
I was doing

Chest and Triceps
Back and Biceps
Legs
Shoulder and Traps

but will probably go to more of a body part split

Chest + anterior delt
Back + posterior delt
Legs - quads, glutes, hams, calves
Traps + lateral delt
Arms - triceps and biceps

CJ

Mod Squad
Reaction score
I was thinking about switching shit up see if it will work anyone doing 2 muscle groups a day? Wanted to see how to pull this off I was thinking

back/biceps
Chest/triceps

Then I get lost cause legs would need to be a full day then that leaves shoulders should I do back and legs solo? And do shoulders and biceps? And I’m having a difficult time wrapping my mind around only 4 days a week I wanna do 5 keeps me motivated.

Let me know what you guys think what order when throw rest days etc…
So do 5 days, just do the workouts in a rotation.

Push Pull Legs is a very common split.

Push Day is chest, shoulders, tris
Pull Day is back and bis
Leg Day is legs... Duhhhh

That's the general skeleton, can be modified many different ways for different goals.

But just so you know, you can't keep doing the high volume per workout that you were doing. Since you're hitting body parts more frequently, you'll do less per workout, but it'll roughly even out because you hit them more often.

And on the plus side, since you're doing less per workout, you get more productive sets, since we all naturally fall off as the workout goes on. 12 sets in 1 session is LESS productive than 6 sets in 2 workouts, even though they're both 12 sets.

MrBafner

Reaction score
Chest and Biceps
Back and Triceps
Shoulders and hamstrings
Quads and calves

dk8594

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Here is mine Bobbyloads.

Day 1: Back
Day 2: Shoulders/Triceps
Day 3: Thighs
Day 4: Rest
Day 5: Chest / triceps
Day 6: Calves/Abs
Day 7: Rest

I have tried to sequence it so that the most taxing days are sequenced either next to a less taxing one or an off day. For example legs is proceeded by a WO less taxing on the CNS (Shoulder/ triceps) and followed by an day off.

Also, if you are afraid of losing motivation by not being in the gym use your off days for cardio. Whether you are cutting or not, we are both at the age where it makes sense to do it for our health. (Plus it will make you leg day easier if you aren’t gasping for so much air)

Bobbyloads

Elite
Reaction score
Here is mine Bobbyloads.

I have tried to sequence it so that the most taxing days are sequenced either next to a less taxing one or an off day. For example legs is proceeded by a WO less taxing on the CNS (Shoulder/ triceps) and followed by an day off.

Also, if you are afraid of losing motivation by not being in the gym use your off days for cardio. Whether you are cutting or not, we are both at the age where it makes sense to do it for our health. (Plus it will make you leg day easier if you aren’t gasping for so much air)

where’s biceps? Lol my fav

FearThaGear

Reaction score
Here is mine Bobbyloads.

I like everything about this workout except that I would add biceps to my back day.

Bobbyloads

Elite
Reaction score
So do 5 days, just do the workouts in a rotation.

Push Pull Legs is a very common split.

Push Day is chest, shoulders, tris
Pull Day is back and bis
Leg Day is legs... Duhhhh

That's the general skeleton, can be modified many different ways for different goals.

But just so you know, you can't keep doing the high volume per workout that you were doing. Since you're hitting body parts more frequently, you'll do less per workout, but it'll roughly even out because you hit them more often.

And on the plus side, since you're doing less per workout, you get more productive sets, since we all naturally fall off as the workout goes on. 12 sets in 1 session is LESS productive than 6 sets in 2 workouts, even though they're both 12 sets.
Yeah I have to sit down and figure this out but I like this one

CJ

Mod Squad
Reaction score
Yeah I have to sit down and figure this out but I like this one
Since you also said you only like doing legs once per week, you can pick a day that's dedicated to legs, then rotate between push and pull.

You could also have an A+B day for push and pull. So Push A would be chest focused with a little shoulders, and Push B would be shoulders focused with a little chest.

Just some examples of how it can be tweaked.

CJ

Mod Squad
Reaction score
There really is no perfect split though. It's just about getting the volume YOU need in, in an organized intelligent manner, that fits your schedule. Many roads lead to Rome.

Bobbyloads

Elite
Reaction score
Since you also said you only like doing legs once per week, you can pick a day that's dedicated to legs, then rotate between push and pull.

You could also have an A+B day for push and pull. So Push A would be chest focused with a little shoulders, and Push B would be shoulders focused with a little chest.

Just some examples of how it can be tweaked.
I’m just having difficulties cause like shoulders I usually do 2 exercises for each delt gonna figure this shit out have to have a game plan for after this new method runs out to keep trucking these muscles

j2048b

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
.......prolly not what u were looking for ....my bad

Last edited:

MrBafner

Reaction score
You could go a completely different style ... 3 muscle groups per day, 2 exercises for each

3 sets per exercise .. 4 days a week, which works every muscle 2 times per week and 3 days rest for your injury.

Train Mon, Tues, Wed, Thurs and have Fri to Sun off

CJ

Mod Squad
Reaction score
I’m just having difficulties cause like shoulders I usually do 2 exercises for each delt gonna figure this shit out have to have a game plan for after this new method runs out to keep trucking these muscles
-Rear Delts on Pull Day
Alternate sets with a biceps exercise

-Front Delts on Push Day
Alternate sets with a triceps exercise, or pressing exercises for the front delts.

-Lateral Delts on Leg Day
Alternate sets with a calfs exercise

That's just one example.

Bro Bundy

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Keep playing around until u find what’s the best for you . Keep in mind it’s takes time u can’t switch up shit for a few weeks and expect to know if this is right for u .

Send0

Taskmaster (Moderator)
Reaction score
-Rear Delts on Pull Day
Alternate sets with a biceps exercise

-Front Delts on Push Day
Alternate sets with a triceps exercise, or pressing exercises for the front delts.

-Lateral Delts on Leg Day
Alternate sets with a calfs exercise

That's just one example.
I like this modification quite a bit. I've been looking for ways to shorten my push day, and I think splitting up my shoulder work like this will help significantly. Thanks!

Reactions: CJ

Skullcrusher

Elite
Reaction score
Routine I decided on for myself:

Monday - Back and Biceps
Tuesday - Chest and Triceps
Wednesday - Legs
Thursday - Traps and Shoulders
Friday - Arms...or lagging muscle
Saturday - Rest ...or lagging muscle
Sunday - Rest